Re: Cheap Stoker Conversion For Dummy

  • Gus
    Message 1 of 39 , Apr 10, 2012
      We all know there are times to not be cheap and this is one. A little kid NEEDS a child seat. My grandson was five when I got the Big Stoker, it was much less than a surfboard, and he could not reach the Footies. Dude, people like you give us a bad name, just like people who do not obey traffic laws.

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Sean Mackin <gear.head@...> wrote:

      > DIY Stoker Bar Conversion,
      >
      >   So I have been hauling my 3 year old daughter around on the back of my Dummy for a few months (her mom was nervous she would fall off). I have been throwing a strap around her waist to the snap deck and having her hold a strap slung under the seat. The reason for the make shift set up was I was too cheap to buy a stoker stem. Xtracycle website has them for $55 and Ebay was not much better for just the stem. Then I had a brainstorm, not sure what took me so long. Anyway, I figured a cheap way around this would be to get a shim that would allow me to use a regular 1 1/8" stem out of my bike parts box that would fit my seat post. So I looked on Ebay and found a shim for a seat post for putting a 27.2 seat post in a 28.6 frame for less than $5 including shipping. I have included some pictures.
      >

      > Sean
      >
      > Picture 1. Stem out of my parts bin and seat shim
      > Picture 2. Stem and shim test fit together (note: cut excess from bottom before fitting).
      >
      > Picture 3. How finished stoker bar looks. I had the bars and grips in my part collection. So I was able to do this whole conversion for $5 vs. $55. If you are curious I take the blinkie off when she is riding.

    • Sean Mullins
      Message 39 of 39 , Apr 13, 2012
        Jeff,
        I also use a kayak seat to haul my kids around. I use the Surf to Summit kayak seat designed for the sit on top scupper type kayak.

        Sent from my iPad

        On Apr 13, 2012, at 3:25 PM, "Jeffrey" <jeffrey_hiroshima@...> wrote:

        Jesse Ross,

        Can you tell me which kayak seat that is? I have looked a quite a few and they all look huge.

        FWIW, I have my 5-YO on the rear deck on a magic carpet. Bar ends for foot rests, and an upside-down/reveresed bullhorn stoker bar (using a std MTB stem with a shim like the OP).

        =