Electric Assist Big Dummy

  • thaddeus_block
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 7, 2012
      Hi All,
      I am building up an XL Big Dummy with xtracycle racks/flight deck, and adding an electric assist system by way of front wheel hub motor.

      considering a 48V system which has a large flat battery pack.

      Anyone in the group have clever ideas of where to mount the rather large battery packs?

      1.) 48 V li battery system is mounted in a metal container 14"x6"x3.25" and designed for rack mounting. 48V sounds fun, but I want kids on the rack, not a battery. Thinking of mounting the battery UNDER the flight deck, but that would require the flight deck to be raised up another 2" to leave room for the battery under there. Raising the deck would require building a longer vrack, or putting spacers between the deck and the rack. Any suggestions?

      Thanks
    • Steve Fuller
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 7, 2012
        On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 4:09 PM, thaddeus_block <thaddeus_block@...> wrote:

        Hi All,
        I am building up an XL Big Dummy with xtracycle racks/flight deck, and adding an electric assist system by way of front wheel hub motor.

        considering a 48V system which has a large flat battery pack.

        Anyone in the group have clever ideas of where to mount the rather large battery packs?

        I'd normally consider something up front to balance the weight a bit better, but the weight will be up high and slow your steering response. How heavy is the battery pack?

        Other spots I'd consider are the flat tube behind the bottom bracket on the "seat stays"

        Steve
      • David Dannenberg
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 8, 2012
          Could you mount the battery pack behind the seat, in front of the rear wheel, on that angled tube where the 4th water bottle cage is? That can be a handy little slot.

          David Dannenberg
        • soappedaler
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 8, 2012
          • 1 Attachment
          • 1.3 MB
          I electrified my dummy about a year ago. Love it! Here's a picture of my bike, you can see the battery mounted behind the seat, There's a piece of gray foam between the battery and the metal on the frame. It's strapped on with a black strap, that's what the mechanic did , I put duck around the upper part just because I love duck tape. This has stayed in place with no problem, stayed put through a crash that dislodged the cycle analyst. My e-kit has a motor controller which the mechanic mounted in one of the water bottle cages, you can see it in the photo.
        • radiomko
          Message 5 of 9 , Jun 8, 2012
            That's where I mounted my SLA Battery, GT Motto with free radical X, & ampedbikes.com rear geared hub motor... I too am Loving it!
            I've posted photos on fb, cargo cyclist, xtracycle and (r)evolutions per minute... I'm Ray Marko on fb...

            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, David Dannenberg <ddannenberg@...> wrote:

            > Could you mount the battery pack behind the seat, in front of the rear wheel, on that angled tube where the 4th water bottle cage is? That can be a handy little slot.
            >
            > David Dannenberg

          • Vince
            Message 6 of 9 , Jun 8, 2012
              I have the Sun Atlas Cargo, from the factory the one-piece vertical rack assembly is approximately 2" taller than the Xtracycle V-racks. I cut mine down to get the cg lower, worked out great. However, I now use a slightly-modified set of Xtracycle V-racks.

              If you would like the old steel Sun rack, you can have it for just the price of a box and shipping.

              You would need to add the height you need back on, but a decent gas welder can do that easily. I extended a set of too short cro-moly bars the same way recently. I would be happy to share those details with anyone interested.

              Also, Niagara Cycle Works was selling Atlas replacement parts, including the one-piece rack recently really cheap!

              Vince

              --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "thaddeus_block" <thaddeus_block@...> wrote:

              > Hi All,
              > I am building up an XL Big Dummy with xtracycle racks/flight deck, and adding an electric assist system by way of front wheel hub motor.
              >
              > considering a 48V system which has a large flat battery pack.
              >
              > Anyone in the group have clever ideas of where to mount the rather large battery packs?
              >
              > 1.) 48 V li battery system is mounted in a metal container 14"x6"x3.25" and designed for rack mounting. 48V sounds fun, but I want kids on the rack, not a battery. Thinking of mounting the battery UNDER the flight deck, but that would require the flight deck to be raised up another 2" to leave room for the battery under there. Raising the deck would require building a longer vrack, or putting spacers between the deck and the rack. Any suggestions?
              >
              > Thanks

            • Cara Lin Bridgman
              Message 7 of 9 , Jun 10, 2012
                I carry my battery in the free radical. Right now, I've one that fits
                in the inner pocket. Before, I had a bigger one that I just carried in
                the free radical.

                My battery isn't fixed to the bike because I remove it to charge it indoors.

                CL
              • thaddeusblock
                Message 8 of 9 , Jun 11, 2012
                  Looks great! thanks for the photo. very similar to my build, brooks seat included.... I'll post a photo of mine once built up.

                  Message 9 of 9 , Jun 11, 2012
                    Vince,
                    Thank you for the kind offer. Very generous. I'll be in touch once I see what the battery looks like (still waiting on shipping). I'll be sure to have more questions in a few days.
                    regards,
                    Thad