Re: [rootsradicals] What is your favorite non-Kickback kickstand?

  • Pete B
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 15, 2012

      The limitation is not the stand, rather it's the mounting plate...
      I fitted a heavy duty chinese steel kickstand after breaking successive different aluminium ones. Instead of the stand breaking, the mounting plate itself slowly tore away from the front cross tube.
      Go with a cheap alloy stand and replace it if (when?) it breaks. That way the point of failure is not your Freerad and will only cost you a $15 stand.

      IMHO the Kickback is definitely worth the money in the long term...

      On Nov 16, 2012 5:40 AM, "kiltie_celt" <kiltie_celt@...> wrote:

      Title says is all. If you don't want to pay $150 for a center kickstand, what would be your favorite choice? I don't imagine the stand that comes with the base FreeRadical kit is any good at doing anything other than holding up an unloaded bike, so I'm considering heavier duty center stand options for my build, because I can't afford the $150 for the Kickback. At some point I can probably go to the local maker-space and tool up a kickback knock-off at some point. I guess the major issue is the weight capacity of non-Kickback center stands.

    • I_am_Bo
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 16, 2012
        I had a double-leg Pletscher on my Big Donkey for a couple of years, then gave it back to a friend when he bought a Big Dummy.

        I replaced it with a $10 single legged Greenfield kickstand and have found I much prefer the single legged stand . . . especially with heavy loads and/or wideloaders on.

        With the single leg I can tilt the loaded bike up to vertical and roll it forward or backward while the kickstand is still deployed, then just lean it back over when I have the bike exactly where I want it. A little thing, but something I found I have a strong preference about.

        The stand has been plenty sturdy under some exceptionally heavy loads, and quite stable underneath an excited two year old (under close supervision of course).

        You can see a few kickstand action shots here:

        http://www.bikewrider.blogspot.com/2012/05/dummy-donkey-day.html
      • kiltie_celt
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 17, 2012
          Sounds good to me. I just received my FreeRadical on Friday. Over the next few days I'm going to be cleaning up all the parts off the donor bike after which I'll start putting everything back together. I'll stick with the stock kickstand for the time being and file it under that whole, "if it ain't broke..." thing. By the way, what sort of science were you doing? An Xtracycle seems like it'd be a great bike for hauling loads when doing field work, assuming there is good road/trail access.