Re: [rootsradicals] hauling the bike on road trips

  • Ben Rosenthal
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 10 2:51 PM
      I've always gone with a trunk rack with the front wheel removed. I put the two prongs of the rack under the top bar and through the front corner of the V-racks, and it's always been stable. I've generally avoided roof racks because they're usually not long enough.

      On 10 Aug 2012, at 12:40, maestra_mela <maestra_mela@...> wrote:

      > Hi all,
      >
      > I recently added a Free Radical to my Specialized Globe and love it for local hauling of toddler, groceries etc. I am trying to figure out how to haul the bicycle on road trips? I have a Subaru Impreza...any rack suggestions? Do I need a truck to haul my bike-truck?
      >
      > Thanks!
      > Melanie

    • Andrew Kreps
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 10 4:52 PM
        I have the 3-year old version of one of these. It's bombproof, in my
        experience and a lot less expensive than the alternatives.

        http://www.rockymounts.com/bike_racks_tandem_recumbent_s/167.htm

        On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 12:40 PM, maestra_mela <maestra_mela@...> wrote:
        > Hi all,
        >
        > I recently added a Free Radical to my Specialized Globe and love it for local hauling of toddler, groceries etc. I am trying to figure out how to haul the bicycle on road trips? I have a Subaru Impreza...any rack suggestions? Do I need a truck to haul my bike-truck?
        >
        > Thanks!
        > Melanie

      • Julian Anthony
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 10 6:02 PM
        • 1 Attachment
        • 1 MB
        I use a Yakima SwingDaddy.  Pricey at around $400 but it is quite solid and overbuilt, might even weigh more than my Fishercycle actually.  I originally bought it to carry an old Rollfast tandem with a mixte frame which mounts in a similar way at a downward angle, as shown in the photo.

      • beatnik_glory
        Message 4 of 10 , Aug 11 7:04 AM
          I second the RockyMounts. I have used the RockyMounts Tandem mount on my Yakima rack. Works perfect for an xtracycle and is disk brake compatible. Great value, excellent product, small business in Colorado USA.

          Beatnik

          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Kreps <andrew.kreps@...> wrote:

          > I have the 3-year old version of one of these. It's bombproof, in my
          > experience and a lot less expensive than the alternatives.
          > http://www.rockymounts.com/bike_racks_tandem_recumbent_s/167.htm

        • Rich W
          Message 5 of 10 , Aug 11 9:50 AM
            Beatnik;

            No need to repeat posting a message if it does not appear immediately. As a new member your first posts are moderated and will not appear until approved by a moderator. Also occasionally Yahoo has problems, usually caused by web attackers, that can cause delays in posts appearing. The worst case of this type delay I have seen was as long as 4 days!

            Rich Wood

            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "beatnik_glory" <beatnik_glory@...> wrote:

            > I second the RockyMounts. I have used the RockyMounts Tandem mount on my Yakima rack. Works perfect for an xtracycle and is disk brake compatible. Great value, excellent product, small business in Colorado USA.
            >
            > Beatnik
            >

            > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Kreps <andrew.kreps@> wrote:
            >
            > > I have the 3-year old version of one of these. It's bombproof, in my
            > > experience and a lot less expensive than the alternatives.
            > > http://www.rockymounts.com/bike_racks_tandem_recumbent_s/167.htm

          • Kate and Rob Hanson
            Message 6 of 10 , Aug 12 10:12 AM
              I've used a inexpensive Thule rack hack for several years with success. I have two Thule trays, and I added a 16" section extension of 3" PVC pipe ripped in half, secured with two seat post binder bolts drilled through the Thule tray. I relocated the wheel strap to the extension section. The whole thing is easily removed when not needed (or in frustration after banging your head on the hatch back that doesn't open quite as far with the longer rack in place).

              Love to ride,

              \rob
            • Cara Lin Bridgman
              Message 7 of 10 , Aug 14 7:53 PM
                Soooooo ... how well would a free radical fit onto one of these?
                <http://www.good.is/post/cycle-on-the-recycled-a-9-cardboard-bike-set-to-enter-production-in-israel>

                CL