Fender Options

  • jedwin2012
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 30, 2012
      Putting the final touches on my Trek/Xtracycle build and went with the Schwalbe Big Apple 26x2.35 tires. Now I'm hoping to get fenders that will fit and the largest seem to be the SKS P65 Black Fenders 26"/65mm which claim to fit between 1.75/2.25. Has anyone tried these on the 2.35 big apples? How about Planet Bike Cascadia 26'' ATB Fenders 60mm? I'm new to the world of fenders and not sure how much play and wiggle room I have.

      Any comments or suggestions (maybe just run fender free) would be greatly appreciated.

      jed
    • Brian Livelsberger
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 30, 2012
        I don't know which others may or may not fit, but I have Plant bike SpeedEZ and they fit just fine.

        To get them to mount on the FreeRad I flipped the rear supports (the rod from the bottom hole is now in the top hole, the rod from the top hole is now in the bottom hole). I had no trouble hooking it up, and I have plenty of clearance with Serfas Drifters (26 x 2.00). I think you'd be just fine.

        Regards,
        Brian.

      • gear.head@verizon.net
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 30, 2012
          I have run the planet bike ones on my freerad and now on my big dummy and they work great. I too did some mods to tweak the mounting to my preferences.
          Sean

          From: Brian Livelsberger <livelsbe@...>
          Sender: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 15:48:03 -0400
          To: <rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com>
          ReplyTo: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: Re: [rootsradicals] Fender Options

[...]

        • David Backeberg
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 30, 2012
            I'm running the pretty metal fenders from Velo Orange, sadly listed as
            out-of-stock right now:

            http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/accessories/fenders/fender-sets/vo-fenders-stainless-60mm-26-atb.html

            I'm running the stock 2011 Big Dummy 26x2.1 Continentals, and I
            happily paid my LBS to get it all set up properly. I'll have to put up
            some pictures.
          • Steve Fuller
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 30, 2012

              I used the Planet Bike Cascadia 29er fenders on my Hookworm shod Big Dummy.

            • rltilley@gmail.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 30, 2012
                I am using these fenders as well on my Dummy. I did need to trim the rear fender with a dremel in order to clear the chain while in the granny gear but they otherwise work great.

                Robert Tilley
                Fendered in San Diego

                From: Steve Fuller <sfuller@...>
                Sender: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 15:19:21 -0500
                To: <rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com>
                ReplyTo: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
                Subject: Re: [rootsradicals] Re: Fender Options

                I used the Planet Bike Cascadia 29er fenders on my Hookworm shod Big Dummy.

                On Jul 30, 2012 3:02 PM, "David Backeberg" <dbackeberg@...> wrote:

                I'm running the pretty metal fenders from Velo Orange, sadly listed as
                out-of-stock right now:

                http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/accessories/fenders/fender-sets/vo-fenders-stainless-60mm-26-atb.html

                I'm running the stock 2011 Big Dummy 26x2.1 Continentals, and I
                happily paid my LBS to get it all set up properly. I'll have to put up
                some pictures.

              • David Dannenberg
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 31, 2012
                  Same here--29ers on BD with biggest Hookworms. I have an old bookmarked a fender fitment odyssey somewhere. Lemme see…here it is from Vik, who is still on this list I believe. http://viksbigdummy.blogspot.com/2008/04/intalling-planet-bike-cascadia-atb.html Hope the link is still good.

                  David
                • David Dannenberg
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 31, 2012
                    Same here--29ers on BD with biggest Hookworms. I have an old bookmarked a fender fitment odyssey somewhere. Lemme see…here it is from Vik, who is still on this list I believe. http://viksbigdummy.blogspot.com/2008/04/intalling-planet-bike-cascadia-atb.html Hope the link is still good.

                    David
                  • rkt88edmo
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 31, 2012
                      I use the SKS P65s that I picked up from Rivendell with 2.35" big apples, they fit fine. The area with the least clearance is at the top between the tire and snapdeck but it still clears.

                      On the disc side in front I mounted on the mid fork braze on and bent & trimmed the stays.  Also bent and trimmed the stays in the rear.
                    • Liz W Durham
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 31, 2012

                        I have had the Planet Bike fenders on my bike for over 3 years. Haven't had a problem. They work great and were not so difficult to install.

                        On Jul 30, 2012 2:16 PM, "jedwin2012" <jedwin2012@...> wrote:

                        Putting the final touches on my Trek/Xtracycle build and went with the Schwalbe Big Apple 26x2.35 tires. Now I'm hoping to get fenders that will fit and the largest seem to be the SKS P65 Black Fenders 26"/65mm which claim to fit between 1.75/2.25. Has anyone tried these on the 2.35 big apples? How about Planet Bike Cascadia 26'' ATB Fenders 60mm? I'm new to the world of fenders and not sure how much play and wiggle room I have.

                        Any comments or suggestions (maybe just run fender free) would be greatly appreciated.

                        jed

                      • beth h
                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 6, 2012
                          Second the PB fenders. I have a set of yellow Freddys that were originally on a regular bike about eight years ago. Transferred to an Xtracycle build and then swapped over the my Surly BD three years ago. Still work great, no problems, very durable.
                          Beth

                        • dr2chase@mac.com
                          Message 12 of 12 , Sep 24, 2012
                            Stuff's been happening while I wasn't paying attention.
                            The Burrows 8Freight is back in production, and there's a move to promote cargo bikes for small-to-medium goods delivery (the usual case) around Europe.
                            I saw this and thought of Tone.

                            http://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2012/09/jobs-of-the-future-cargo-cyclist.html