Base bike differences

  • Andrew
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 19, 2012
      I've hitched up my Xtracycle to a steel MTB (On-one Inbred) and I'm very pleased with the result. I really like how it feels but it is a bit noodly once the weight is piled on. I'm not expecting to get Yuba type stability with heavier loads and accept there's a trade off to be made between unloaded and loaded feel but I wonder how much difference the base bike makes. For example would using something like a Thorn Sherpa or 26" wheeled LHT as a base bike be likely to be any better once the load weight is increased?
    • Thom Chiaramonte
      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 19, 2012
        I'm definitely curious about frame stiffness affecting handling as well. I'm using an aluminum 29er but I still have flex, largely at the FAP connection. That's to be expected. But it would be interesting to feel the different morphologies.

        On Jun 19, 2012, at 19:14, Andrew <hemingandrew@...> wrote:

        I've hitched up my Xtracycle to a steel MTB (On-one Inbred) and I'm very pleased with the result. I really like how it feels but it is a bit noodly once the weight is piled on. I'm not expecting to get Yuba type stability with heavier loads and accept there's a trade off to be made between unloaded and loaded feel but I wonder how much difference the base bike makes. For example would using something like a Thorn Sherpa or 26" wheeled LHT as a base bike be likely to be any better once the load weight is increased?

      • Gus
        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 20, 2012
          I use a Trek 4500. It too is "noodley". I think that is the nature of the beast.

          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew" <hemingandrew@...> wrote:

          > I've hitched up my Xtracycle to a steel MTB (On-one Inbred) and I'm very pleased with the result. I really like how it feels but it is a bit noodly once the weight is piled on. I'm not expecting to get Yuba type stability with heavier loads and accept there's a trade off to be made between unloaded and loaded feel but I wonder how much difference the base bike makes. For example would using something like a Thorn Sherpa or 26" wheeled LHT as a base bike be likely to be any better once the load weight is increased?

        • Douglas Botma
          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 20, 2012
            My Xtracycle built on an aluminum 23" Schwinn Mesa is OK up to 100 lb. on back, then also very "noodley"
          • Julian Anthony
            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 20, 2012
              mid-90s Gary Fisher mountain bike feels fine with no load, 50# bag of dog food at average speed feels noodley.  125# passenger doesn't feel as noodley probably as I'm not going as fast.

              I test rode a 2008 Big Dummy this weekend and while I am tempted to upgrade as it is rock solid, it doesn't quite have the charm of a retrofitted Xtracycle.  JMO
            • gear.head@verizon.net
              Message 6 of 22 , Jun 20, 2012
              I have/had both: a 80's Diamondback with conversion and now my Dummy. There is no doubt the purpose made frame is stiffer. However it is worth noting that how you load makes a HUge difference. On either set up, keeping the weight low and as tight to the center of the bike will result in the best handling. The further up you go and further out you go amplifies the torque arm effect on the mounting interface of the xtra. I would say you get somewhat used to the flex and frame selection I feel would have a negligible impact on the "noodle" effect.

              See attached picture of a heavy load, low and tight. (Maximum noodle at this weight).

              Sean

              From: Julian Anthony <julian3anthony@...>
              Sender: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
              Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 12:25:33 -0400
              To: <rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com>
              ReplyTo: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
              Subject: [rootsradicals] Re: Base bike differences

              Message 7 of 22 , Jun 20, 2012
                With my mesa,I only experience max of 100 lb. when hauling dog food in 2- 50 lb bags which is
                naturally loaded 1 on each side down on wide loaders. When mine gets noodeley, it can get
                dicey if you need to swerve to miss anything from a piece of glass to a pothole .
              • Troy
                Message 8 of 22 , Jun 21, 2012
                  I have 2 longtail bikes. One is a Trek Ladies' cruiser with a free radical, the other is a Raleigh men's cruiser with a home made extension. If anything the home made extension ought to be more flexy than the free radical. The trek/xtra is very flexy though; way more so than the men's bike. It's a bit ridiculous really. I think this is mostly due to the poor torsional rigidity of the low swooping top tube of the step-through ladies' frame. I suspect that adding a straight top tube would make an immense difference. I'm confident that attaching her free radical to a men's mt bike frame would result in a far stiffer and better handling ride. So in that regard, frame choice can make a big difference.

                  As far as the difference between different conventional diamond frame mountain bikes, i think the difference from one to the next would likely be very small, if noticeable at all. A bike with large oversized aluminum tubes may be a bit more rigid than a bike with steel in the classic dimensions, but I doubt it would equate to a huge difference in feel. I think the frame shape is the main thing. Any kind of a ladies' frame or even mixtes are likely to be much flexier than a conventional diamond frame.

                  Then of course, the purpose built bikes like the big dummy, mundo, etc are going to be much stiffer than anything with an xtracycle added on to it. That's why i was surprised that Xtras own offering, the radish, was not a single complete unit but instead still uses a normal free radical.

                  I rode a yuba and was very impressed with the rigidity with my wife on the back. An enormous difference between that and the free rad or my home-brew extension. I think if you regularly haul heavy loads, there is absolutely no comparison between a free-rad and the one-piece frames.

                  Message 9 of 22 , Jun 22, 2012
                    Troy,
                    Regarding donor bicycles for Xtracycle attachment, I think I can confirm
                    your suspicion about a large oversized aluminum tube being a bit more
                    rigid than a bike with steel in the classic dimensions. I currently have
                    a steel Big Dummy (single-framed long tail, I think the first or second
                    year the Big Dummy was on the market), but before that I had an Xtracycle
                    mated to a phatt tubed aluminum Univega FS750. Here’s a photo link to my
                    old set up, but I recommend no on attempt hauling this load anywhere:
                    http://www.cranksgiving.net/XtraLoads/LunarLoad-Angle.jpg

                    Some people on this list might remember me because I use to post quite a
                    bit when I still worked as a cargo-bike messenger in NYC before 2007.
                    Anyway, after getting the Big Dummy I actually felt a slightly
                    disappointed by the flex I was experiencing. I had the impression my
                    Univega felt a lot more rigid. Of course as someone pointed out, securing
                    the load in the right way makes a huge difference. The more your cargo is
                    able to shift position, even in the slightest, the more sway or flex you
                    will feel. It can get really bad at faster speeds or during abrupt
                    maneuvering.
                    I will admit that when I got my Big Dummy I had moved out of New York and
                    stopped working as a messenger for about a year, so my leg strength
                    probably was not what it used to be. I still commuted by bike 10 miles to
                    work every day though and used my bike the rest of the time as my primary
                    mode of transportation for errands, etc. Still I did get the sense the
                    Big Dummy had more flex. As I said that was a let down to me because I
                    thought I was “upgrading.” It especially bummed me out because my
                    Univega-Xtracycle combo was noticeably lighter in weight and I only
                    worried about rust infiltrating the relatively inexpensive frame of the
                    Xtracycle. With the Big Dummy now it is both heavier and I am paranoid
                    about rust condemning the entire pricey frame.
                    Something else of note is my choice of wheels. As you can see in the
                    linked photo, I ride with Aerospoke 5-spoke carbon fiber wheels. I have
                    had these babies for over ten years, on my old Xtracycles and my Big
                    Dummy. They have been in several crashes too. I imagine not having any of
                    the give or eventual tension strain/stretch of metal spokes might also
                    lend itself to a more rigid feel. I can tell you it is way less stressful
                    not having to worry about spokes getting out of true or even losing them.
                    Also, it is a heck of a lot easier to run a chain/lock through. They
                    might be the slightest bit heavier and more expensive than a decent
                    wheel, but I think it is worth it in the long run.

                    I just wanted to add my $0.02 to the discussion about frame rigidity. I
                    hope it can help someone.

                    Oh yeah, if someone chooses to mate an Xtracycle to an aluminum bike
                    frame, keep watch on the kickstand mount where the FAP connects to. On my
                    Univega after a few years I discovered the steel FAP actually grinded
                    down into the aluminum tubing. Of course that meant the FAP bolt had to
                    be repeatedly tightened, but I completely and cheaply resolved the issue.
                    I fabricated a little trapezoid piece of metal from a short plumbing pipe
                    cut to shape using a Dremel cutting disc and a metal drill bit for the
                    FAP bolt to run through.

                    Take care and ride safe,
                    _TONE_
                  • Miguel Barroso
                    Message 10 of 22 , Jun 22, 2012
                      I find it strange to hear so much complaint about flex. For me is a good thing!.. it makes the ride much more comfortable. Unless your are doing races, the performance loss is insignificant. In fact, I urge everybody to slow down a bit... If there is a way to prevent accidents, is by riding carefully and slightly slower than our fitness level allows.

                      I normaly ride with my 2 boys on the back, plus all the junk I normally lug around in the free loaders - laptop, books, etc... more than 50Kgs, I might suspect. I've carryed a cameraman, with over 80Kg, with no problems... well, almost no problems - going up a 8~10% slope with him in the back, was not an easy task.

                      I have a steel GT Tequesta (1996), with the free radical.

                      Miguel Barroso

                    • Jeremy Cohen
                      Message 11 of 22 , Jun 22, 2012
                        I agree!  This flex/no flex discussion feels like local racers talking about titanium spoke nipples---I ride a crappy, old donor bike with a free-rad on the back.  I schlep a kid, often two kids plus all my other stuff, and while I suppose my bike flexes while I pedal, it is nothing compared to the side to side wiggle I get from two kids doing a synchronized sing-along as we cruise around town.

                      • Douglas Botma
                        Message 12 of 22 , Jun 23, 2012
                          The flex in my Schwinn Mesa aluminum frame has nothing to do with playing Joe Racer but more
                          to do with the doner -Xtracycle  match. It may be the 23"seat tube/24.5" top tube I need for my height causes more springy tubes and/or Schwinn's epicenter stays allowing the rear sub-frame to whip around . Maybe there should be a database of what combinations works well as I've seen suggested before.
                        • Troy
                          Message 13 of 22 , Jun 23, 2012
                            Jeremy and Miguel:

                            The flex we (or I, anyway) are discussing is a torsional flex, meaning to stand astride your bike and lean the bike back and forth under you by swinging the handlebars back and forth (not turning them, but leanign them).

                            On my wife's flexy bike, the xtracycle (especially if there is a heavy load in it) will lag behind like a fly fishing line or something. This also is very noticeable at low speeds or high speeds when riding and makes it hard to ride precisely at low speed without losing balance, and can make it downright dangerous at high speed. At moderate speed it doesn't seem to be as much of a problem.

                            I'm not talking about a flex in the... longitudinal(?) direction. Meaning that if i am coasting in a straight line, and bounce my weight on the pedals, i don't care if there's a little flex in the frame in that direction. In fact, as mentioned, that could even make the ride a little more comfortable over bumps.

                            Message 14 of 22 , Jun 23, 2012
                              Thanks for all the helpful responses.

                              I think my way forward is to carry on with my current set up and see how often the flex is an issue for me. If it's fairly often I'll probably go with a Yuba frameset.

                              In the meantime I think I'll add a used childback tandem to the stable. It's pretty hilly round here and going any distance I'll be glad of the extra help.

                              As an aside I was really pleased to discover today that the old 2 child trailer languishing in the shed has a hitch that easily connects to the XC. Great combination for the recycling centre run.
                            • Douglas Botma
                              Message 15 of 22 , Jun 26, 2012
                                As soon as  they are available (fall?), I will get Xtracycle's new sidecar to see if it will help stabilize the rig/allow me to take my 2 German Shepherds with on some rides (vet,woods,etc).
                                Their combined weight of 150 lbs, one on each Wideloader causes to much torsional flex and
                                since I don't use a car, I have to walk them to these & other places
                              • Andrew
                                Message 16 of 22 , Jun 28, 2012
                                  A few more trips and I'm learning more....

                                  I've had no issues with inert cargoes and it feels fine with my daughter (70lbs) + some shopping.

                                  But once I add her cousin (another 80lbs)it often starts to get 'interesting'. If niece sits well forward with daughter behind AND they sit still, handling is ok, though setting off uphill can be a bit wriggly. And of course they're having a good time with each other and sitting completely still isn't part of that:)

                                  So I think my issue is more related to crowd control than the bike!

                                  I'll increase the tyre pressure at the back as it's probably too low when they're both aboard.

                                  Anyway for 95% of what I'm doing it's great. And these are precious times, at 8 and 9 they're young enough to unselfconsciously enjoy the ride.
                                • Henry
                                  Message 17 of 22 , Jul 15 9:11 AM
                                    Sean has got it dead on. The noodle effect will always be a part of xtracycle experience. I have previously owned a Big Dummy and it is night and day in the stiffness department. And is odd as it may sound, the bd was too stiff for my taste. The energy transfer from bumps and bangs has got to dissipate to some final point and I would always feel it nail the seat post tube..my opinion and my lower back. I don't know when..and if ever.. the good folks at Xtracycle will come out with the heavy duty version of the free rad that I've seen some photos posted of. Will it send the noodle effect to oblivion?? We may never know. Lets Go! H.
                                    --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, gear.head@... wrote:

                                    > I have/had both: a 80's Diamondback with conversion and now my Dummy. There is no doubt the purpose made frame is stiffer. However it is worth noting that how you load makes a HUge difference. On either set up, keeping the weight low and as tight to the center of the bike will result in the best handling. The further up you go and further out you go amplifies the torque arm effect on the mounting interface of the xtra. I would say you get somewhat used to the flex and frame selection I feel would have a negligible impact on the "noodle" effect.
                                    >
                                    > See attached picture of a heavy load, low and tight. (Maximum noodle at this weight).
                                    >
                                    > Sean

                                  • rlwieneke
                                    Message 18 of 22 , Jul 15 11:16 AM
                                      This entire problem with the Big Dummy would for the most part be solved with a suspended front fork. And if that is not sufficient, fully solved with an add on rear suspension such as the WAW Shockster rear suspension upgrade (gif below) if one could be made or modified to fit the rear of the Big Dummy.

                                      http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3590/3339115598_cb13c4b1f0_o.gif

                                      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Henry" <radialnation@...> wrote:

                                      > Sean has got it dead on. The noodle effect will always be a part of xtracycle experience. I have previously owned a Big Dummy and it is night and day in the stiffness department. And is odd as it may sound, the bd was too stiff for my taste. The energy transfer from bumps and bangs has got to dissipate to some final point and I would always feel it nail the seat post tube..my opinion and my lower back. I don't know when..and if ever.. the good folks at Xtracycle will come out with the heavy duty version of the free rad that I've seen some photos posted of. Will it send the noodle effect to oblivion?? We may never know. Lets Go! H.
                                      > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, gear.head@ wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > I have/had both: a 80's Diamondback with conversion and now my Dummy. There is no doubt the purpose made frame is stiffer. However it is worth noting that how you load makes a HUge difference. On either set up, keeping the weight low and as tight to the center of the bike will result in the best handling. The further up you go and further out you go amplifies the torque arm effect on the mounting interface of the xtra. I would say you get somewhat used to the flex and frame selection I feel would have a negligible impact on the "noodle" effect.
                                      > >
                                      > > See attached picture of a heavy load, low and tight. (Maximum noodle at this weight).
                                      > >
                                      > > Sean

                                    • Brian Livelsberger
                                      Message 19 of 22 , Jul 15 11:23 AM

                                        Sprung saddle can help (a la Brooks, or the similar Gyes)

                                        Brian

                                        On Jul 15, 2012 2:16 PM, "rlwieneke" <catrike@...> wrote:

                                        This entire problem with the Big Dummy would for the most part be solved with a suspended front fork. And if that is not sufficient, fully solved with an add on rear suspension such as the WAW Shockster rear suspension upgrade (gif below) if one could be made or modified to fit the rear of the Big Dummy.

                                        http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3590/3339115598_cb13c4b1f0_o.gif

                                        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Henry" <radialnation@...> wrote:

                                        > Sean has got it dead on. The noodle effect will always be a part of xtracycle experience. I have previously owned a Big Dummy and it is night and day in the stiffness department. And is odd as it may sound, the bd was too stiff for my taste. The energy transfer from bumps and bangs has got to dissipate to some final point and I would always feel it nail the seat post tube..my opinion and my lower back. I don't know when..and if ever.. the good folks at Xtracycle will come out with the heavy duty version of the free rad that I've seen some photos posted of. Will it send the noodle effect to oblivion?? We may never know. Lets Go! H.
                                        > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, gear.head@ wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > I have/had both: a 80's Diamondback with conversion and now my Dummy. There is no doubt the purpose made frame is stiffer. However it is worth noting that how you load makes a HUge difference. On either set up, keeping the weight low and as tight to the center of the bike will result in the best handling. The further up you go and further out you go amplifies the torque arm effect on the mounting interface of the xtra. I would say you get somewhat used to the flex and frame selection I feel would have a negligible impact on the "noodle" effect.
                                        > >
                                        > > See attached picture of a heavy load, low and tight. (Maximum noodle at this weight).
                                        > >
                                        > > Sean

                                      • David Dannenberg
                                        Message 20 of 22 , Jul 16 6:41 AM
                                          A Thudbuster would do it. Very simple--not cheap though.  http://www.thudbuster.com/
                                        • Steve Fuller
                                          Message 21 of 22 , Jul 16 7:16 AM
                                            On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 8:41 AM, David Dannenberg <ddannenberg@...> wrote:

                                            A Thudbuster would do it. Very simple--not cheap though.  http://www.thudbuster.com/

                                            Lower tire pressures and wider tires might help too (although I don't know what the OP is running). Very simple as well. :)

                                            Steve
                                          • phaedrus at yahoo
                                            Message 22 of 22 , Jul 24 12:22 PM
                                              *heh*

                                              My partner had to do about 20 miles the other day on her xtracycle with the kid and trailer in tow.

                                              She expressed disappointment in herself because she remembers being able to take a similar route in much less time a few years ago when she commuted that way regularly.

                                              My response: "Sweetie, your bachetta was like a sports car.  Now you're riding a minivan.  It would be amazing if you were as fast."

                                              I think it made her feel better - its strange how context can slip out of expectation calculations.

                                              (Although, I just mounted an xtracycle on a Cruz Bike.   It's like a sports truck?)

                                              - phaedrus

                                              On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 7:35 AM, Cara Lin Bridgman <cara.lin@...> wrote:

                                              Exactly! I had one carbon-fiber roadie try to do the 1-finger-lift
                                              trick on my xtracycle. There was absolutely no way that was going to
                                              work even if it wasn't loaded with stokemonkey, battery, book bag, etc.

                                              Xtracycles are trucks, not sports cars.

                                              CL