Re: Pictures posted of my Single Speed

  • Bruce Alan Wilson
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 2, 2012
      I take it that where you live is flat as a pancake?  I can't imagine trying to take any sort of load up even a moderate hill on a singlespeed.  Gears were invented for a reason.

    • Jeffrey
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 2, 2012
        Where I ride my SS X is indeed flat as a pancake. Since its my bike-minivan the most weight it sees is ~ 125 pounds (35 for the kid and 90 for the bags... and that having 1/2 of the weight is in the burley so that its not all riding on the rear axle.

        with a 50x20 its not too bad getting it started, and perfect when keeping it going. But with 2 kids in tow (soon to be 3 when I toss my 7 month-old into the front I-Bert when she is a bit older).... I think I will want easier gears and I won't be carrying groceries when I have all 3.

        I have 3 other bikes, and those are used for rides on my own... two of which are sub 17 pound bikes... so I don't mind having a bike thats the rough size and weight of a tank.

        When its just my daugher and I, with no burley, the 50x20 gear is sweet.
        I don't have a need to go too fast since I don't want her falling off the deck at 25mph.....

        Add to that, since its the family bike, I honestly don't see me traveling over 10 miles round trip on the thing ever...

        But gears... they have crossed my mind when I hit freeway overpasses :-(

        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 2, 2012
          I am not a big guy, and the thought of breaking a steel handlebar is unfathomable. My road to the market is about 2 miles and neither presents any hills. Fully loaded, alone, with a trailer, I can fit 9 bags of groceries (4 in the side bags, 4-5 in the trailer).

          No problems with the gear ratio I am using, but agree. Throw in a hill and I agree, I would be toast.

          > It's a matter of physics -- a large enough load, and you will simply be incapable of getting the bike up a hill. You can only stand so-hard on the pedals, and you can only pull so hard on the handlebars (they can break in half -- I have done it twice myself -- though steel bars are an option).
          >
          > David
          >
          > On 2012-03-02, at 7:43 AM, Mike wrote:
          > > Of course xtracycle warns against the use of SS and coaster brakes and FG and bright lights and the eating of food after midnight but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be attempted. I think you have inspired me, sir, to get out to my garage and start setting up that spare X I have. Good on ya!

        • Jeffrey
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 2, 2012
            Thanks for the note. I run front and rear v-brakes and if I had not already purchased rim-brake specific hubs, I would have run discs....

            I would never imagine doing an Xtra in FG mode. I tried FG for a year or so and never got the hang of it nor liked it.

            And speaking of bright lights... my light setup currently shoots out about 2000 lummens out the front.... bright lights? Check :-) I would rather look like a UFO then a bloddy smear on the side of the road :-)

          • rwieneke@swbell.net
            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 2, 2012
              Jeffrey, do you have pictures of your lights posted anywhere?

              --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey" <jeffrey_hiroshima@...> wrote:

              > Thanks for the note. I run front and rear v-brakes and if I had not already purchased rim-brake specific hubs, I would have run discs....
              >
              > I would never imagine doing an Xtra in FG mode. I tried FG for a year or so and never got the hang of it nor liked it.
              >
              > And speaking of bright lights... my light setup currently shoots out about 2000 lummens out the front.... bright lights? Check :-) I would rather look like a UFO then a bloddy smear on the side of the road :-)
              >

              > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Mike <kest918@> wrote:
              > >
              > > That's a really nice looking set up. I've never actually seen someone with an X single speed. I've thought about it many times as I had to learn how to set up and use gears when I bought my first X. Previous to that it had been all SS and Fg. Of course xtracycle warns against the use of SS and coaster brakes and FG and bright lights and the eating of food after midnight but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be attempted. I think you have inspired me, sir, to get out to my garage and start setting up that spare X I have. Good on ya!

            • Steve Fuller
              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 4, 2012
                To me, that seems like an excessive amount of lumens shooting out the front, especially if not well directed. There is such a thing as too much light (IMO)

                Steve

                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 5, 2012
                  I don't have any pics, but I can shoot some if folks want. Do you want pics of what the lights look like on the bars/lid or shots of the street?

                  As far as what I run:
                  I use the MS-1600 (4-LED XP-G light head)
                  http://www.geomangear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4_41&products_id=311&zenid=4naueo3sgu88s4fppbvo2jdvf0

                  I use the MS-1000 (1-LED XML light head)
                  http://www.geomangear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4_41&products_id=314

                  I then also use a Dinotte 400L on the helmet
                  http://store.dinottelighting.com/400l-plus-headlight-p90.aspx

                  I also have two extra MS-900's to light up the ground around me or whatever if needed. I keep backup lights if others want to do night rides with me so I always have spare stuff.

                  The MS-1600 is a super floody light and is pointed in the very near-field. The MS-1000 (XML) light is about as pointy as a single-light head bike-specific light can be and is pointed out towards the 30-40 feet in front of me to help with speed. The 400L is on the helmet so obviously points where I turn and helps with corners and spotting obsticles. The 400L is completely washed out in the near field and useless close-up with the other lights on.

                  The MS-1600 pushes out about 1000 lumens
                  The MS-900 pushes out about 600 lumens
                  the 400L pusehes out about 250 lumens

                  (Clearly all are over-rated in terms of advertised lumens)

                  I think this setup is ideal, and I use the exact same setup on night MTB rides as well as fast road night rides. I do turn down the MS-1600 to Med-High on the road however.

                  On the road (on my road bike) I average around 20-21mph and never outrun my lights, even when sprinting. On the MTB the throw above the horrizon is good, on the road, I agree they can be a bit bright for oncoming cars.... and when I see a bike or pedestrian, I turn off the big lights to not blow their night vision.

                  Yes, I guess you can have too much light, but everyone's dial is set a bit differently and coming off this much light for fast road rides, I have a hard time running with anything less even when putzing around on the Xtra. On my both my cars, I run 55w HID's in my lows and 55w HID's in my fogs... so I am equally as annoying on my bike as I am in my car. I don't descriminate.

                  -Jeff

                  --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Steve Fuller <sfuller@...> wrote:

                  > To me, that seems like an excessive amount of lumens shooting out the front, especially if not well directed. There is such a thing as too much light (IMO)
                  >
                  > Steve
                  >
                  > On Mar 2, 2012, at 3:48 PM, rwieneke@... wrote:
                  >
                  > > Jeffrey, do you have pictures of your lights posted anywhere?
                  > >
                  > > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey" <jeffrey_hiroshima@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Thanks for the note. I run front and rear v-brakes and if I had not already purchased rim-brake specific hubs, I would have run discs....
                  > > >
                  > > > I would never imagine doing an Xtra in FG mode. I tried FG for a year or so and never got the hang of it nor liked it.
                  > > >
                  > > > And speaking of bright lights... my light setup currently shoots out about 2000 lummens out the front.... bright lights? Check :-) I would rather look like a UFO then a bloddy smear on the side of the road :-)

                • wjemco
                  Message 8 of 18 , Mar 8, 2012
                    Have you ridden a lot with a kid on the back AND the kid on the front with an iBert? I am thinking of adding the ibert to my x to let me use the x for both kids. Right now, when I haul both kids (kindergartner and 1 year old) I switch bikes and attach a trailer, but I would rather get them both on the x as I have come to love the stability of the x opposed to the drag and wobble of the trailer.

                    Any suggestions for the ibert/passenger on back combo?

                    Thanks,

                    Jemco

                    --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey" <jeffrey_hiroshima@...> wrote:

                    > Where I ride my SS X is indeed flat as a pancake. Since its my bike-minivan the most weight it sees is ~ 125 pounds (35 for the kid and 90 for the bags... and that having 1/2 of the weight is in the burley so that its not all riding on the rear axle.
                    >
                    > with a 50x20 its not too bad getting it started, and perfect when keeping it going. But with 2 kids in tow (soon to be 3 when I toss my 7 month-old into the front I-Bert when she is a bit older).... I think I will want easier gears and I won't be carrying groceries when I have all 3.
                    >
                    > I have 3 other bikes, and those are used for rides on my own... two of which are sub 17 pound bikes... so I don't mind having a bike thats the rough size and weight of a tank.
                    >
                    > When its just my daugher and I, with no burley, the 50x20 gear is sweet.
                    > I don't have a need to go too fast since I don't want her falling off the deck at 25mph.....
                    >
                    > Add to that, since its the family bike, I honestly don't see me traveling over 10 miles round trip on the thing ever...
                    >
                    > But gears... they have crossed my mind when I hit freeway overpasses :-(
                    >

                    > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Alan Wilson" <bruce_alan_wilson@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I take it that where you live is flat as a pancake? I can't imagine trying to take any sort of load up even a moderate hill on a singlespeed. Gears were invented for a reason.

                  • David Backeberg
                    Message 9 of 18 , Mar 8, 2012
                      On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 7:35 PM, wjemco <wjeremycohen@...> wrote:

                      > Have you ridden a lot with a kid on the back AND the kid on the front with an iBert? I am thinking of adding the ibert to my x to let me use the x for both kids. Right now, when I haul both kids (kindergartner and 1 year old) I switch bikes and attach a trailer, but I would rather get them both on the x as I have come to love the stability of the x opposed to the drag and wobble of the trailer.
                      >
                      > Any suggestions for the ibert/passenger on back combo?

                      There's obviously the peapod for the 1 yo, and I now have a second
                      peapod, so that's my solution for kid two. But I've seen a few iberts
                      around town, and they look pretty cool. There's a nice review of front
                      seats here:

                      http://totcycle.com/blog/all-about-front-child-bike-seats.html
                    • Richard Monfries
                      Message 10 of 18 , Mar 8, 2012
                        Hi Guys

                        New to the forum, and your discussion was the first to land in my inbox: couldn't help noticing the main issue being carrying 2 kids on an X, apart from whether you ride with 1 or 21 gears.

                        I'm not very fit, but I can haul 2 kids (plus me) on my X with very little effort. There is some wobble/flex, but that's part of the whole Free Rad thing - not having the spare cash to fork out for a Big Dummy and all.

                        I have killed a rear wheel in the process, but that was the original wheel that came with the well-worn EBay bike The Blobinnator is based on. Now The Blob has an Alex wide profile 32mm rim on the back.

                        Anyway, Hi, and I've written a post on the fun of hauling kids on an X here: http://the3rdquarter.com/2011/11/08/cargobike-v-car-evidence-riderlog-bicycle_network/

                        All the best

                        Richard

                        Message 11 of 18 , Mar 9, 2012
                          Richard--Thanks for the reply. My issue isn't carrying two people on the back (I often have the kid and my wife on the back) but really about stability/wobble/flex/anxiety about carrying the normal kid on the back and the new kid (only 1, so she can't hold on yet) on the front. everything I have read about the ibert sounds great, but rarely are the testimonials from someone already hauling an extra 40+ pounds of kid around on the back.

                          Jeremy

                          Message 12 of 18 , Mar 9, 2012
                            hey Jeremy.

                            I moved my eldest to the rear deck and my middle kid to the burley. My youngest is 8months old so is not quite ready for the ibert. I would say from having used the I Bert for both my kids, you have to have a firm grip on the bike when loadin them and I'm not totally sure how things will handle once I have 3 on the bike. My oldest is responsible so will stay still on the deck. If you have a wiggle worm on the deck it will make it all the worse with 25 pounds on your handlebars.

                            Dismounting becomes an issue too. You can't swing your leg back and over unless your kid gets off first. And with an I-bert you don't have much space to bring your leg over the top tube. If you have a donor bike that fit you well that tip tube is pretty high.

                            So I can't give you real world usage feedback. But having used the ibert for 4 years I can tell you it's great but add 1 on the deck and things will get trickey.

                            I ride clipless also so we will have to see how this goes. Sorry this is not more what you were looking for.
                          • Rick
                            Message 13 of 18 , Mar 11, 2012
                              I totally support the SS action on a longtail, but can only endorse it on the flats. I am in Heidelberg Germany and ran around just fine with a SS setup in town, but then I attempted to climb the hills outside of town and made 5 kilometeres into the ride when I snapped my chain. I used a Surly singleator with a 19t on the back and 32t forward, as I expected to be climbing some hills. This is also the usual setup for my MTB 29r. I did a lot of spinning in town though.

                              Since then, I have ran it as a 1X9.

                              Rick

                              --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey" <jeffrey_hiroshima@...> wrote:

                              > Have a peek and let me know what you think.
                              >
                              > Going to gear down a bit. Currently setup as a 50x20T but when towing a trailer, its pretty tough. Going to go with a 42x18 and then see how it goes.
                              >
                              > Anyone have to put in a custom chain-stay bridge on your X? Even though I have horizontal dropouts, the bridge just barely fits the free radical. Thinking of getting a frame builder to re-braze a new bridge in a bit further back so I can ditch my chain tensioner.
                              >
                              > Cheers all

                            • Neil Travers
                              Message 14 of 18 , Mar 12, 2012
                                I've not got practical experience, but 2 kids -one front, one back - seems completely normal practise in The Netherlands on a standard bike.

                                Neil.

                              • gear.head@verizon.net
                                Message 15 of 18 , Mar 12, 2012
                                  Before going to a longtail I did a lot of miles with my 2 boys. We used a weeride upfront and tag a long out back. Once they got bigger we moved to a tandem w/stoker pedals and the tag a long. Both worked great. Now I have stoker bars on my dummy with bmx buddies pegs.

                                  Sean

                                  From: Neil Travers <neil.travers+yg@...>
                                  Sender: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
                                  Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 10:33:25 +0000