Re: Question: Experience with Installation Trouble - Kickback on Big Dummy?

  • Rich W
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 7, 2012
      Correction to my post. The kickback has one stop tube. Blame faulty memory and not looking to refresh my memory before posting.

      I would like to see the stop tube replaced with a stop bolt and lock nut so that the length is adjustable for individual user preference and fit variations from bike to bike.

      Rich Wood

    • gear.head@verizon.net
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 8, 2012
        I am catching this thread a bit late since I have been busy. On my 2011 BD the kick back sits slightly angled down when retracted but does not affect anything, so I see no need to change it. Also it may help keep it from bouncing a bit over bumps since the spring linkage has a better angle.

        On another note if you are putting an older kick back on a newer dummy you need to update the taco or it will not stand correctly when in use.

        Sorry for my slow 2 cents.
        Sean

        From: "Zipper" <pefozzy@...>
        Sender: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2012 12:17:53 +0000
        To: <rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com>
        ReplyTo: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [rootsradicals] Re: Question: Experience with Installation Trouble - Kickback on Big Dummy?

        I ended up cutting 5mm off of the "stop stub" on the kickback, and that did the trick for my install on a 2011 Big Dummy.

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Rich W" <astronut1001@...> wrote:

        > Per the two I am aware of typically the kickback sits with the legs tilted down considerably when installed on a Big Dummy. Mine did until I shortened the two stops on the kickback that sit against the frame. The LBS I go to also installed one on a BD with Rohloff hub and found the kickback interfering with the chain run until they raised the closed position, again by shortening the closure stops.
        >
        > At the time I bought and installed my Kickback I discussed with someone at Xtracycle making the leg closing stops adjustable length as that feature would add fit versatility and allow user adjustment preferences to be accomodated.
        >
        > Rich Wood
        >
        > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Kreps <andrew.kreps@> wrote:
        > >
        > > On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 11:41, Alec <ab@> wrote:
        > >
        > > > Xtracycle Ninjas:
        > > >
        > > > We have a customer who's having an issue installing a KickBack on a
        > > > current-model Big Dummy.
        > > >

        > > I ran a kickback for over two years. Without photos it's hard to say, but,
        > > is there any chance they're installing it backwards? And, like Rick
        > > showed, it doesn't line up parallel. If it did, it'd be a heck of a lot
        > > harder to kick down.

      • Robert Tilley
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 9, 2012
          Just a follow-up to my email here.  I installed my Kickback on my Big Dummy over the weekend & it went on easily. I think it points down a little more than it should so I may end up cutting some of the stopper off.  I haven't ridden it yet with the Kickback installed so we'll see how i goes.  I did take the suggestion that was posted last week & put some chair leg end caps on it.  The 7/8" worked great.

          Some pics are here:

          Robert Tilley
          San Diego, CA

          On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 12:27 PM, <rltilley@...> wrote:
          I just bought one as well and will install it on the new version of the Dummy (18").  Unfortunately I won't be able to get to it until Sunday.  I'll post some pics after I get it installed.

          Robert Tilley
          San Diego, CA