Re: [rootsradicals] Re: Big Dummy BB recommendation?

  • TeamJT
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 23, 2012
      I use square taper cranks, but if I was in your shoes I'd go with a King bb. They are more serviceable than others making it a good long term investment.

      ------------------------------
      On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 6:58 PM MDT Steve Fuller wrote:

      >Were you wanting a new BB, a new crank, or both? Your title implies BB, but your message contents imply the crank itself. Any outboard bearing BB should work. Shimano, Phil Wood, Chris King and Tuvativ would all be good choices.
      >
      >Steve
    • Sean
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 23, 2012
        It really depends on how much you want to spend. It is hard to beat the standard outboard bearing Shimano set up. Not only is it fairly bullet proof for a decent amount of miles, but you can pick up replacement bearings online dirt cheap. If you want to go Cadillac, there is no better in my opinion than the Chris King. I have one on my mountain bike with many miles of quiet trouble free service.

        Pick your poison they both have their merits.

        Sean

        Sent from my iPad

        On Oct 23, 2012, at 6:07 PM, TeamJT <jtrops@...> wrote:

        I use square taper cranks, but if I was in your shoes I'd go with a King bb. They are more serviceable than others making it a good long term investment.

        ------------------------------
        On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 6:58 PM MDT Steve Fuller wrote:

        >Were you wanting a new BB, a new crank, or both? Your title implies BB, but your message contents imply the crank itself. Any outboard bearing BB should work. Shimano, Phil Wood, Chris King and Tuvativ would all be good choices.
        >
        >Steve

      • David Dannenberg
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 24, 2012
          Thanks all for the advice. I am likely to lean toward the Chris King in that I would rather spend once and have little to deal with later and good serviceability. Will talk with some local folks as well.

          As to idlers, have thought about them, in conjunction with an eccentric BB so I can eliminate my tensioner and still use the Kickback. On reflection though, I am not sure that the idlers would be less cumbersome and attract much less dirt than the tensioner and I wonder how much I'd scrape my leg against the higher change and get filthy.

          Further thoughts appreciated.

          David Dannenberg
        • Andrew Kreps
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 24, 2012
            On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 4:09 AM, David Dannenberg <ddannenberg@...> wrote:
            > Thanks all for the advice. I am likely to lean toward the Chris King in that I would rather spend once and have little to deal with later and good serviceability. Will talk with some local folks as well.

            I've run a RaceFace crank/integrated BB for about 5k miles on my
            dummy. It takes a beating and keeps on spinning. I'm pretty sure it
            was the Turbine when I bought it. Which, it looks like it's still
            called: http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=40010&category=379
          • David Dannenberg
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 25, 2012
              Thanks. Is there a single chain ring version? I have an IGH.