Re: Towing bikes with xtracycle

  • anthonyeberger
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 26, 2012
      Good information David. Thanks, I'll keep an eye on it. Thankfully I'm a tad under 200lbs but it does have a rather heavy electric hub wheel and a bunch of heavy batteries in back.

      Oddly, I was just talking to someone looking to unload a pugsly fork and I was considering the swap. I think I'll get it just "in case". At least that's how I'll justify to the wife that I need to spend more money on bikes :)

      I'm waiting for the side car too. My goal is 3 sets of batteries so I can comfortably ride to the Midwest Renewable Energy Fair next spring with all my camping gear and such. It's about 150 miles and hilly.

      Keep riding

      Tony B.

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, dr2chase@... wrote:

      > On 2012-10-25, at 7:50 AM, anthonyeberger <anthonyeberger@...> wrote:
      > > Than again, I'm also the weirdo riding my Xtra with a front suspension fork which many think is a no no too :)
      >
      > Eventually, it is a no no. I wore mine out quite a lot after just a few years, which is what precipitated the Big D upgrade. Donor bike was reassembled and rebuilt to best of ability and sold for small $ to a much lighter person (with a warning about the fork -- it wasn't unusable, just getting old fast under my use) and sold the FreeRadical to someone on this list.
      >
      > The thing I am coming to appreciate more and more is that (modern) bicycles really are not much overbuilt, which is why you need to keep an eye on that fork; the longer wheelbase adds a lot to the load on the front wheel. And if you already weigh over 200lbs, and drive on our wonderful Northeastern roads....
      >
      > David

    • David Dannenberg
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 28, 2012
        Add two slotted boards to a wideloader and wouldn't you have the same thing as the Yuba towing unit?

        David Dannenberg
      • A
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 29, 2012
          I was thinking the same thing - although it may need to be a polymer plank so as not to scratch wheel / fork and maybe a cut out for any disc brake haulage?

          How would you secure the planks - drill into the aluminium?
          Andy
        • David Dannenberg
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 30, 2012
            Drill through the wood on the inside of the wideloader bar and thread stainless steel hose clamps (or zip ties) through and around the wideloader bar. Or, on the bottom of the board use the little clamps used to mount pipe or conduit to a wall.

            David Dannenberg
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 31, 2012
              How does the Yuba Mundo avoid having a towed bike’s fork, stem,
              handlebar, etc. rub or bump against the long tail framing? From the
              photos it looks like there is some sort of narrow black plastic bumper
              screwed horizontally to the long tail framing, but I do not see how it
              alone prevents the towed bike from leaning away from the hauling bike. I
              would imagine tie-downs of some sort must be needed to restrain the bike
              against the long tail framing, which is why that plastic strip is
              necessary as protection between the two bikes.

              According to the photos, I would not think it would be too hard at all to
              make a similar track-slot for an Xtracycle’s wide loaders. Someone
              mentioned just attaching planks with cut out slots in them across the top
              of the wide loaders. I do not think that would even be necessary. You
              might be able to get away with just using two lengths of conduit or bars
              between the front and back tubing of the wide-loaders separated by a
              space, which would be the width of the tire you want to slip through.
              Along the bars you would drill in adjustment holes to screw in a front
              bumper for the appropriately diameter wheel(s) you intend to haul. The
              rear tubing of the wide-loader would function as the back bumper of the
              slot. The only major concern to this idea would be the possible need to
              include some kind of padding or soft bumper system so that the tire rim
              and/or spokes do not rub against the metal of the bars you use on either
              side of the slot.

              Ride safe,