Re: [rootsradicals] Re: Use Headphones While Riding?

  • Michael Meyer
    Message 1 of 23 , May 8, 2012
      I use a bluetooth speaker on my handle bars.  Headphones of any kind take away one of my best defenses, hearing.

      On May 8, 2012, at 10:47 AM, jj velvetackbar wrote:

      As a firearm shooter, I can tell you that you will hear sirens, regardless of noise-cancelling. Most sirens meet the same number of decibels as firearms, and even with earplugs AND earmuffs, you still hear the firearm. There exist earmuffs that cancel out most of the sound of a firearm, but they are bulkier than in the ear products, and are tuned to the sound of firearms.

      Earbuds that cancel out noise aren't going to cancel to that level.

      I recommend easing any headphone you wish and keeping the volume down to allow your ear to pick up ambient sound.

      jj

      On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 10:36 AM, Jeremy Cohen <wjeremycohen@...> wrote:

      I use the standard ipod in the ear type and usually only put one side in.  This allows me to hear my music (or phone if I am talking on it) in one ear and the world around me with the other.  I have tried a number of the behind the back of the head type of headphones but they always bother me under the helmet.  What I miss in "sound quality" doesn't matter in the context of my rides.  I do get some air noise when I am rolling along fast and I suppose if I were going on some long recreational ride I would need to find earbuds that fit a bit better.

      Hope that helps.

    • gear.head@verizon.net
      Message 2 of 23 , May 8, 2012
        Rich,
        I fall in both camps on music and exercise.

        When I run I prefer to use an arm band device on audible speaker. It allows me to enjoy but still hear my surroundings well.

        When I ride my bike the wind noise makes audible speakers a challenge. I don't want to blast my audio on bystanders who don't like my taste in tunes. I found "one good bud" to be the perfect compromise. It gives great sound canceling sound quality through one ear bud. They have them with an ultra short cord so you can clip your shuffle to your helmet. By far the best compromise. I still get a free ear for safety and quality balanced sound.

        http://farendgear.com/xdu/?oge_redir=1

        These guys sell them for $20.

        Sean

        From: "Rich W" <astronut1001@...>
        Sender: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Tue, 08 May 2012 17:08:43 +0000
        To: <rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com>
        ReplyTo: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [rootsradicals] Use Headphones While Riding?

        Possibly off subject but do you use headphones when riding and if so what kind?

        I note that several makers including Sony, Philips and Sennheiser make some headphones which sit in the outer ear and aim the sound at the ear canal without actually blocking or covering it. As these do not block external noises they appear to me to be the safest headphones to use for riding as long as the volume is kept to a reasonable level. Many of these are made with a behind-the-neck type band or a very thin over the head type band which do not interfere with wearing a helmet.

        Noise cancelling or in-ear-canal type phones seem to me to be the most dangerous types as they isolate the rider from the sound of horns, sirens and other danger warning sounds. Full size over-the-ear phones also appear to be a poor choice as most prevent wearing a helmet as well as blocking external sounds.

        I would like to get other members thoughts on this as I consider the choice of listening devices, if used, to be a safety concern both when riding and for pedestrians.

        Rich Wood

      • phaedrus at yahoo
        Message 3 of 23 , May 8, 2012
          New Egg will be selling a single ear bud as their 3pm (PDT) shell shocker

          I also run one ear bud in my right ear leaving my more frequent traffic side ear open.  I currently use a  regular earbud stereo headset but leave the left earbud coiled around a cord keeper.

          I realize that it puts me at slightly more risk as my attention is somewhat divided, but I feel its far less of a risk than having my books or music go into both ears would be.  My ear(s) give me a great deal of information regarding what's going on behind me and approaching me.

          - phaedrus

          Message 4 of 23 , May 8, 2012
          • kest918@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 23 , May 8, 2012
              I don't use earphones or buds while riding but I have seen a couple guys downtown that run the full size over the ear types. Although they don't wear wear them over their ears but rather around their necks. Seems to work well enough that I'm interested in trying it.

              On May 8, 2012, at 1:08 PM, "Rich W" <astronut1001@...> wrote:

[...]

              =
            • thom chiaramonte
              Message 6 of 23 , May 8, 2012
                Ive been working on a 29er Freerad conversion. I got about as far as I could go, and then took it to a local shop here in the Bay Area that does excellent work and has experience with the Xtracycle stuff. They are helping me sort out the few remaining issues, primarily around replacing the FAP with a custom solution (the wheel stays are too long on my 29er to support the FAP use, and I engineered a solution myself which they think won't last long term, so we will be fabricating something.) As fitting a 29er voids warranty, is a report of my project when completed something that is appropriate to post for other readers here? I know I did a lot of research up front yet still found a few details I hadn't anticipated in the conversion.
                So far so awesome, though…
              • gear.head@verizon.net
                Message 7 of 23 , May 8, 2012
                  I would be interested to see the progress.

                  Sean

                  Message 8 of 23 , May 8, 2012
                    At the moment I can not recall the brand name, but I know there is a well
                    known helmet manufacturer, which makes a few versions with small speakers
                    built into the helmet. I just did a Google search for “bicycle helmet
                    speaker” and a few relevant results popped up.

                    $32 helmet with speakers built in:
                    http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM6311779402P?sid=IDx20101019x00001a&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=SPM6311779402

                    A $120 device, which transmit your music into your helmet so it actually
                    becomes the speaker:
                    http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/08/tunebug-turns-your-bike-helmet-into-a-speaker/

                    Neither of these are the quality brand I know exists, but this was just a
                    quick search. It should not be difficult for someone to track down. I do
                    remember that the helmet I am thinking of was not Gyro or Bell, and it
                    looked more like a skateboarding style helmet rather than the typical
                    aerodynamic road cycling style.
                    Personally, I choose not to ride with headphones. I tried it a bit, but
                    that was back when I was a rookie messenger. I quickly realized it was
                    too dangerous to ride in NYC traffic without full hearing available.
                    Also, there was always the added hassle and distraction of dealing with
                    the wiring and selecting songs, etc. Of course I am half deaf in one ear,
                    so that does not help my situation either. Before anyone challenges me
                    for ranting for the cause of not wearing headphones while riding… I also
                    choose not to wear a helmet, so I suppose that even things out. I firmly
                    believe it is the rider’s choice to choose what is best to suit their
                    preference.
                    Ride safe
                  • Steve Fuller
                    Message 9 of 23 , May 8, 2012

                      On May 8, 2012, at 12:08 PM, Rich W wrote:

                      I would like to get other members thoughts on this as I consider the choice of listening devices, if used, to be a safety concern both when riding and for pedestrians.

                      I haven't used these personally, but they are getting some reasonable reviews - http://www.aftershokz.com/Default.asp
                      They use bone conduction to get sound to your head.

                      Steve Fuller
                    • Mark Garvey
                      Message 10 of 23 , May 9, 2012

                        I recently purchased a stocking cap that is designed for an I-pod.  Speakers are in pockets in the hat.  They could easily be used in other applications.  A headband type of ear warmee for instance.  Our a skull cap.  They are not too difficult to deal with.  I also have found a few small and inexpensive speaker sets available that would easily snuggle in a handlebar bag.  Both sets I have include amplifiers.

                        On May 8, 2012 12:08 PM, "Rich W" <astronut1001@...> wrote:
[...]

                        <*> Your email settings:
                           Individual Email | Traditional

                        <*> To change settings online go to:
                           (Yahoo! ID required)

                        <*> To change settings via email:
                           rootsradicals-digest@yahoogroups.com

                           http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                      • ravenscroftscott
                        Message 11 of 23 , May 14, 2012
                          Check with your city ordinance regarding headphones and cycling. Here in Chicago, it is illegal for bicyclists to wear headphones. And, as a rider, I steer clear of cyclists who wear them; I don't trust riders to be able to hear me yelling "ON YOUR LEFT" if I need to pass,(a rare occurrence) or (more likely)to notice that my brakes have squealed to a stop because the car in front of us is turning right without signalling. Yes, it happens *that* fast sometimes. In some riding situations, it's a concern for your fellow cyclists, too.

                          Reba

                          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Rich W" <astronut1001@...> wrote:

                          > Possibly off subject but do you use headphones when riding and if so what kind?
                          >
                          > I note that several makers including Sony, Philips and Sennheiser make some headphones which sit in the outer ear and aim the sound at the ear canal without actually blocking or covering it. As these do not block external noises they appear to me to be the safest headphones to use for riding as long as the volume is kept to a reasonable level. Many of these are made with a behind-the-neck type band or a very thin over the head type band which do not interfere with wearing a helmet.
                          >
                          > Noise cancelling or in-ear-canal type phones seem to me to be the most dangerous types as they isolate the rider from the sound of horns, sirens and other danger warning sounds. Full size over-the-ear phones also appear to be a poor choice as most prevent wearing a helmet as well as blocking external sounds.
                          >
                          > I would like to get other members thoughts on this as I consider the choice of listening devices, if used, to be a safety concern both when riding and for pedestrians.
                          >
                          > Rich Wood

                        • Rich W
                          Message 12 of 23 , May 14, 2012
                            Interesting points. Bicycle laws are minimal in Nevada where there are not even any helmet laws for bicyclists, even kids, with the exception of on some Indian reservations.

                            I find it interesting that headphones are banned for cyclists, even those designs that do not block the ear canal or cover the ear so do allow external sound in. At the same time drivers get away with eating, drinking, telephoning, texting, GPS operation, entertainment system operation and listening while their windows are rolled up and AC or heater going full blast. Some play music so loud that they cannot hear anything in the way of emergency vehicles. I realize that the texting is illegal in many areas and telephoning is also illegal except for hands free sets in most states but both are still widely done and per tests the hands free phones do not increase safety. I have also noted shaving, reading and makeup application while driving, among other activities.

                            Are bicyclists really that much more safety conscious than car drivers and if so does the automobile isolate the driver from the external environment to the point where many drivers consider themselves invulnerable and capable of multitasking? I note that when Mythbusters on TV has tried testing multitasking driving the results have been very unsafe.

                            Rich Wood

                            Message 13 of 23 , May 15, 2012
                              A few years ago it struck me just how deaf drivers are, and the second thing that struck me is why it took me so long to figure this out. I think it has a lot to do with this image of cars as empowering go-anywhere-mobiles.

                              What drove the point home for me was watching everyone around me (not) react to an emergency vehicle that was headed our direction. It was audible to me for a minute or two before any of the cars seemed to notice, was clearly behind us, was clearly coming closer. They didn't hear it at first, and they couldn't seem to realize that it was coming our way, and then bumbled around like drunken sheep trying to get out of its way (by this time, I was completely off the road).

                              On 2012-05-15, at 2:34 AM, Rich W wrote:
                              > I find it interesting that headphones are banned for cyclists, even those designs that do not block the ear canal or cover the ear so do allow external sound in. At the same time drivers get away with eating, drinking, telephoning, texting, GPS operation, entertainment system operation and listening while their windows are rolled up and AC or heater going full blast. Some play music so loud that they cannot hear anything in the way of emergency vehicles. I realize that the texting is illegal in many areas and telephoning is also illegal except for hands free sets in most states but both are still widely done and per tests the hands free phones do not increase safety. I have also noted shaving, reading and makeup application while driving, among other activities.
                              >
                              > Are bicyclists really that much more safety conscious than car drivers and if so does the automobile isolate the driver from the external environment to the point where many drivers consider themselves invulnerable and capable of multitasking? I note that when Mythbusters on TV has tried testing multitasking driving the results have been very unsafe.
                            • Jeffrey
                              Message 14 of 23 , May 15, 2012
                                I figured this would venture into the realm of should people wear headphones while riding, given where the kid on the back of the snapdeck went.

                                Throwing my $0.02 in. I wear Sennheiser CX300 buds:
                                http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-MK-II-Earbuds-Carrying/dp/B001EZYMF4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337097787&sr=8-1

                                I ride mostly on MUPs but also ride in downtown traffic. They allow road noise in, and I never had had a problem having anyone (car or bike) supprise me. They don't pop out (good), sound pretty good (not that you need them to given that nobody does critical listening while pounding away at the bike), and are not too expensive. I sometimes wet the silicone ear thingys to keep them in my ear a bit better and that works well.

                                I can understand Reba's comments, they sound valid for her. But my experience tells me this:

                                If I say "on your left" (and I do it allot while on my lunch-hour sprints), its more dependent on the *type* of rider on what they will do, then whether they have headphones on. Recreational riders (old and young) turn to their left and in doing so steer right into me - basically causing the problem I was trying to avoid. Avid cyclists (headphones or not), keep looking straight, sometimes pull slightly right to give me space, and no issues.... My rule of thumb, I don't buzz people, but if they look like novices, I don't say anything and basically pass them all the way on the other side of the bike trail so I don't supprise them... (and after I pass, I say thank you and wave)

                                About the break squealing thing, I personally never depend on someones misadjusted brakes to tell me they are stopping. Lockup on the bike tires (visually) works just as well and works even if the rider is usings audibly silent disc, coaster, or drum brakes:-)

                                Cheers, and happy riding.

                                --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "ravenscroftscott" <ravenscroftscott@...> wrote:

                                > Check with your city ordinance regarding headphones and cycling. Here in Chicago, it is illegal for bicyclists to wear headphones. And, as a rider, I steer clear of cyclists who wear them; I don't trust riders to be able to hear me yelling "ON YOUR LEFT" if I need to pass,(a rare occurrence) or (more likely)to notice that my brakes have squealed to a stop because the car in front of us is turning right without signalling. Yes, it happens *that* fast sometimes. In some riding situations, it's a concern for your fellow cyclists, too.
                                >
                                > Reba
                                >

                                > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Rich W" <astronut1001@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Possibly off subject but do you use headphones when riding and if so what kind?
                                > >
                                > > I note that several makers including Sony, Philips and Sennheiser make some headphones which sit in the outer ear and aim the sound at the ear canal without actually blocking or covering it. As these do not block external noises they appear to me to be the safest headphones to use for riding as long as the volume is kept to a reasonable level. Many of these are made with a behind-the-neck type band or a very thin over the head type band which do not interfere with wearing a helmet.
                                > >
                                > > Noise cancelling or in-ear-canal type phones seem to me to be the most dangerous types as they isolate the rider from the sound of horns, sirens and other danger warning sounds. Full size over-the-ear phones also appear to be a poor choice as most prevent wearing a helmet as well as blocking external sounds.
                                > >
                                > > I would like to get other members thoughts on this as I consider the choice of listening devices, if used, to be a safety concern both when riding and for pedestrians.
                                > >
                                > > Rich Wood

                              • Rich W
                                Message 15 of 23 , May 15, 2012
                                  Sennheiser and Sony also make non ear covering and non ear canal blocking sport headphones which allow in ambient sound, basically unattenuated. These provide a similar to listening to speakers audio environment.

                                  http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-PMX-680-Sports-Headphones/dp/B0034L3G8U/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1337126728&sr=1-1

                                  and

                                  http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Lightweight-MDR-W08L-In-The-Ear-Headphones/dp/B00005N6KG/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1337127225&sr=1-1

                                  For riders who want or need speakers for listening while riding due to local or state laws, or personal preference, the Audible Rush company seems to have the system that most closely approaches car stereo as far as sound level and quality. It uses a 12V Lithium Ion rechargeable battery and mounts in a included handlebar bag. Your smartphone or MP3 player attaches to it. Not cheap but per reviews the best speaker system for bicycles on the market. This is a new company and apparently their systems are assembled in the USA, at least for now.

                                  http://www.amazon.com/Audible-Rush-Jam-Pac-Premium--Bicycle/dp/B006H9U28S/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1337128406&sr=1-2

                                  Rich Wood

                                  --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey" <jeffrey_hiroshima@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Noise cancelling or in-ear-canal type phones seem to me to be the most dangerous types as they isolate the rider from the sound of horns, sirens and other danger warning sounds. Full size over-the-ear phones also appear to be a poor choice as most prevent wearing a helmet as well as blocking external sounds.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > I would like to get other members thoughts on this as I consider the choice of listening devices, if used, to be a safety concern both when riding and for pedestrians.

                                • Rich W
                                  Message 16 of 23 , May 15, 2012
                                    Sorry for the duplicate post (removed). Blame Microschlock Idiotic Exploiter ;-)

                                    Rich Wood