Re: [rootsradicals] Re: Cargo pike

  • Douglas Botma
    Message 1 of 29 , Feb 23, 2012
      My Xtracycle is my truck,I regularly max it's capacity by volume and enough times with weight that I'm looking into a stoked Big Dummy or Surly "Bill" trailer

      On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 9:31 AM, Troy <troysmith80@...> wrote:

      You're right. That wasn't the most brilliant thing for me to say, especially here! It's true at some point though, there is a limit to what one can carry on a bicycle, although that limit is much greater than most would suspect.

      What my intention was in saying that was simply that i think that Mr Garvey may be best served by not over-thinking or over-designing his cargo solution for his light motorcycle, since if we're honest, I'm sure _most_ of us carry relatively little cargo _most_ of the time. That certainly is the case with me. There are occasional heavy/large loads, but most of the time i'm only using 1/2 or less of my xtracycle capacity by volume (even less usually by weight).

      I'm probably over-generalizing though, and assuming everyone is just like me, which of course is not the case!

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Cara Lin Bridgman <shokulan@...> wrote:

      > For some of us, our xtracycle IS the truck. And before we got the
      > xtracycle, our motorbike was the truck.
      >
      > CL
      > who has moved house many times with just a 90 cc motorbike.
      >
      > Troy wrote:
      > > If you plan to haul building supplies or something, then use a truck.

    • Devian Gilbert
      Message 2 of 29 , Feb 23, 2012
        panniers and the like are positioned off of center.
        by design they hang off of a frame/rack of some sort.
        which gives opportunity for things to sway
        which gives you the opportunity to cinch things down accordingly.

        a platform design, simply gives cargo a table to rest on.

        I can see the lure of wanting to use a sling load on a motorbike, but then I'd start to wonder.
        as if... perhaps a standard platform and tied down duffle bag could be the more secure option.

        d-
        On Feb 23, 2012, at 8:18 AM, Vik Banerjee wrote:

        CETMA builds Dutch "style" cargo bikes in Oregon. They aren't cheap, but they are pretty cool.

        safe riding,

        On 2012-02-23, at 8:14 AM, Mark Garvey wrote:

        Quite honesttly my whole premise was based on the idea that I really find the xtracycle concept a very practical and useful solution to the entire cargo carrying dilemma for those of us who prefer two wheel transportation.   I was mostly dreaming that I could find a cargo solution for my motorcycle that is as useful and practical as the xtracycle/longbike solution is for bicycles.
        The other idea is the bakfiets design, which I also like but no one makes something like that in the US and more critically, affordable!   The X is the best solution for two wheel cargo that I have found.  I was just thinking of applications in otherareas.  I will just keep on the way I have been.  I do plan on using my X a lot more however.

        On Feb 23, 2012 9:32 AM, "Troy" <troysmith80@...> wrote:
        You're right. That wasn't the most brilliant thing for me to say, especially here! It's true at some point though, there is a limit to what one can carry on a bicycle, although that limit is much greater than most would suspect.

        What my intention was in saying that was simply that i think that Mr Garvey may be best served by not over-thinking or over-designing his cargo solution for his light motorcycle, since if we're honest, I'm sure _most_ of us carry relatively little cargo _most_ of the time. That certainly is the case with me. There are occasional heavy/large loads, but most of the time i'm only using 1/2 or less of my xtracycle capacity by volume (even less usually by weight).

        I'm probably over-generalizing though, and assuming everyone is just like me, which of course is not the case!

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Cara Lin Bridgman <shokulan@...> wrote:

        > For some of us, our xtracycle IS the truck.  And before we got the
        > xtracycle, our motorbike was the truck.
        >
        > CL
        > who has moved house many times with just a 90 cc motorbike.
        >
        > Troy wrote:
        > > If you plan to haul building supplies or something, then use a truck.

        <*> Your email settings:
           Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
           (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
           rootsradicals-digest@yahoogroups.com

           http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Steven Krall
        Message 3 of 29 , Feb 23, 2012
          Tom's site has alot of interesting ideas using old bikes to make a new cargo bike at a pretty reasonable price or do it yourself plans.   Mostly Dutch style.

          Steve

          On 2012-02-23, at 8:14 AM, Mark Garvey wrote:

          Quite honesttly my whole premise was based on the idea that I really find the xtracycle concept a very practical and useful solution to the entire cargo carrying dilemma for those of us who prefer two wheel transportation.   I was mostly dreaming that I could find a cargo solution for my motorcycle that is as useful and practical as the xtracycle/longbike solution is for bicycles.
          The other idea is the bakfiets design, which I also like but no one makes something like that in the US and more critically, affordable!   The X is the best solution for two wheel cargo that I have found.  I was just thinking of applications in otherareas.  I will just keep on the way I have been.  I do plan on using my X a lot more however.
          On Feb 23, 2012 9:32 AM, "Troy" <troysmith80@...> wrote:
          You're right. That wasn't the most brilliant thing for me to say, especially here! It's true at some point though, there is a limit to what one can carry on a bicycle, although that limit is much greater than most would suspect.

          What my intention was in saying that was simply that i think that Mr Garvey may be best served by not over-thinking or over-designing his cargo solution for his light motorcycle, since if we're honest, I'm sure _most_ of us carry relatively little cargo _most_ of the time. That certainly is the case with me. There are occasional heavy/large loads, but most of the time i'm only using 1/2 or less of my xtracycle capacity by volume (even less usually by weight).

          I'm probably over-generalizing though, and assuming everyone is just like me, which of course is not the case!

          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Cara Lin Bridgman <shokulan@...> wrote:

          > For some of us, our xtracycle IS the truck.  And before we got the
          > xtracycle, our motorbike was the truck.
          >
          > CL
          > who has moved house many times with just a 90 cc motorbike.
          >
          > Troy wrote:
          > > If you plan to haul building supplies or something, then use a truck.

          <*> Your email settings:
             Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
             (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
             rootsradicals-digest@yahoogroups.com

             http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Mickyle
          Message 4 of 29 , Feb 24, 2012
            Just a heads up Douglas that the Stokemonkey has been out of production since October.  Right around the time that I was finally ready to pony up for a mid-drive motor.  I went with the only other mid-drive I knew of, then or now, the Mdrive by Urban Commuter Solutions.  But it's made specifically for the Yuba Mundo.......which works out nicely for me as I'd already decided on the Mundo (and after two months, love it!)  As for my Mdrive, it arrived yesterday, looks great, and I am looking forward to the challenge of installing it.

            BTW, the Mundo is rated to carry in total a third of a ton!  (660 lbs., officially, but what's another six and two/thirds pounds among friends?)   ~   Mickyle

            Posted by: "Douglas Botma" dbotma2@...   glamorousglennix

            Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:19 am (PST)

            My Xtracycle is my truck,I regularly max it's capacity by volume and enough
            times with weight that I'm looking into a stoked Big Dummy or Surly "Bill"
            trailer

          • TIM_H
            Message 5 of 29 , Feb 26, 2012
              A top notch electric drive system is the eco-speed,tons of power and speed.Basically you choose how much power and speed you want.

              One large catch though,the eco-speed is expensive.

              http://www.ecospeed.com/index.html