Re: Towing bikes with xtracycle

  • David Dannenberg
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 30, 2012
      Drill through the wood on the inside of the wideloader bar and thread stainless steel hose clamps (or zip ties) through and around the wideloader bar. Or, on the bottom of the board use the little clamps used to mount pipe or conduit to a wall.

      David Dannenberg
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 31, 2012
        How does the Yuba Mundo avoid having a towed bike’s fork, stem,
        handlebar, etc. rub or bump against the long tail framing? From the
        photos it looks like there is some sort of narrow black plastic bumper
        screwed horizontally to the long tail framing, but I do not see how it
        alone prevents the towed bike from leaning away from the hauling bike. I
        would imagine tie-downs of some sort must be needed to restrain the bike
        against the long tail framing, which is why that plastic strip is
        necessary as protection between the two bikes.

        According to the photos, I would not think it would be too hard at all to
        make a similar track-slot for an Xtracycle’s wide loaders. Someone
        mentioned just attaching planks with cut out slots in them across the top
        of the wide loaders. I do not think that would even be necessary. You
        might be able to get away with just using two lengths of conduit or bars
        between the front and back tubing of the wide-loaders separated by a
        space, which would be the width of the tire you want to slip through.
        Along the bars you would drill in adjustment holes to screw in a front
        bumper for the appropriately diameter wheel(s) you intend to haul. The
        rear tubing of the wide-loader would function as the back bumper of the
        slot. The only major concern to this idea would be the possible need to
        include some kind of padding or soft bumper system so that the tire rim
        and/or spokes do not rub against the metal of the bars you use on either
        side of the slot.

        Ride safe,