Re: [rootsradicals] Cetma basket rack

  • thom chiaramonte
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 10, 2012
      Robert, nice build.
      I use a Gomoh rack but my buddy swears by the CETMA. Each style of heavy duty carrier has it's own strengths and weaknesses. I like that the Gomoh has short side rails for helping to secure the base of things like bags and boxes that are being lashed down; he likes that his CETMA is flat and can handle very large objects that much lower (ie. not on top of the rails as I would on mine)… look forward to seeing follow up pics of the install!
      thom

      On Apr 10, 2012, at 9:57 AM, Andrew Kreps wrote:

      On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 22:09, Robert Tilley <rltilley@...> wrote:

      Yer bike looks good, Robert.  Now go out and get it dirty, willya?

      :)

    • rwieneke@swbell.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 10, 2012
        I put Egg & Bread Safe Sunlite baskets on my Xtracycle pannier racks. I origianally had them on with wing nuts and you could put them on and take them off when needed. They are bolted on the left side now with no wing nuts. Link to pictures:

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Robert Tilley <rltilley@...> wrote:

        > I do a lot of "epic" grocery runs on my Dummy & I always seems to end up
        > with no place to put bread, eggs or any other delicate items on the bike.
        > This is especially true on Costco run days. I've been looking at basket
        > type racks & decided on the Cetma Brack. It came down to the Cetma or the
        > Paul Flatbed & I went with the Cetma due to lower cost & no sales tax on
        > the purchase.
        >
        > It installed pretty easily with the exception that they left out two nuts
        > in the parts pack & I had to run up to the Home Depot to get some. I also
        > added some nylon washer spacers to get the fork mount far enough away from
        > the fork that it didn't rub.the fork legs. The rack mounts to the fork
        > brake hole & at the axle & the nice thing is that the racks leg ends mount
        > perfectly inside the lawyer lips on the Dummy's fork so that no filing or
        > spacers were required. I tested with a few hard stops & didn't feel any
        > movement up there so I think I'm good. Got a basket bungee net on order so
        > I'm all set now. I'll get to test it out next week. Some pics of the rack
        > are here (at the bottom):
        >
        > http://roberttilley.smugmug.com/Bicycles/Surly-Big-Dummy/16185229_DFKXRK#!i=1215500118&k=K6uLg
        >
        > Robert Tilley
        > San Diego, CA

      • Steve
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 10, 2012
          I have the CETMA HALFrack on my Xtracycle, which is the flat rack version of the Brack (part basket, part rack) described in this thread. http://cetmacargo.com/CETMACargoHalfrack.htm

          I like the clean design, as I don't haul enough to need the full CETMA rack on the front. I'm keeping an eye out for an old Coke crate or something similar I can use in lieu of a basket when needed. The HALFrack is heavy duty enough that I can sit my 170# self on it.

          Steve