xc big dummy build

  • A
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 23, 2012
      Hi everyone
      I recently built up a BD using some choice xc bits - so I can give it a razz around the bush anytime (maybe even a race or two). Its basically a full shimano XT groupo with the newest model disc brakes. They are only 6 inch and have so much stopping power that the front fork vibrates if you really yank on them. They come with a 1700mm long rear cable which is just right for the BD, but i have to shorten the front cable to suit. The wheelset is mavic crosstrail tubeless and not really suitable for hauling heavy loads but pretty versatile. Anyway I have uploaded a few pics for those who are interested.
      Andy

    • Andrew Kreps
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 24, 2012
        On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 16:22, A <andyboote@...> wrote:
        Hi everyone
        I recently built up a BD using some choice xc bits - so I can give it a razz around the bush anytime (maybe even a race or two).

        6" disc brakes are more than enough on Big Dummy until you start hauling loads downhill.  Everything else will do just fine.  However, if you're anything like me, you can treat those XC wheels as disposable after about 1,000 miles.  Are they 24 spoke wheels?  If so, maybe less than 1k.
      • Devian Gilbert
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 24, 2012
          thats a cool build.
          depends on how you ride it.
          there's a good chance that it will last for some time.

          the killer will be riding it on a regular basis with too much weight.

          I have to admit, that I've been pondering CrossMax on my BD too.

          d-

        • gear.head@verizon.net
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 25, 2012
            I have run those wheels on my mountain bike and pounded them pretty hard. They need some intermittent truing but for the cost they are a great value. And if you do wreck them the investment is not that large.
            Sean

            From: Andrew Kreps <andrew.kreps@...>
            Sender: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 17:31:54 -0800
            To: <rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com>
            ReplyTo: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
            Subject: Re: [rootsradicals] xc big dummy build

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 25, 2012
              I've used CrossMax since they came out in tubeless.  over the years have gone thru a few sets.  they are good wheels no doubt.

              the killer is when you end up loading the BD and you happen to have an extra 100lbs on the bike, not that its like that every day.

              I've gone thru 3 wheelsets between an XtraCycle and the BD.
              currently I'm on a set of WTB LaserDisc DH, 36H with XT hubs.  I should have started on this wheelset from the get go.

              however... lately, I start to look at used sets of CrossMax.

              I'll be curious to hear how they hold up, and what your daily cargo use is.

              d-