Cheap Stoker Conversion For Dummy

  • Sean Mackin
    Message 1 of 39 , Apr 8 10:56 PM
    DIY Stoker Bar Conversion,

      So I have been hauling my 3 year old daughter around on the back of my Dummy for a few months (her mom was nervous she would fall off). I have been throwing a strap around her waist to the snap deck and having her hold a strap slung under the seat. The reason for the make shift set up was I was too cheap to buy a stoker stem. Xtracycle website has them for $55 and Ebay was not much better for just the stem. Then I had a brainstorm, not sure what took me so long. Anyway, I figured a cheap way around this would be to get a shim that would allow me to use a regular 1 1/8" stem out of my bike parts box that would fit my seat post. So I looked on Ebay and found a shim for a seat post for putting a 27.2 seat post in a 28.6 frame for less than $5 including shipping. I have included some pictures.

    Sean

    Picture 1. Stem out of my parts bin and seat shim
    Picture 2. Stem and shim test fit together (note: cut excess from bottom before fitting).
    Picture 3. How finished stoker bar looks. I had the bars and grips in my part collection. So I was able to do this whole conversion for $5 vs. $55. If you are curious I take the blinkie off when she is riding.
  • Sean Mullins
    Message 39 of 39 , Apr 13 3:44 PM
      Jeff,
      I also use a kayak seat to haul my kids around. I use the Surf to Summit kayak seat designed for the sit on top scupper type kayak.

      Sent from my iPad

      On Apr 13, 2012, at 3:25 PM, "Jeffrey" <jeffrey_hiroshima@...> wrote:

      Jesse Ross,

      Can you tell me which kayak seat that is? I have looked a quite a few and they all look huge.

      FWIW, I have my 5-YO on the rear deck on a magic carpet. Bar ends for foot rests, and an upside-down/reveresed bullhorn stoker bar (using a std MTB stem with a shim like the OP).

      =