RE: [rootsradicals] Re: Yakima Blockhead on a Free Radical

    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 17, 2012
      As someone pointed out a fork mount, like that on a car’s roof rack or
      truck’s bed rack, does not allow for vertical rotation. Even on no-hill
      roads if you hit a pot hole or speed bump then the trailed bike would not
      be able to roll freely over the non-level surface.
      I had a front fork mounted on my Xtracycle’s rear step, and I only used
      it occasionally to tow my girlfriend’s bike to the local bike shop to get
      my long-tail bike serviced. That way I could ride back home on her bike
      and do the reverse when I needed to pick up my bike after repairs were
      made. Luckily for me at the time the streets between my place and the
      bike shop were relatively smooth. I still noticed handling problems, and
      eventually I decided to remove the fork mount though because I was
      worried about wearing down the fork ends where the quick release skewer
      clamps onto. My decision was also sparked by a fellow Xtracyclist’s
      elegant solution of simply mounting a slightly modified front quick
      release hub using hose-clamps and the like to the rear step instead of a
      non-pivoting fork mount. Obviously the hub itself allowed the mounted
      bike to rotate so it could freely overcome un-level or bumpy road/surface
      conditions. At the time of hearing of that towing solution I did not have
      a spare front hub in my stock of parts, so I never got around to setting
      up a towing rig again.

      Someone also provided the suggestion of using such a set up to trail not
      only a bicycle, but also potentially a person riding on the towed bike,
      like a tag-along or whatever they are called. This is NOT a good idea. I
      distinctly recall a specification for the rear of the Xtracycle, which is
      limited to a maximum of 60 pounds. Therefore, a towed bike should be fine
      by itself, but combined with even a small child the weight limit on the
      rear step would be surpassed. I never towed anyone like that with my set
      up, but I definitely know first hand about the Xtracycle’s rear weight
      limitations. I went through two or three before I got my Big Dummy, and
      every Xtracycle I had developed a crack or complete break right behind
      the rear axle where the FreeRadical frame is weakest. Luckily for me no
      injuries or other damage was caused, but I would hate to think of someone
      going up a hill with their little one tagging along when there is a
      structural failure caused by too much rear weight. Just make you child
      ride with you until they get tired, then tow their bike while they sit on
      the snap deck.
      There was someone or a couple of folks, who came up with a tag-along
      adaptation. I recall them building something mounted through the snap
      deck, which used some kind of extension clamp to grab the head tube of
      the trailing bike or something like that. Of course you could also attach
      a front quick release hub to the deck instead of to the rear step as
      another way of towing a bike without a more complex clamp extension, but
      the angle of the trailed bike would force whoever is on it to ride like
      they are doing a constant wheelie.

      Ride safe,
      _TONE_
    • A
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 18, 2012
        Hi
        I posted my experience on towing bikes (and some links to pictures) and there is some feedback on http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rootsradicals/message/13831

        I think clamping a hub on there as some others have done would allow for yaw of tow bike. I don't think I would attempt a passenger on any set up as it would put too much strain on either a big dummy or X.

        If you want to transport a kids bike so you can ride home together - you can slot the front wheel into the free radical bags and it will tow ok ( i have tried this with an adult bike and it works if you really strap it tight).

        all the best
        andy