Re: [rootsradicals] hauling the bike on road trips

  • David Forbes
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 10, 2012
      On 8/10/12 12:40 PM, maestra_mela wrote:
      > Hi all,
      >
      > I recently added a Free Radical to my Specialized Globe and love it for local hauling of toddler, groceries etc. I am trying to figure out how to haul the bicycle on road trips? I have a Subaru Impreza...any rack suggestions? Do I need a truck to haul my bike-truck?
      >
      > Thanks!
      > Melanie

      It's a bit too wide to fit across the rear end, so a trunk rack won't
      work. You could fake it by removing the front wheel and rotating the
      fork around, but you'd have to be careful of sideswiping things with it.

      A roof rack will work, but it's going to take a couple people to get it
      on the roof.

      I'm still thinking about how to get mine to Burning Man. I'm probably
      going to throw it on top of the camper trailer.

      --
      David Forbes, Tucson AZ
    • thom chiaramonte

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 10, 2012
          I've always gone with a trunk rack with the front wheel removed. I put the two prongs of the rack under the top bar and through the front corner of the V-racks, and it's always been stable. I've generally avoided roof racks because they're usually not long enough.

          On 10 Aug 2012, at 12:40, maestra_mela <maestra_mela@...> wrote:

          > Hi all,
          >
          > I recently added a Free Radical to my Specialized Globe and love it for local hauling of toddler, groceries etc. I am trying to figure out how to haul the bicycle on road trips? I have a Subaru Impreza...any rack suggestions? Do I need a truck to haul my bike-truck?
          >
          > Thanks!
          > Melanie

        • Andrew Kreps
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 10, 2012
            I have the 3-year old version of one of these. It's bombproof, in my
            experience and a lot less expensive than the alternatives.

            http://www.rockymounts.com/bike_racks_tandem_recumbent_s/167.htm

            On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 12:40 PM, maestra_mela <maestra_mela@...> wrote:
            > Hi all,
            >
            > I recently added a Free Radical to my Specialized Globe and love it for local hauling of toddler, groceries etc. I am trying to figure out how to haul the bicycle on road trips? I have a Subaru Impreza...any rack suggestions? Do I need a truck to haul my bike-truck?
            >
            > Thanks!
            > Melanie

          • Julian Anthony
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 10, 2012
            • 1 Attachment
            • 1 MB
            I use a Yakima SwingDaddy.  Pricey at around $400 but it is quite solid and overbuilt, might even weigh more than my Fishercycle actually.  I originally bought it to carry an old Rollfast tandem with a mixte frame which mounts in a similar way at a downward angle, as shown in the photo.

          • beatnik_glory
            Message 6 of 10 , Aug 11, 2012
              I second the RockyMounts. I have used the RockyMounts Tandem mount on my Yakima rack. Works perfect for an xtracycle and is disk brake compatible. Great value, excellent product, small business in Colorado USA.

              Beatnik

              --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Kreps <andrew.kreps@...> wrote:

              > I have the 3-year old version of one of these. It's bombproof, in my
              > experience and a lot less expensive than the alternatives.
              > http://www.rockymounts.com/bike_racks_tandem_recumbent_s/167.htm

            • Rich W
              Message 7 of 10 , Aug 11, 2012
                Beatnik;

                No need to repeat posting a message if it does not appear immediately. As a new member your first posts are moderated and will not appear until approved by a moderator. Also occasionally Yahoo has problems, usually caused by web attackers, that can cause delays in posts appearing. The worst case of this type delay I have seen was as long as 4 days!

                Rich Wood

                --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "beatnik_glory" <beatnik_glory@...> wrote:

                > I second the RockyMounts. I have used the RockyMounts Tandem mount on my Yakima rack. Works perfect for an xtracycle and is disk brake compatible. Great value, excellent product, small business in Colorado USA.
                >
                > Beatnik
                >

                > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Kreps <andrew.kreps@> wrote:
                >
                > > I have the 3-year old version of one of these. It's bombproof, in my
                > > experience and a lot less expensive than the alternatives.
                > > http://www.rockymounts.com/bike_racks_tandem_recumbent_s/167.htm

              • Kate and Rob Hanson
                Message 8 of 10 , Aug 12, 2012
                  I've used a inexpensive Thule rack hack for several years with success. I have two Thule trays, and I added a 16" section extension of 3" PVC pipe ripped in half, secured with two seat post binder bolts drilled through the Thule tray. I relocated the wheel strap to the extension section. The whole thing is easily removed when not needed (or in frustration after banging your head on the hatch back that doesn't open quite as far with the longer rack in place).

                  Love to ride,

                  \rob
                • Cara Lin Bridgman
                  Message 9 of 10 , Aug 14, 2012
                    Soooooo ... how well would a free radical fit onto one of these?
                    <http://www.good.is/post/cycle-on-the-recycled-a-9-cardboard-bike-set-to-enter-production-in-israel>

                    CL