Re: [rootsradicals] New Member as directed to join by the Xtracycle.com guys

  • David Forbes
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 16, 2012
      On 3/16/12 9:59 AM, fourtyfiveyearoldkid wrote:
      > New member, great group. I have an SE Rip Style Single Speed Cruiser. Coaster brake. I want to add a three speed nexus rear and put an xtracycle kit on to make a killer grocery getter.
      >
      > Some say this is a no-go. Does anyone have experience with doing this? I have seen pictures on the web of people doing just this with Electra three speed nexus cruisers with coaster brakes but dont know how to get in touch with them. Any help is much appreciated!
      >
      > Christopher

      I recently put a Free Radical on a 1999 Schwinn Cruiser Six which is a
      derailleur bike. It has a 126mm rear hub width. I had to use a bit of
      finagling with the hub to get it to fit, but it wasn't a major ordeal.
      I'm an engineer, though. I seem to recall that there were some spacers
      available in the kit, but my old-man memory isn't to be trusted.

      You will want to install a real front brake to stop your bigger load. A
      coaster brake or a rear V brake isn't enough.

      --
      David Forbes, Tucson AZ