Big Dummy build

  • edbrand13
    Message 1 of 4 , May 15 6:20 AM
      Hi, i've bought a BD frame and am going to build it up myself. i have no parts yet and this is the first time i've built a bike. has anyone got any good suggestions where to start or good links? i live in budapest (which is hilly) and i'm going to use it to take my 2yr old twins around. cheers - ed.
    • gear.head@verizon.net
      Message 2 of 4 , May 15 6:35 AM
        Try Jensenusa.com they have some good build kits for a variety of budgets.

        Sean

        From: "edbrand13" <edmundbrand@...>
        Sender: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 13:20:55 +0000
        To: <rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com>
        ReplyTo: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [rootsradicals] Big Dummy build

        Hi, i've bought a BD frame and am going to build it up myself. i have no parts yet and this is the first time i've built a bike. has anyone got any good suggestions where to start or good links? i live in budapest (which is hilly) and i'm going to use it to take my 2yr old twins around. cheers - ed.

      • David Backeberg
        Message 3 of 4 , May 15 6:40 AM
          I bought my 2011 Big Dummy as the complete kit, and had the local bike
          shop put it together. If I was starting over with what I know now, I
          would have wanted a generator hub in the front to power headlights and
          tail lights.

          If you are in Budapest and using this through the winter and rain, I
          would really recommend a generator hub and good reliable lights.
          That's the biggest thing missing from my Dummy. Everything else has
          been great, no problems. Just needed to adjust the brakes and
          derailours when the cables stretched a bit. I've got about 1000 miles
          on it now.
          Message 4 of 4 , May 15 7:36 AM
            Ditto the generator hub.
            If you're handy with a soldering iron, you can also build your own lights if packaged lights are too expensive for you.

            You might consider the Sturmey-Archer XL-FDD: http://www.sturmey-archer.com/products/hubs/cid/2/id/48
            Be careful if/when you bend the bracket to install it; you want to use 2 wrenches on the bracket, and not put funny side loads on the hub body.

            An alternative to Jensen, especially for handlebars, is Velo-Orange.com.

            It's possible to run a quite-narrow bottom bracket, if that appeals to you, but do note that track bottom brackets are (oddly enough) not designed for cargo bike (ab)use.

            I don't think that a pair of twins and hills are compatible with internally geared hubs, except perhaps the Rohloff or Nuvinci, because of torque limits (i.e., you can only gear IGHs so low, even the Rohloff). You might want a KickBack for stability of loading/unloading, which means you'll want a derailer with a long cage to be sure that the chain clears.

            Big rims and tires (Sun Rhyno Lite, Schwalbe Big Apple, 2" or 2.35" (50-60mm)) are a good investment in durability and comfort.
            BD for Surly now seems to come with Salsa Gordo (I have one of those), it looks like a very strong rim.

            David