Rear Derailleur Cable Length?

  • travelerbrew
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 2, 2012
      Hi everyone,

      I'm putting together an Xtracycle on a 90's Cannondale M300 hardtail. I'm trying to find a long enough rear derailleur cable and wondered if you might have some advice.

      I just tried installing a 2200mm rear derailleur cable for a tandem bike, but it looks like I'm coming up short by about 3 or 4 inches. One point to note is that the bike uses gripshifters at the moment.

      Thanks for your help.

      Tommy
    • Devian P Gilbert

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 3, 2012
          Thanks! I ordered a longer cable, so I should be all set.

          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Devian P Gilbert <asanacycles@...> wrote:

          > http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=25402&category=3977
          >
          > try 2700- 4400mm
          >

          > On Sep 2, 2012, at 9:31 AM, travelerbrew wrote:
          >
          > > Hi everyone,
          > >
          > > I'm putting together an Xtracycle on a 90's Cannondale M300 hardtail. I'm trying to find a long enough rear derailleur cable and wondered if you might have some advice.
          > >
          > > I just tried installing a 2200mm rear derailleur cable for a tandem bike, but it looks like I'm coming up short by about 3 or 4 inches. One point to note is that the bike uses gripshifters at the moment.
          > >
          > > Thanks for your help.
          > >
          > > Tommy

        • JB
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 3, 2012
            Hello Tommy,

            I used a SRAM 2200 mm on my 2000 Gary Fisher with SRAM grip shift. The supplied cable was not long enough. SRAM also distributes a 3100 mm. Did you measure the tandem cable, the first one I bought was not actually 2200 mm. The cable should be over 7 feet long.

            JB