Re: [rootsradicals] xc big dummy build

  • Devian Gilbert
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 25, 2012
      I've used CrossMax since they came out in tubeless.  over the years have gone thru a few sets.  they are good wheels no doubt.

      the killer is when you end up loading the BD and you happen to have an extra 100lbs on the bike, not that its like that every day.

      I've gone thru 3 wheelsets between an XtraCycle and the BD.
      currently I'm on a set of WTB LaserDisc DH, 36H with XT hubs.  I should have started on this wheelset from the get go.

      however... lately, I start to look at used sets of CrossMax.

      I'll be curious to hear how they hold up, and what your daily cargo use is.

      d-
      On Feb 25, 2012, at 7:57 PM, gear.head@... wrote:

      I have run those wheels on my mountain bike and pounded them pretty hard. They need some intermittent truing but for the cost they are a great value. And if you do wreck them the investment is not that large.
      Sean

      From: Andrew Kreps <andrew.kreps@...>
      Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 17:31:54 -0800
      Subject: Re: [rootsradicals] xc big dummy build

      On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 16:22, A <andyboote@...> wrote:

      Hi everyone
      I recently built up a BD using some choice xc bits - so I can give it a razz around the bush anytime (maybe even a race or two).

      6" disc brakes are more than enough on Big Dummy until you start hauling loads downhill.  Everything else will do just fine.  However, if you're anything like me, you can treat those XC wheels as disposable after about 1,000 miles.  Are they 24 spoke wheels?  If so, maybe less than 1k.