New Member, New Bike!

  • Vince
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 28, 2012

      Like most people here I spent months doing research on cargo bikes and decided on getting an Xtracycle kit, but a chance conversation with a local shop owner (and friend) lead me to purchase a Sun Atlas Cargo (J&B distributors) for $549.99 (no special deal, regular price). While this is no Big Dummy or Mundo, it is much less expensive and with a little attention to detail and simple mechanical skills; a fine long-tail cargo bike "semi-kit."

      I rode the bike assembled and adjusted out of the box and it rode very well with no stability, control, drivetrain or braking issues. While I do not have much time on converted long-tails, the Atlas seems stouter than my friends Rockhopper converted Xtracycle, she concurred . I had no problems adapting to the length or weight, both disappeared as I rode it. The no-name v-brakes were a little "spongy," I think from the cheap levers. The finish is above average for a low/mid-grade chinese bike. The Shimano Tourney driveline is adequate for now but will be upgraded in the future. Overall, it feels of higher quality than Wally World, Department or "Big Box" store bikes.

      I am somewhat mechanically inclined and have already installed 185mm Avid BB7 discs F&R, an Xtracycle Hoodie, replaced the handlebars and replaced the v-rack quick-releases. The only real issue I had during the upgrades was fitting the front disc caliper, the mount was not parallel to the disc plane so a bit of filing and fitting was required to dial-in the caliper. The Handlebar cross-brace was welded crooked and bugged me so I swapped it out of a wider BMX handle bar with a shorter stem. The quick-release system seemed bulkier and less elegant than "whatchamacollars." As I looked at the clamps, I saw they were made from seat-post clamps that use keyed seat-binder bolts, simplicity itself, 24mm in case you were wondering.

      I now have about 20 miles on the "improved" Atlas, the increased braking and control has changed my fundamental view of the bike, this is a serious machine for serious work, I am looking forward to Spring riding on my new favorite bike!

      If anyone is from the Tacoma area, I would be glad to share test rides...

      Vince

    • sh8knj8kster
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 28, 2012
        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Vince" <vintagemotorad@...> wrote:

        > Like most people here I spent months doing research on cargo bikes and
        > decided on getting an Xtracycle kit, but a chance conversation with a
        > local shop owner (and friend) lead me to purchase a Sun Atlas Cargo (J&B
        > distributors) for $549.99 (no special deal, regular price). While this
        > is no Big Dummy or Mundo, it is much less expensive and with a little
        > attention to detail and simple mechanical skills; a fine long-tail cargo
        > bike "semi-kit."
        >

        > I rode the bike assembled and adjusted out of the box and it rode very
        > well with no stability, control, drivetrain or braking issues. While I
        > do not have much time on converted long-tails, the Atlas seems stouter
        > than my friends Rockhopper converted Xtracycle, she concurred . I had no
        > problems adapting to the length or weight, both disappeared as I rode
        > it. The no-name v-brakes were a little "spongy," I think from
        > the cheap levers. The finish is above average for a low/mid-grade
        > chinese bike. The Shimano Tourney driveline is adequate for now but will
        > be upgraded in the future. Overall, it feels of higher quality than
        > Wally World, Department or "Big Box" store bikes.
        >

        > I am somewhat mechanically inclined and have already installed 185mm
        > Avid BB7 discs F&R, an Xtracycle Hoodie, replaced the handlebars and
        > replaced the v-rack quick-releases. The only real issue I had during the
        > upgrades was fitting the front disc caliper, the mount was not parallel
        > to the disc plane so a bit of filing and fitting was required to dial-in
        > the caliper. The Handlebar cross-brace was welded crooked and bugged me
        > so I swapped it out of a wider BMX handle bar with a shorter stem. The
        > quick-release system seemed bulkier and less elegant than
        > "whatchamacollars." As I looked at the clamps, I saw they were
        > made from seat-post clamps that use keyed seat-binder bolts, simplicity
        > itself, 24mm in case you were wondering.
        >

        > I now have about 20 miles on the "improved" Atlas, the increased
        > braking and control has changed my fundamental view of the bike, this is
        > a serious machine for serious work, I am looking forward to Spring
        > riding on my new favorite bike!
        >

        > If anyone is from the Tacoma area, I would be glad to share test
        > rides...
        >

        > Vince

        ~~~Sou8nds like a nice bike Vince...do you have any pics?

        Best,

        Jake
        Reddick Fla.
        "Confidence is the feeling you have before you understand the situation."

        http://www.shakinjake.blogspot.com/
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/26137108@N04/
      • Vince
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 29, 2012
          > ~~~Sou8nds like a nice bike Vince...do you have any pics?
          >

          > Best,
          >

          > Jake
          > Reddick Fla.
          > "Confidence is the feeling you have before you understand the situation."

          Hi Jake, I uploaded some to the "Photos" area, the album is called," Vince's Atlas" If you would like to see certain views, tell me and I will upload them to that album...

          V.
        • Andrew Kreps
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 29, 2012
            On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 16:17, Vince <vintagemotorad@...> wrote:

            While this is no Big Dummy or Mundo, it is much less expensive and with a little attention to detail and simple mechanical skills; a fine long-tail cargo bike "semi-kit."

            I think you'll find the sentiment around here to be, largely, 'if it works for you, great!'   I'm glad to hear you got the bike to where you want it, and I find it interesting there there are some fit & finish issues with the machine. Quantifying that and whether or not it's worth the money you saved is really important.

            Enjoy the ride, and ride it lots.  If you ever end up in Portland, drop me a line and you can ride my Dummy anytime.

          • A
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 1, 2012
              -

              > Hi Jake, I uploaded some to the "Photos" area, the album is called," Vince's Atlas" If you would like to see certain views, tell me and I will upload them to that album...
              >
              > V.

              Hi Vince
              Welcome and any chance you have some closeup photos of the quick release collar on racks?
              ta
              Andy
            • Vince
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 1, 2012
                Hi Andy, I just uploaded some pictures of the QR collars to my photo album Vince's Atlas, feel free to ask for any other pictures.
                V.

                --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "A" <andyboote@...> wrote:

                > -
                > >
                > > Hi Jake, I uploaded some to the "Photos" area, the album is called," Vince's Atlas" If you would like to see certain views, tell me and I will upload them to that album...
                > >
                > > V.
                > >
                > Hi Vince
                > Welcome and any chance you have some closeup photos of the quick release collar on racks?
                > ta
                > Andy

              • Vince
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 1, 2012
                  Hi Andrew, Thanks for the invitation, I am routinely down in Portland to visit Powell's.

                  The fit and finish issues are truly minor, overall I would rate the workmanship on par with products costing much more. I have done more involved fitting on new "high-end" bikes bought by friends than I did on this one. Perhaps my brevity made the fitting seem more involved that it was. The handlebar is merely aesthetic and the front caliper mount adaptor took all of 5 minutes of filing to correct the alignment. You're are right about quantifying the reality of the machine with the intended personal outcome. Even within my short experience on cargo bikes, I believe the Atlas to be an outstanding value, time will tell.

                  V.