Re: [rootsradicals] Use Headphones While Riding?

  • Mark Garvey
    Message 1 of 23 , May 9, 2012

      I recently purchased a stocking cap that is designed for an I-pod.  Speakers are in pockets in the hat.  They could easily be used in other applications.  A headband type of ear warmee for instance.  Our a skull cap.  They are not too difficult to deal with.  I also have found a few small and inexpensive speaker sets available that would easily snuggle in a handlebar bag.  Both sets I have include amplifiers.

      On May 8, 2012 12:08 PM, "Rich W" <astronut1001@...> wrote:
      Possibly off subject but do you use headphones when riding and if so what kind?

      I note that several makers including Sony, Philips and Sennheiser make some headphones which sit in the outer ear and aim the sound at the ear canal without actually blocking or covering it.  As these do not block external noises they appear to me to be the safest headphones to use for riding as long as the volume is kept to a reasonable level.  Many of these are made with a behind-the-neck type band or a very thin over the head type band which do not interfere with wearing a helmet.

      Noise cancelling or in-ear-canal type phones seem to me to be the most dangerous types as they isolate the rider from the sound of horns, sirens and other danger warning sounds.  Full size over-the-ear phones also appear to be a poor choice as most prevent wearing a helmet as well as blocking external sounds.

      I would like to get other members thoughts on this as I consider the choice of listening devices, if used, to be a safety concern both when riding and for pedestrians.

      Rich Wood

      <*> Your email settings:
         Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
         (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
         rootsradicals-digest@yahoogroups.com

         http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • ravenscroftscott
      Message 2 of 23 , May 14, 2012
        Check with your city ordinance regarding headphones and cycling. Here in Chicago, it is illegal for bicyclists to wear headphones. And, as a rider, I steer clear of cyclists who wear them; I don't trust riders to be able to hear me yelling "ON YOUR LEFT" if I need to pass,(a rare occurrence) or (more likely)to notice that my brakes have squealed to a stop because the car in front of us is turning right without signalling. Yes, it happens *that* fast sometimes. In some riding situations, it's a concern for your fellow cyclists, too.

        Reba

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Rich W" <astronut1001@...> wrote:

        > Possibly off subject but do you use headphones when riding and if so what kind?
        >
        > I note that several makers including Sony, Philips and Sennheiser make some headphones which sit in the outer ear and aim the sound at the ear canal without actually blocking or covering it. As these do not block external noises they appear to me to be the safest headphones to use for riding as long as the volume is kept to a reasonable level. Many of these are made with a behind-the-neck type band or a very thin over the head type band which do not interfere with wearing a helmet.
        >
        > Noise cancelling or in-ear-canal type phones seem to me to be the most dangerous types as they isolate the rider from the sound of horns, sirens and other danger warning sounds. Full size over-the-ear phones also appear to be a poor choice as most prevent wearing a helmet as well as blocking external sounds.
        >
        > I would like to get other members thoughts on this as I consider the choice of listening devices, if used, to be a safety concern both when riding and for pedestrians.
        >
        > Rich Wood

      • Rich W
        Message 3 of 23 , May 14, 2012
          Interesting points. Bicycle laws are minimal in Nevada where there are not even any helmet laws for bicyclists, even kids, with the exception of on some Indian reservations.

          I find it interesting that headphones are banned for cyclists, even those designs that do not block the ear canal or cover the ear so do allow external sound in. At the same time drivers get away with eating, drinking, telephoning, texting, GPS operation, entertainment system operation and listening while their windows are rolled up and AC or heater going full blast. Some play music so loud that they cannot hear anything in the way of emergency vehicles. I realize that the texting is illegal in many areas and telephoning is also illegal except for hands free sets in most states but both are still widely done and per tests the hands free phones do not increase safety. I have also noted shaving, reading and makeup application while driving, among other activities.

          Are bicyclists really that much more safety conscious than car drivers and if so does the automobile isolate the driver from the external environment to the point where many drivers consider themselves invulnerable and capable of multitasking? I note that when Mythbusters on TV has tried testing multitasking driving the results have been very unsafe.

          Rich Wood

          Message 4 of 23 , May 15, 2012
            A few years ago it struck me just how deaf drivers are, and the second thing that struck me is why it took me so long to figure this out. I think it has a lot to do with this image of cars as empowering go-anywhere-mobiles.

            What drove the point home for me was watching everyone around me (not) react to an emergency vehicle that was headed our direction. It was audible to me for a minute or two before any of the cars seemed to notice, was clearly behind us, was clearly coming closer. They didn't hear it at first, and they couldn't seem to realize that it was coming our way, and then bumbled around like drunken sheep trying to get out of its way (by this time, I was completely off the road).

            On 2012-05-15, at 2:34 AM, Rich W wrote:
            > I find it interesting that headphones are banned for cyclists, even those designs that do not block the ear canal or cover the ear so do allow external sound in. At the same time drivers get away with eating, drinking, telephoning, texting, GPS operation, entertainment system operation and listening while their windows are rolled up and AC or heater going full blast. Some play music so loud that they cannot hear anything in the way of emergency vehicles. I realize that the texting is illegal in many areas and telephoning is also illegal except for hands free sets in most states but both are still widely done and per tests the hands free phones do not increase safety. I have also noted shaving, reading and makeup application while driving, among other activities.
            >
            > Are bicyclists really that much more safety conscious than car drivers and if so does the automobile isolate the driver from the external environment to the point where many drivers consider themselves invulnerable and capable of multitasking? I note that when Mythbusters on TV has tried testing multitasking driving the results have been very unsafe.
          • Jeffrey
            Message 5 of 23 , May 15, 2012
              I figured this would venture into the realm of should people wear headphones while riding, given where the kid on the back of the snapdeck went.

              Throwing my $0.02 in. I wear Sennheiser CX300 buds:
              http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-MK-II-Earbuds-Carrying/dp/B001EZYMF4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337097787&sr=8-1

              I ride mostly on MUPs but also ride in downtown traffic. They allow road noise in, and I never had had a problem having anyone (car or bike) supprise me. They don't pop out (good), sound pretty good (not that you need them to given that nobody does critical listening while pounding away at the bike), and are not too expensive. I sometimes wet the silicone ear thingys to keep them in my ear a bit better and that works well.

              I can understand Reba's comments, they sound valid for her. But my experience tells me this:

              If I say "on your left" (and I do it allot while on my lunch-hour sprints), its more dependent on the *type* of rider on what they will do, then whether they have headphones on. Recreational riders (old and young) turn to their left and in doing so steer right into me - basically causing the problem I was trying to avoid. Avid cyclists (headphones or not), keep looking straight, sometimes pull slightly right to give me space, and no issues.... My rule of thumb, I don't buzz people, but if they look like novices, I don't say anything and basically pass them all the way on the other side of the bike trail so I don't supprise them... (and after I pass, I say thank you and wave)

              About the break squealing thing, I personally never depend on someones misadjusted brakes to tell me they are stopping. Lockup on the bike tires (visually) works just as well and works even if the rider is usings audibly silent disc, coaster, or drum brakes:-)

              Cheers, and happy riding.

              --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "ravenscroftscott" <ravenscroftscott@...> wrote:

              > Check with your city ordinance regarding headphones and cycling. Here in Chicago, it is illegal for bicyclists to wear headphones. And, as a rider, I steer clear of cyclists who wear them; I don't trust riders to be able to hear me yelling "ON YOUR LEFT" if I need to pass,(a rare occurrence) or (more likely)to notice that my brakes have squealed to a stop because the car in front of us is turning right without signalling. Yes, it happens *that* fast sometimes. In some riding situations, it's a concern for your fellow cyclists, too.
              >
              > Reba
              >

              > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Rich W" <astronut1001@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Possibly off subject but do you use headphones when riding and if so what kind?
              > >
              > > I note that several makers including Sony, Philips and Sennheiser make some headphones which sit in the outer ear and aim the sound at the ear canal without actually blocking or covering it. As these do not block external noises they appear to me to be the safest headphones to use for riding as long as the volume is kept to a reasonable level. Many of these are made with a behind-the-neck type band or a very thin over the head type band which do not interfere with wearing a helmet.
              > >
              > > Noise cancelling or in-ear-canal type phones seem to me to be the most dangerous types as they isolate the rider from the sound of horns, sirens and other danger warning sounds. Full size over-the-ear phones also appear to be a poor choice as most prevent wearing a helmet as well as blocking external sounds.
              > >
              > > I would like to get other members thoughts on this as I consider the choice of listening devices, if used, to be a safety concern both when riding and for pedestrians.
              > >
              > > Rich Wood

            • Rich W
              Message 6 of 23 , May 15, 2012
                Sennheiser and Sony also make non ear covering and non ear canal blocking sport headphones which allow in ambient sound, basically unattenuated. These provide a similar to listening to speakers audio environment.

                http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-PMX-680-Sports-Headphones/dp/B0034L3G8U/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1337126728&sr=1-1

                and

                http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Lightweight-MDR-W08L-In-The-Ear-Headphones/dp/B00005N6KG/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1337127225&sr=1-1

                For riders who want or need speakers for listening while riding due to local or state laws, or personal preference, the Audible Rush company seems to have the system that most closely approaches car stereo as far as sound level and quality. It uses a 12V Lithium Ion rechargeable battery and mounts in a included handlebar bag. Your smartphone or MP3 player attaches to it. Not cheap but per reviews the best speaker system for bicycles on the market. This is a new company and apparently their systems are assembled in the USA, at least for now.

                http://www.amazon.com/Audible-Rush-Jam-Pac-Premium--Bicycle/dp/B006H9U28S/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1337128406&sr=1-2

                Rich Wood

                --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey" <jeffrey_hiroshima@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > > >
                > > > Noise cancelling or in-ear-canal type phones seem to me to be the most dangerous types as they isolate the rider from the sound of horns, sirens and other danger warning sounds. Full size over-the-ear phones also appear to be a poor choice as most prevent wearing a helmet as well as blocking external sounds.
                > > >
                > > > I would like to get other members thoughts on this as I consider the choice of listening devices, if used, to be a safety concern both when riding and for pedestrians.

              • Rich W
                Message 7 of 23 , May 15, 2012
                  Sorry for the duplicate post (removed). Blame Microschlock Idiotic Exploiter ;-)

                  Rich Wood