Re: [rootsradicals] Re: Newbie 1st post: Think the EdgeRunner will be a game changer for

  • Sean
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 18, 2012
      If you do not find one, it may be the opportunity to learn how to lace a wheel. I just learned how a few months ago. I have been wrenching on bikes for many years. Now that I know how,  I wished I had learned sooner. I have been a wheel building fool lately. If you can follow basic directions you can build a wheel, it is truly not that hard. I use the Sheldon Brown method online. Just google "wheel building Sheldon Brown". He has a step by step instruction page for just about every popular lacing pattern. Spokes are generally less than $1 each if you buy a full set. You can build exactly what you want that way. You might also try your local bike co-op for assistance lacing a wheel. The bike oven in LA does wheel building classes periodically for free. Most bike co-op's have a large selection of good used wheel parts as well very cheap.

      Sean

      Sent from my iPad

      On Oct 18, 2012, at 7:39 AM, Jon Schroeder <JonSchroeder@...> wrote:

      Quick question:  Does anyone sell a geared hub motor laced to a 29er front wheel?  Thanks, I have a Karate Monkey front fork on my Xtra rig.

    • Thaddeus Block
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 19, 2012
        Hi there,

        The smaller the wheel diameter, the stronger the wheel.
        29ers and 700cc are not ideal sizes for powering at the hub.  It may be possible, but not likely to be a durable wheel.  If you do build one or have it built, it will need to be build with the most possible spokes of greatest strength etc.....

        Thad

      • dr2chase@mac.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 19, 2012
          On 2012-10-19, at 1:00 PM, Thaddeus Block <tblock@...> wrote:
          > The smaller the wheel diameter, the stronger the wheel.

          On the other hand, tire strength is greater for larger diameters.
          20x2 Big Apple is rated for 85kg, 28x2 Big Apple is rated for 135kg.