Re: Pictures posted of my Single Speed

  • Rick
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 11 11:05 AM
      I totally support the SS action on a longtail, but can only endorse it on the flats. I am in Heidelberg Germany and ran around just fine with a SS setup in town, but then I attempted to climb the hills outside of town and made 5 kilometeres into the ride when I snapped my chain. I used a Surly singleator with a 19t on the back and 32t forward, as I expected to be climbing some hills. This is also the usual setup for my MTB 29r. I did a lot of spinning in town though.

      Since then, I have ran it as a 1X9.

      Rick

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey" <jeffrey_hiroshima@...> wrote:

      > Have a peek and let me know what you think.
      >
      > Going to gear down a bit. Currently setup as a 50x20T but when towing a trailer, its pretty tough. Going to go with a 42x18 and then see how it goes.
      >
      > Anyone have to put in a custom chain-stay bridge on your X? Even though I have horizontal dropouts, the bridge just barely fits the free radical. Thinking of getting a frame builder to re-braze a new bridge in a bit further back so I can ditch my chain tensioner.
      >
      > Cheers all

    • Neil Travers
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 12 3:33 AM
        I've not got practical experience, but 2 kids -one front, one back - seems completely normal practise in The Netherlands on a standard bike.

        Neil.

        On 9 March 2012 00:35, wjemco <wjeremycohen@...> wrote:

        Have you ridden a lot with a kid on the back AND the kid on the front with an iBert? I am thinking of adding the ibert to my x to let me use the x for both kids. Right now, when I haul both kids (kindergartner and 1 year old) I switch bikes and attach a trailer, but I would rather get them both on the x as I have come to love the stability of the x opposed to the drag and wobble of the trailer.

        Any suggestions for the ibert/passenger on back combo?

      • gear.head@verizon.net
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 12 10:15 AM
          Before going to a longtail I did a lot of miles with my 2 boys. We used a weeride upfront and tag a long out back. Once they got bigger we moved to a tandem w/stoker pedals and the tag a long. Both worked great. Now I have stoker bars on my dummy with bmx buddies pegs.

          Sean

          From: Neil Travers <neil.travers+yg@...>
          Sender: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 10:33:25 +0000