Video of bus cutting off driver after hit & run on bike!

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 8, 2012
      A new law in Pennsylvania favoring bicyclists went into effect at 12:01
      am on April 2nd. The law sets requirements on drivers when passing and
      overtaking cyclists. Only about 15 hours passed before a 17 year old in
      Bethlehem, PA attempted a hit and run on an experienced cyclist, who was
      riding across a two-lane bridge. The two lane bridge has a narrow
      pedestrian path, so it has signs posted, which require cyclists to ride
      with traffic and take a full lane because there is no shoulder to safely
      ride along the right edge.
      Here is the video (no audio) from the traffic-cams:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7AVC1YCcO0

      The moment right before the collision is not totally clear in the video
      because the footage comes from two camera vantage points. Regardless,
      putting the events together paints the picture quite clearly. At 23
      seconds into the video you will see a bus, a silver car, and a black car
      all in the right lane. The bus will have to slow down before passing the
      cyclist in the left lane, but the black car does not want to wait. At 27
      seconds the black car cuts into the left lane to overtake the silver car
      and the bus. However, what is not shown is the bus beginning to pass the
      cyclist. What happens while the bus is passing the cyclist, is the black
      car, still impatient, cuts back in front of the silver car in an attempt
      to overtake the bus on its left side. Keep in mind, passing any vehicle
      on the left is generally not proper road etiquette in PA. At 30 seconds
      the black car harshly collides directly into the rear of the cyclist,
      throwing the cyclist back into his own hood. You can actually see the
      damage to the black cars hood on the Bethlehem Police Department’s blog:
      http://bethlehempolice.blogspot.com/#!/2012/04/press-release-city-honors-two-citizens.html

      Without almost any hesitation the driver of the black car then tries to
      speed off, but the bus driver, who sees the accident in his mirrors,
      swings his bus out diagonally to block both lanes of traffic. The silver
      car sees that the cyclist is ok as the cyclist waves him ahead as a
      signal for him to get the black car’s license plate number. This results
      in the silver car boxing the black car into the wedge of the bus until a
      police car arrives about thirty seconds later.

      At the end of the video there is a photo of the wrecked bike, which is
      also on the police blog, but after that the video shows the
      bicycle-relevant signs/markers, which are posted around the bridge. I
      would suggest not reading the comments below the YouTube video. Many of
      them are clearly posted by irate drivers, who are annoyed by the new PA
      laws. There are well over 100 pages of comments. Thankfully many of those
      are supportive of the cyclist as well. I read about twenty five pages of
      comments before being annoyed at the insensitivity and ignorance of many
      of the commenters, who clearly do not know or care about the laws and
      signage for bikes crossing that bridge.

      Ride safe,
      _TONE_
    • Cara Lin Bridgman
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 9, 2012
        This is what astounds me every single time I read the comments to some
        report in the USA news about a bike-car interaction: the palpable
        hostility towards bicycles. It is completely unbalanced. It also does
        not bode well for creating a bike friendly environment in the USA.

        CL
        who is happy to ride where bikes are consider part of the traffic, along
        with cars, trucks, buses, taxis, motorbikes, electric scooters, electric
        wheelchairs, mom-powered baby carriages,...