Re: [rootsradicals] DIY infant carrier

  • Neil Travers
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 21, 2012
      I didn't try cycling with our child until he was about a year old (front seat) , but for someone who has,  see
      And some comments on one of their other posts. Though they also went for a trailer.

      Neil.

      On 20 Nov 2012, at 19:06, phishead_g <gussesg@...> wrote:

      I have rode an x for years and absoultely love it! My wife and I just had a baby and I was woundering if anyone had made there own infant carrier. I was thinking of finding an old car seat and drilling holes in it to be able to mount it to the wooden board that comes with the free rad kit. Any thoughts/suggestions?

      Thanks, George

    • Sean
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 21, 2012
        I have been very adventurous with all 3 of my kids on bikes, to the disagreement of some folks who do not gel with my philosophy. I would add a different approach than some have advised. It will be a whole lot of work and inconvenient to buy, devise and incorporate a safe means to do this properly for the short amount of time they are that small. Not to mention, all that hassle could take some of the fun out of it. I would hang tight until the little guy can fit properly into a front mounted seat like a Ibert or a weeride. They are awesome since you can easily talk to them the whole time you are riding. Little ones require lots of conversation to keep busy and entertained while riding. The weeride also has a cool fixed pad in front in the event they fall asleep (which happened all the time with my kids). Once they get big enough to hold on then swap to the rear rider options. I think a stoker stem/bar with some bmx buddy pegs work great.

        Contact me off list for details on the stoker set up.

        Sean

        Sent from my iPad

        On Nov 20, 2012, at 11:06 AM, "phishead_g" <gussesg@...> wrote:

        I have rode an x for years and absoultely love it! My wife and I just had a baby and I was woundering if anyone had made there own infant carrier. I was thinking of finding an old car seat and drilling holes in it to be able to mount it to the wooden board that comes with the free rad kit. Any thoughts/suggestions?

        Thanks, George

      • Liz W Durham
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 22, 2012

          I totally second the front seat! I used a bobike mini for my son. It was great. He and I could interact, he had the best view of all, bike balance stayed stable. Once he started to get too tall to sit in front of me I retro-fit his mini seat to the snap deck and he started riding behind me. By the time he was 3 1/2 we tossed the seat entirely and sat him directly on the snap deck along with a stoker bar and seat belt.
          I know the excitement of wanting to bring your new little one riding. It really will be safest to wait until the baby isn't quite so "new." The bouncing and jarring of a bike ride is a lot of force for an infant, especially if he or she is on the back of the bike. And don't forget that the addition of a helmet is a lot of extra weight for the little one to manage. Another reason to consider waiting and going with a front mount seat is that I bet you will notice more potential bumps that would be too much for the little one. It just gives a different perspective with your babe practically nestled in between your arms while riding.

          On Nov 21, 2012 11:12 PM, "Sean" <gear.head@...> wrote:

          > I have been very adventurous with all 3 of my kids on bikes, to the disagreement of some folks who do not gel with my philosophy. I would add a different approach than some have advised. It will be a whole lot of work and inconvenient to buy, devise and incorporate a safe means to do this properly for the short amount of time they are that small. Not to mention, all that hassle could take some of the fun out of it. I would hang tight until the little guy can fit properly into a front mounted seat like a Ibert or a weeride. They are awesome since you can easily talk to them the whole time you are riding. Little ones require lots of conversation to keep busy and entertained while riding. The weeride also has a cool fixed pad in front in the event they fall asleep (which happened all the time with my kids). Once they get big enough to hold on then swap to the rear rider options. I think a stoker stem/bar with some bmx buddy pegs work great.
          >
          > Contact me off list for details on the stoker set up.
          >
          > Sean
          >
          > Sent from my iPad
          >
          > On Nov 20, 2012, at 11:06 AM, "phishead_g" <gussesg@...> wrote:
          >

          >> I have rode an x for years and absoultely love it! My wife and I just had a baby and I was woundering if anyone had made there own infant carrier. I was thinking of finding an old car seat and drilling holes in it to be able to mount it to the wooden board that comes with the free rad kit. Any thoughts/suggestions?
          >>
          >> Thanks, George

        • Neil Travers
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 22, 2012
            Definitely agree the bobike mini is great once they are big enough.

            But if they are too small to go in a front seat they really should not be wearing a helmet!

            Neil.

            On 22 Nov 2012, at 09:37, Liz W Durham <lizwdurham@...> wrote:

            I totally second the front seat! I used a bobike mini for my son. It was great. He and I could interact, he had the best view of all, bike balance stayed stable. Once he started to get too tall to sit in front of me I retro-fit his mini seat to the snap deck and he started riding behind me. By the time he was 3 1/2 we tossed the seat entirely and sat him directly on the snap deck along with a stoker bar and seat belt.
            I know the excitement of wanting to bring your new little one riding. It really will be safest to wait until the baby isn't quite so "new." The bouncing and jarring of a bike ride is a lot of force for an infant, especially if he or she is on the back of the bike. And don't forget that the addition of a helmet is a lot of extra weight for the little one to manage. Another reason to consider waiting and going with a front mount seat is that I bet you will notice more potential bumps that would be too much for the little one. It just gives a different perspective with your babe practically nestled in between your arms while riding.

            On Nov 21, 2012 11:12 PM, "Sean" <gear.head@...> wrote:

            > I have been very adventurous with all 3 of my kids on bikes, to the disagreement of some folks who do not gel with my philosophy. I would add a different approach than some have advised. It will be a whole lot of work and inconvenient to buy, devise and incorporate a safe means to do this properly for the short amount of time they are that small. Not to mention, all that hassle could take some of the fun out of it. I would hang tight until the little guy can fit properly into a front mounted seat like a Ibert or a weeride. They are awesome since you can easily talk to them the whole time you are riding. Little ones require lots of conversation to keep busy and entertained while riding. The weeride also has a cool fixed pad in front in the event they fall asleep (which happened all the time with my kids). Once they get big enough to hold on then swap to the rear rider options. I think a stoker stem/bar with some bmx buddy pegs work great.
            >
            > Contact me off list for details on the stoker set up.
            >
            > Sean
            >
            > Sent from my iPad
            >
            > On Nov 20, 2012, at 11:06 AM, "phishead_g" <gussesg@...> wrote:
            >

            >> I have rode an x for years and absoultely love it! My wife and I just had a baby and I was woundering if anyone had made there own infant carrier. I was thinking of finding an old car seat and drilling holes in it to be able to mount it to the wooden board that comes with the free rad kit. Any thoughts/suggestions?
            >>
            >> Thanks, George

          • Liz W Durham
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 22, 2012

              I agree with that Neil. Didn't mean to imply otherwise.

              On Nov 22, 2012 8:08 AM, "Neil Travers" <neil.travers+yg@...> wrote:

              Definitely agree the bobike mini is great once they are big enough.

              But if they are too small to go in a front seat they really should not be wearing a helmet!

              Neil.

              On 22 Nov 2012, at 09:37, Liz W Durham <lizwdurham@...> wrote:

              I totally second the front seat! I used a bobike mini for my son. It was great. He and I could interact, he had the best view of all, bike balance stayed stable. Once he started to get too tall to sit in front of me I retro-fit his mini seat to the snap deck and he started riding behind me. By the time he was 3 1/2 we tossed the seat entirely and sat him directly on the snap deck along with a stoker bar and seat belt.
              I know the excitement of wanting to bring your new little one riding. It really will be safest to wait until the baby isn't quite so "new." The bouncing and jarring of a bike ride is a lot of force for an infant, especially if he or she is on the back of the bike. And don't forget that the addition of a helmet is a lot of extra weight for the little one to manage. Another reason to consider waiting and going with a front mount seat is that I bet you will notice more potential bumps that would be too much for the little one. It just gives a different perspective with your babe practically nestled in between your arms while riding.

              On Nov 21, 2012 11:12 PM, "Sean" <gear.head@...> wrote:

              > I have been very adventurous with all 3 of my kids on bikes, to the disagreement of some folks who do not gel with my philosophy. I would add a different approach than some have advised. It will be a whole lot of work and inconvenient to buy, devise and incorporate a safe means to do this properly for the short amount of time they are that small. Not to mention, all that hassle could take some of the fun out of it. I would hang tight until the little guy can fit properly into a front mounted seat like a Ibert or a weeride. They are awesome since you can easily talk to them the whole time you are riding. Little ones require lots of conversation to keep busy and entertained while riding. The weeride also has a cool fixed pad in front in the event they fall asleep (which happened all the time with my kids). Once they get big enough to hold on then swap to the rear rider options. I think a stoker stem/bar with some bmx buddy pegs work great.
              >
              > Contact me off list for details on the stoker set up.
              >
              > Sean
              >
              > Sent from my iPad
              >
              > On Nov 20, 2012, at 11:06 AM, "phishead_g" <gussesg@...> wrote:
              >

              >> I have rode an x for years and absoultely love it! My wife and I just had a baby and I was woundering if anyone had made there own infant carrier. I was thinking of finding an old car seat and drilling holes in it to be able to mount it to the wooden board that comes with the free rad kit. Any thoughts/suggestions?
              >>
              >> Thanks, George

            • David Dannenberg
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 22, 2012
                When mine were little I strapped the carseat right into the Burley trailer. Worked great. Don't remember how old they were when I first did this. I don't think I did any damage. They are certainly healthy young adults right now. Car seat offers lots of great protection and support. This is not to say that waiting several months is not a great idea, only that when you do start you might as well use a system designed to carry them securely in a moving vehicle.