What is your favorite non-Kickback kickstand?

  • kiltie_celt
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 15, 2012
      Title says is all. If you don't want to pay $150 for a center kickstand, what would be your favorite choice? I don't imagine the stand that comes with the base FreeRadical kit is any good at doing anything other than holding up an unloaded bike, so I'm considering heavier duty center stand options for my build, because I can't afford the $150 for the Kickback. At some point I can probably go to the local maker-space and tool up a kickback knock-off at some point. I guess the major issue is the weight capacity of non-Kickback center stands.
    • Jeff Youngstrom
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 15, 2012
        If you're carrying stuff (not people), and can load the bike such that the center of gravity can still lean towards the kickstand, then the stock kickstand is perfectly adequate for anything but stupid-heavy loads in my experience.

        The kickback is more forgiving of how evenly you load and can cope with a certain amount of squirming around of live cargo.

        If money and weight are no object, get the kickback. If either is a factor, try the stock stand and see how it goes. Don't try to solve a problem until you know it's a problem (this goes for so many things about building up an xtracycle. And other parts of life.)

        IMHO, YMMV, yada yada...
        Jeff

        On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 11:40 AM, kiltie_celt <kiltie_celt@...> wrote:

        Title says is all. If you don't want to pay $150 for a center kickstand, what would be your favorite choice? I don't imagine the stand that comes with the base FreeRadical kit is any good at doing anything other than holding up an unloaded bike, so I'm considering heavier duty center stand options for my build, because I can't afford the $150 for the Kickback. At some point I can probably go to the local maker-space and tool up a kickback knock-off at some point. I guess the major issue is the weight capacity of non-Kickback center stands.

      • Brian Livelsberger

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 15, 2012
            "Don't try to solve a problem until you know it's a problem (this goes for so many things about building up an xtracycle. And other parts of life.)

            IMHO, YMMV, yada yada...
            Jeff"

            I had to chuckle when I read this. Too true. I just assumed that Xtracycle included the most basic leaning-type kickstand that would not be the greatest thing except for holding up an unloaded bike. Sounds like it's pretty decent to start out with. I'll give it a try before spending money on anything else. Thanks for the advice.

            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Youngstrom <jeffy@...> wrote:

            > If you're carrying stuff (not people), and can load the bike such that the
            > center of gravity can still lean towards the kickstand, then the stock
            > kickstand is perfectly adequate for anything but stupid-heavy loads in my
            > experience.
            >
            > The kickback is more forgiving of how evenly you load and can cope with a
            > certain amount of squirming around of live cargo.
            >
            > If money and weight are no object, get the kickback. If either is a factor,
            > try the stock stand and see how it goes. Don't try to solve a problem until
            > you know it's a problem (this goes for so many things about building up an
            > xtracycle. And other parts of life.)
            >
            > IMHO, YMMV, yada yada...
            > Jeff
            >

            > On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 11:40 AM, kiltie_celt <kiltie_celt@...> wrote:
            >
            > > **
            > >

            > > Title says is all. If you don't want to pay $150 for a center kickstand,
            > > what would be your favorite choice? I don't imagine the stand that comes
            > > with the base FreeRadical kit is any good at doing anything other than
            > > holding up an unloaded bike, so I'm considering heavier duty center stand
            > > options for my build, because I can't afford the $150 for the Kickback. At
            > > some point I can probably go to the local maker-space and tool up a
            > > kickback knock-off at some point. I guess the major issue is the weight
            > > capacity of non-Kickback center stands.

          • David Forbes
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 15, 2012
              On 11/15/12 7:07 PM, Brian Livelsberger wrote:

              > I carry a 5yo and a 2yo home from day care every day on my Xtracycle
              > with the stock side stand. I have to make sure that their things are
              > lashed down first, then I spot the bike while they climb on. It is
              > remarkably well placed, holding them all up as long as they don't squirm
              > (no, I don't rely on that!), so there is really minimal spotting that I
              > have to do. Then we're off and riding. Would I love a kickback? YES! Do
              > I absolutely need it? No.
              >
              > Brian near DC

              I concur. I have a big 80 lb stereo system on my Xtracycle.

              http://www.cathodecorner.com/loudbike/index.html

              It is held up very well by the stock kickstand. I have to remove one
              speaker cabinet to get the thing into my storage room. It stays up
              either with 30 lbs. of extra load on the kickstand side, or when the
              load is balanced.

              I had to add an extension foot-pedal to the kickstand to allow me to
              operate it with the big speaker tube right above it. Works great.
              --
              David Forbes, Tucson AZ
            • Pete B
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 15, 2012

                The limitation is not the stand, rather it's the mounting plate...
                I fitted a heavy duty chinese steel kickstand after breaking successive different aluminium ones. Instead of the stand breaking, the mounting plate itself slowly tore away from the front cross tube.
                Go with a cheap alloy stand and replace it if (when?) it breaks. That way the point of failure is not your Freerad and will only cost you a $15 stand.

                IMHO the Kickback is definitely worth the money in the long term...

                On Nov 16, 2012 5:40 AM, "kiltie_celt" <kiltie_celt@...> wrote:

                Title says is all. If you don't want to pay $150 for a center kickstand, what would be your favorite choice? I don't imagine the stand that comes with the base FreeRadical kit is any good at doing anything other than holding up an unloaded bike, so I'm considering heavier duty center stand options for my build, because I can't afford the $150 for the Kickback. At some point I can probably go to the local maker-space and tool up a kickback knock-off at some point. I guess the major issue is the weight capacity of non-Kickback center stands.

              • I_am_Bo
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 16, 2012
                  I had a double-leg Pletscher on my Big Donkey for a couple of years, then gave it back to a friend when he bought a Big Dummy.

                  I replaced it with a $10 single legged Greenfield kickstand and have found I much prefer the single legged stand . . . especially with heavy loads and/or wideloaders on.

                  With the single leg I can tilt the loaded bike up to vertical and roll it forward or backward while the kickstand is still deployed, then just lean it back over when I have the bike exactly where I want it. A little thing, but something I found I have a strong preference about.

                  The stand has been plenty sturdy under some exceptionally heavy loads, and quite stable underneath an excited two year old (under close supervision of course).

                  You can see a few kickstand action shots here:

                  http://www.bikewrider.blogspot.com/2012/05/dummy-donkey-day.html
                • kiltie_celt
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 17, 2012
                    Sounds good to me. I just received my FreeRadical on Friday. Over the next few days I'm going to be cleaning up all the parts off the donor bike after which I'll start putting everything back together. I'll stick with the stock kickstand for the time being and file it under that whole, "if it ain't broke..." thing. By the way, what sort of science were you doing? An Xtracycle seems like it'd be a great bike for hauling loads when doing field work, assuming there is good road/trail access.