Re: [rootsradicals] 2009 Surly Big Dummy 16 î bicycle with stokemonkey for sale (Oakl

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 25, 2012
      On 2012-07-25, at 9:38 AM, David Dannenberg wrote:
      > Question though. Why did you run the chain line up high rather than conventionally? How are you finding that? Does it hit your leg, is it noisy, is there a lot of friction?

      Different person, tried the same idler.

      It lets you do away with the tensioner, it didn't hit my leg, it DID interfere with the chain case, and it was a little noisy. Didn't notice much friction, which makes sense if you consider the chain routing in a tensioner.

      I'm trying to remember if the tensioner did a better job of keeping the chain fed to the rear sprocket.

      I believe I still have all the parts for my idler, if you are interested in trying one at some sort of a discount.