Re: [rootsradicals] Re: Cheap Stoker Conversion For Dummy

  • gear.head@verizon.net
    Message 1 of 39 , Apr 9, 2012
      Some clarification for those of you that are curious. The strap around her waist is fashioned like a proper seat belt. So, no prone kid cargo or bouncing off on a tether. She also has foot begs a-la 80's old school bmx. Finally, the temporary hand strap was more like a cowboy bronco strap sturdy with a few windings. I do see the local policeman on our regular loop with no incident. We ride at a reasonable pace, I value my precious cargo.

      Sean

      PS. By the time my son was her age he was on the back of my tandem doing 30+ mile rides.

      PPS. A negligent driver is much more my worry than any apparatus to haul a child.

      From: "robbie_thek@..." <ansi41man@...>
      Sender: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2012 19:37:58 +0000
      To: <rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com>
      ReplyTo: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [rootsradicals] Re: Cheap Stoker Conversion For Dummy

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Sean Mackin <gear.head@...> wrote:
      >   So I have been hauling my 3 year old daughter around on the back of my Dummy for a few months (her mom was nervous she would fall off). I have been throwing a strap around her waist to the snap deck and having her hold a strap slung under the seat. The reason for the make shift set up was I was too cheap....

      Uh huh, we get that. Wait, "strap around her waist to the snap deck"? Doesn't that mean that she's flat on her back? Or is it a kind of leash so that when she falls off she's still tethered to the snap deck? Not an event I want to imagine. But no worries, the 3-year-old is holding on to a strap on your seat? Well, that's so much better, what could go wrong?

      Have the police or child welfare seen you do this?
      .
      .
      .
      >...So I was able to do this whole conversion for $5 vs. $55. If you are curious I take the blinkie off when she is riding.

      Curious isn't the word. I don't think that there's any point in asking if you provide padding on the "snap deck". Fortunately, that's actually a Flight Deck. What I'm curious about is how many surf boards you own, given that your daughter doesn't rate a child seat.

    • Sean Mullins
      Message 39 of 39 , Apr 13, 2012
        Jeff,
        I also use a kayak seat to haul my kids around. I use the Surf to Summit kayak seat designed for the sit on top scupper type kayak.

        Sent from my iPad

        On Apr 13, 2012, at 3:25 PM, "Jeffrey" <jeffrey_hiroshima@...> wrote:

        Jesse Ross,

        Can you tell me which kayak seat that is? I have looked a quite a few and they all look huge.

        FWIW, I have my 5-YO on the rear deck on a magic carpet. Bar ends for foot rests, and an upside-down/reveresed bullhorn stoker bar (using a std MTB stem with a shim like the OP).

        =