waterproofing/weatherproofing for the ride

  • ravenscroftscott
    Message 1 of 8 , May 14, 2012
      I'm considering an xtracycle for year-round use in Chicago, which means in Chicago winters. I've looked at the cargo cover video and it looks great for top-down precipitation, but how will the freeloaders handle the bottom-up,sploshy, big puddle action I'm anticipating come February/March?

      Most Chicago streets are very passable on most winter days; for you sunny climate dwellers, it's not as bad as it seems. It's not really the snow you worry about as much as the general volume of water and salt residue that gets your bike down. I'm just so tired of carrying a backpack!

      Thanks for any advice! :)
    • Liz W Durham

        Message 3 of 8 , May 14, 2012
          Thanks, it's good to know I wouldn't be alone out there :)

          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Liz W Durham <lizwdurham@...> wrote:

          > I have had my bike for over 3 years here in Chicago. I maintain it
          > tolerably. My bags have managed just fine; they are the original ones from
          > when I purchased the bike and I don't foresee needing to replace them for
          > quite some time. My snapdeck has also survived fairly well.
          > On May 14, 2012 1:24 PM, "ravenscroftscott" <ravenscroftscott@...>
          > wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > I'm considering an xtracycle for year-round use in Chicago, which means in
          > > Chicago winters. I've looked at the cargo cover video and it looks great
          > > for top-down precipitation, but how will the freeloaders handle the
          > > bottom-up,sploshy, big puddle action I'm anticipating come February/March?
          > >
          > > Most Chicago streets are very passable on most winter days; for you sunny
          > > climate dwellers, it's not as bad as it seems. It's not really the snow you
          > > worry about as much as the general volume of water and salt residue that
          > > gets your bike down. I'm just so tired of carrying a backpack!
          > >
          > > Thanks for any advice! :)

        • Zipper
          Message 4 of 8 , May 15, 2012
            I purchased my Big Dummy last summer, and rode it all last winter in Minneapolis. Granted, it was an easy winter, but it was still wet and sloppy at times. I installed a set of Planet Bike fenders- front and back. Those seem to do a very good job of keeping the water and slop off the standard bags and the rest of the bike for that matter.

            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "ravenscroftscott" <ravenscroftscott@...> wrote:

            > I'm considering an xtracycle for year-round use in Chicago, which means in Chicago winters. I've looked at the cargo cover video and it looks great for top-down precipitation, but how will the freeloaders handle the bottom-up,sploshy, big puddle action I'm anticipating come February/March?
            >
            > Most Chicago streets are very passable on most winter days; for you sunny climate dwellers, it's not as bad as it seems. It's not really the snow you worry about as much as the general volume of water and salt residue that gets your bike down. I'm just so tired of carrying a backpack!
            >
            > Thanks for any advice! :)

          • anthonyeberger
            Message 5 of 8 , May 15, 2012
              I ride my Xtra year round in Milwaukee WI. Either mate the Xtra to an aluminum frame or simply Framesaver both if Steel.

              Personally, I like Internal Gears on my winter bikes to reduce maintenance but I'm fortunate enough to have Two xtras so one has a standard geared setup. Disc brakes (or better roller drum) also greatly reduce maintenance which isn't really fun in the dead of winter in my cold garage.

              I find studs unnecessary as the bikes weight enough to get through all but the deepest of snow....and then it's FatBike time!

              Tony B.
              Riverwest WI

              --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "ravenscroftscott" <ravenscroftscott@...> wrote:

              > I'm considering an xtracycle for year-round use in Chicago, which means in Chicago winters. I've looked at the cargo cover video and it looks great for top-down precipitation, but how will the freeloaders handle the bottom-up,sploshy, big puddle action I'm anticipating come February/March?
              >
              > Most Chicago streets are very passable on most winter days; for you sunny climate dwellers, it's not as bad as it seems. It's not really the snow you worry about as much as the general volume of water and salt residue that gets your bike down. I'm just so tired of carrying a backpack!
              >
              > Thanks for any advice! :)

            • Jim
              Message 6 of 8 , May 15, 2012
                Here is a post with a good waterproofing tip using sections of tube to create a nice seal where the bars meet the frame. Easy Peasy.

                http://cyclejerk.blogspot.com/2012/05/xtracycle-add-ons.html

                --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "ravenscroftscott" <ravenscroftscott@...> wrote:

                > I'm considering an xtracycle for year-round use in Chicago, which means in Chicago winters. I've looked at the cargo cover video and it looks great for top-down precipitation, but how will the freeloaders handle the bottom-up,sploshy, big puddle action I'm anticipating come February/March?
                >
                > Most Chicago streets are very passable on most winter days; for you sunny climate dwellers, it's not as bad as it seems. It's not really the snow you worry about as much as the general volume of water and salt residue that gets your bike down. I'm just so tired of carrying a backpack!
                >
                > Thanks for any advice! :)

              • ravenscroftscott
                Message 7 of 8 , May 19, 2012
                  Thanks for your tips; you all are very helpful. Now I'm pretty sure I'm going to try a FreeRadical setup on my 1988 Fuji Cadenza that I bought used and rebuilt, but with all of its original parts intact (new seat, swapped out handlebars). Here's its specs: http://classicfuji.com/Cadenza_1988_Page.htm

                  How does the FreeRadical hold up to winter conditions? I expect it might need a little more prepping/maintenance, but perhaps it's the same?

                  thanks!
                  Reba

                  --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "ravenscroftscott" <ravenscroftscott@...> wrote:

                  > I'm considering an xtracycle for year-round use in Chicago, which means in Chicago winters. I've looked at the cargo cover video and it looks great for top-down precipitation, but how will the freeloaders handle the bottom-up,sploshy, big puddle action I'm anticipating come February/March?
                  >
                  > Most Chicago streets are very passable on most winter days; for you sunny climate dwellers, it's not as bad as it seems. It's not really the snow you worry about as much as the general volume of water and salt residue that gets your bike down. I'm just so tired of carrying a backpack!
                  >
                  > Thanks for any advice! :)

                • Dr. Michael Polsinelli
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 20, 2012
                    I rode throught the winter here in Cleveland. I got some rust spotting
                    on the xtracycle frame, but nothing to worry about. It was hard on the
                    drivetrain though.

                    For the xtracycle, I used electrical tape to attached pieces of
                    innertube to the v rack. The tube would go over the opening in the
                    xtracycle frame and keep moisture from going into the frame. I also
                    attached fenders front and back. On the back, I also put an extra flap
                    on the fender to improve coverage. The snapdeck was pretty worn when I
                    got the bike, but I just got a new one (scratch and dent) from
                    xtracycle. The new one seems to have a better finish and should last
                    longer. I just had the cassette and chain replaced, along with some
                    cables. I rerouted my rear derailer because it was going under the
                    bottom bracket and slush would freeze there, not letting me shift. For
                    next year, I'll go over all scratches with some nail polish/paint to
                    keep the frame from rusting. I may also get some coroplast and cover the
                    rear frame between the bags and wheel. I kept slicks on all winter and
                    did pretty well. I rode every week and was able to get fine traction. It
                    was a mild winter and I may get studs next year.