Re: Digest Number 2027

  • Rich W
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 10, 2012
      Sorry the below message was delayed posting. Yahoo sent all 3 copies to the spam folder and items sent to spam do not have notification sent to moderators so are ignored until a moderator actually visits the group home page.

      Rich Wood

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "seppludwig" <seppludwig@...> wrote:

      > I wouldn't be too concerned about weight. I have a Yuba Mundo and weight is only a consideration when getting the bike started - especially if one is on a hill.
      >
      > Once started, the Yuba performs better going up a hill than my hybrid or folding bicycle - I've tested it on three hills which I know well and the results were surprising. The BD and and the XC could likewise produce surprising results- it depends on the comfort of the frame setup and the gearing.
      >
      > We've inherited the obsession for weight from road racing where weight makes you slower - a factor which is not at all important with utility biking or touring. Important is just arriving and arriving comfortably.
      >
      > How the bike feels on the road, how you transfer your power comfortably to the road seem more decisive than weight for utility and touring cycling.
      >
      > That's just my very subjective opinion - but subjectivity wins out as long as one is not racing.
      >

      > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew" <hemingandrew@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Not quite the figures you're looking for, but there's a weight breakdown comparison between XC and rack+panniers on the Vik's Big Dummy site here;
      > > http://viksbigdummy.blogspot.co.uk/2008/04/xtracycle-vs-panniers-weight-comparison.html
      > > It suggests BD is a couple of pounds heavier than XC conversion which is not a bad trade off for the extra strength and durability.

    • Cara Lin Bridgman
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 24, 2012
        Exactly! I had one carbon-fiber roadie try to do the 1-finger-lift
        trick on my xtracycle. There was absolutely no way that was going to
        work even if it wasn't loaded with stokemonkey, battery, book bag, etc.

        Xtracycles are trucks, not sports cars.

        CL
        > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "seppludwig" <seppludwig@...> wrote:
        >
        >> We've inherited the obsession for weight from road racing where weight makes you slower - a factor which is not at all important with utility biking or touring.
      • thom chiaramonte
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 24, 2012
          that joker should be ashamed of themselves for such an irrational and non contextual effort!