Time for winter lights

  • Sean
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 17, 2012
    So as the days get shorter we all need to step up our lighting program. I just updated my headlights and figured I would share. The rack is a velo orange unit. It has been massaged heavily (not for the faint at heart to cut and bend up a $80 rack). Basically I cut the rear mounting stud off flush and bent the side arms accordingly to clear my fender. The beauty of the velo orange vo randonneur rack is it has a fender mount underneath. So after it was all bent, set and re-aligned, I drilled a hole from below and bolted it up. The install is clean and VERY sturdy. As for the lights they are Sunlite LED units. I bought them as a close out from REI but they no longer have them, I checked today. They are available on Amazon for $11. Just google Sunlite LED bike light. These lights put out a pretty impressive amount of light for cheapie units. I figure once the batteries die I will find a way to wire them to my new dyno-hub.

    Please share your winter light set ups. I will be working on my rear LED light strips in the next couple of weeks (I hope).

    Also, I have more pictures of it from different angles if any of you are interested.

    For those that are curious the fenders are planet bike units.

    Sean

  • katsujinkenliu
    Message 2 of 4 , Oct 17, 2012
      Wow, that is a really nice set up Sean. Thanks for sharing!

      -Kev

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Sean <gear.head@...> wrote:

      > So as the days get shorter we all need to step up our lighting program. I just updated my headlights and figured I would share. The rack is a velo orange unit. It has been massaged heavily (not for the faint at heart to cut and bend up a $80 rack). Basically I cut the rear mounting stud off flush and bent the side arms accordingly to clear my fender. The beauty of the velo orange vo randonneur rack is it has a fender mount underneath. So after it was all bent, set and re-aligned, I drilled a hole from below and bolted it up. The install is clean and VERY sturdy. As for the lights they are Sunlite LED units. I bought them as a close out from REI but they no longer have them, I checked today. They are available on Amazon for $11. Just google Sunlite LED bike light. These lights put out a pretty impressive amount of light for cheapie units. I figure once the batteries die I will find a way to wire them to my new dyno-hub.
      >
      > Please share your winter light set ups. I will be working on my rear LED light strips in the next couple of weeks (I hope).
      >
      > Also, I have more pictures of it from different angles if any of you are interested.
      >
      > For those that are curious the fenders are planet bike units.
      >
      > Sean

    • Nikki Rosenberg
      Message 3 of 4 , Oct 18, 2012
        What is that front rack you have?

        --
        Nikki Rosenberg
        (415) 948-3755
        Message 4 of 4 , Oct 19, 2012
          The rack is from Velo Orange, it is their house brand and the one shown in my pictures is the VO Pass hunter rack for $80, they also now sell one called the VO Randonneur for $80 which would require much less work to install. Let me know if you need any help.

          Sent from my iPad