New Member as directed to join by the Xtracycle.com guys

  • fourtyfiveyearoldkid
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 16 9:59 AM
      New member, great group. I have an SE Rip Style Single Speed Cruiser. Coaster brake. I want to add a three speed nexus rear and put an xtracycle kit on to make a killer grocery getter.

      Some say this is a no-go. Does anyone have experience with doing this? I have seen pictures on the web of people doing just this with Electra three speed nexus cruisers with coaster brakes but dont know how to get in touch with them. Any help is much appreciated!

      Christopher
      Fourtyfiveyaroldkid@...
      Nashville, TN
    • rlwieneke
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 16 12:44 PM
        And why specifically did they say your choice be a "no-go"? I've already seen an xtracycle on a cruiser, riding it would be no different than it is now. If you like your cruiser, the ride won't change after the modification. If you think three speeds are sufficient, that's fine too. How is the single speed in the same area you plan to ride now? Sheldon Brown's page says the Nexus also comes in 7, 8 and 11-speed.

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "fourtyfiveyearoldkid" <fourtyfiveyearoldkid@...> wrote:

        > New member, great group. I have an SE Rip Style Single Speed Cruiser. Coaster brake. I want to add a three speed nexus rear and put an xtracycle kit on to make a killer grocery getter.
        >
        > Some say this is a no-go. Does anyone have experience with doing this? I have seen pictures on the web of people doing just this with Electra three speed nexus cruisers with coaster brakes but dont know how to get in touch with them. Any help is much appreciated!
        >
        > Christopher
        > Fourtyfiveyaroldkid@...
        > Nashville, TN

      • rayretrovox
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 16 2:28 PM
          I bought a second-hand (but barely used) Townie with a three speed Shimano nexus rear hub. I intended to fit the Xtracycle Freeradical to it. These plans came unstuck because the OLD (Over-Locknut-Dimension) of the rear axle is 126mm. The Xtraycle required a standard 135mm. So I left it as standard and ride it when cargo capacity is not required.

          With a 126mm rear dropout the Xtracycle Freeradical will not fit the bike frame and the rear wheel will not fit the Freeradical. Also the rear coaster brakes fitted to many three speed hubs may not fit right and put excess strain on the Xtracycle.

          I have also seen the Rat Fink Xtracycle online and assume this has been modified and custom fitted, as the three speed Electra Rat Fink also has a 126mm O.L.D. rear hub.

          My cousin has a Rat Fink which I took on few rides. I found it quite awkward and it gave me a sore bum. This surprised me because I thought it would be like a townie. If I was seven feet tall it may be a better fit.
        • David Forbes
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 16 8:12 PM
            On 3/16/12 9:59 AM, fourtyfiveyearoldkid wrote:
            > New member, great group. I have an SE Rip Style Single Speed Cruiser. Coaster brake. I want to add a three speed nexus rear and put an xtracycle kit on to make a killer grocery getter.
            >
            > Some say this is a no-go. Does anyone have experience with doing this? I have seen pictures on the web of people doing just this with Electra three speed nexus cruisers with coaster brakes but dont know how to get in touch with them. Any help is much appreciated!
            >
            > Christopher

            I recently put a Free Radical on a 1999 Schwinn Cruiser Six which is a
            derailleur bike. It has a 126mm rear hub width. I had to use a bit of
            finagling with the hub to get it to fit, but it wasn't a major ordeal.
            I'm an engineer, though. I seem to recall that there were some spacers
            available in the kit, but my old-man memory isn't to be trusted.

            You will want to install a real front brake to stop your bigger load. A
            coaster brake or a rear V brake isn't enough.

            --
            David Forbes, Tucson AZ