Re: [rootsradicals] recommended tires for an ex-road bike turned Xtracycle?

  • David Backeberg
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 13, 2012
      On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 11:30 AM, megbarry <m_eisenhauer@...> wrote:

      > My Xtracycle (mostly carries kids + groceries/misc. cargo) is built on an aluminum road bike frame. I need new tires, and I'm wondering if there is anything in particular you folks would recommend?
      >
      > In the front I have clearance for 700x25 max. In the rear I run do a fatter (typical hybrid) tire. My

      You do not say what is preventing a fatter tire in the front, but you
      can probably fix it by changing the front fork to a fork that supports
      cantilever / v-brakes. Such forks usually also have wide tire
      clearance. You could totally go the used route for this, and maybe go
      digging at the local bike shop or bike coop if such a thing exists in
      your area.

      If you can only fit a 25c tire, you probably also cannot fit a fender;
      you could probably get a fender if you change your fork. The wider
      tire you can fit, the nicer your ride is going to be over bumps / when
      carrying cargo.
    • megbarry
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 14, 2012
        You're right: it's just the fork that prevents it. But a skinny tire up front is ok with me, and although a fender would be nice, I've gotten away without it so far. Maybe I'll change my mind at some point. ;)

        I like the Vittoria Randonneurs suggestion! Thanks!

        Meg.