Re: Has anyone put a BionX motor on a free radical?

  • mellonmonello
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 19, 2012
      Thanks for all of the great suggestions, links, and advise! This is a great place to post:)

      I took my free radical set up to my LBS and they recommended against electrifying it. It is aluminum, so maybe a LHT or other steel frame would be better. My LBS mentioned that an aluminum fork would get ripped off with a front hub motor. With my cargo being kids, I realized that I should really consider the best method. I wound up finding a Big Dummy on Craigslist for $1000! I test drove the electric (ezee kit) Yuba Mundo. It was nice, but i did not like the throttle style motor. I felt like it either rode like a moped, or I pedaled really hard (harder than I ever do with my free radical). The shifting and handling was less smooth than my xtracycle. It is a good choice for some, but I was aiming more for a true "pedal assist" to get me up hills with my cargo. I think the bionx style is more what I am looking for. Does anyone know if there are any other similar kits out there? I may wait to hear what Xtracycle comes out with... I definitely feel a huge difference in the big dummy versus my free radical. Much more solid and smooth.