Re: Towing bikes with xtracycle

  • David Dannenberg
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 28, 2012
      Add two slotted boards to a wideloader and wouldn't you have the same thing as the Yuba towing unit?

      David Dannenberg
    • A
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 29, 2012
        I was thinking the same thing - although it may need to be a polymer plank so as not to scratch wheel / fork and maybe a cut out for any disc brake haulage?

        How would you secure the planks - drill into the aluminium?
        Andy
      • David Dannenberg
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 30, 2012
          Drill through the wood on the inside of the wideloader bar and thread stainless steel hose clamps (or zip ties) through and around the wideloader bar. Or, on the bottom of the board use the little clamps used to mount pipe or conduit to a wall.

          David Dannenberg
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 31, 2012
            How does the Yuba Mundo avoid having a towed bike’s fork, stem,
            handlebar, etc. rub or bump against the long tail framing? From the
            photos it looks like there is some sort of narrow black plastic bumper
            screwed horizontally to the long tail framing, but I do not see how it
            alone prevents the towed bike from leaning away from the hauling bike. I
            would imagine tie-downs of some sort must be needed to restrain the bike
            against the long tail framing, which is why that plastic strip is
            necessary as protection between the two bikes.

            According to the photos, I would not think it would be too hard at all to
            make a similar track-slot for an Xtracycle’s wide loaders. Someone
            mentioned just attaching planks with cut out slots in them across the top
            of the wide loaders. I do not think that would even be necessary. You
            might be able to get away with just using two lengths of conduit or bars
            between the front and back tubing of the wide-loaders separated by a
            space, which would be the width of the tire you want to slip through.
            Along the bars you would drill in adjustment holes to screw in a front
            bumper for the appropriately diameter wheel(s) you intend to haul. The
            rear tubing of the wide-loader would function as the back bumper of the
            slot. The only major concern to this idea would be the possible need to
            include some kind of padding or soft bumper system so that the tire rim
            and/or spokes do not rub against the metal of the bars you use on either
            side of the slot.

            Ride safe,