Re: [rootsradicals] Re: Cargo pike

  • David Forbes
    Message 1 of 29 , Feb 21, 2012
      On 2/21/2012 2:44 PM, Mark Garvey wrote:
      > I have a Curries drive on my X right now. Works well. But needs
      > batteries. SLA sucks. Heavy, inefficient. And heavy. Did I mention
      > heavy? I know a guy who builds very nice gas assist trimester. I tried one
      > and really liked it. A small gas engine has possibilities but I would
      > really want to have a great muffler on it

      People have been working on the use of hobby R/C LiPo batteries instead of SLA
      for e-bikes. There's an e-bike forum with discussion of this. HobbyKing sells
      the batteries.

      I have a dozen 5AH 11.1V packs that cost $25 each, weigh 1 lb and make up to 100
      Amps. They charge quickly as well. Worth considering.

      --
      David Forbes, Tucson, AZ
    • Cara Lin Bridgman
      Message 2 of 29 , Feb 22, 2012
        For some of us, our xtracycle IS the truck. And before we got the
        xtracycle, our motorbike was the truck.

        CL
        who has moved house many times with just a 90 cc motorbike.

        Troy wrote:
        > If you plan to haul building supplies or something, then use a truck.
      • Mark Garvey
        Message 3 of 29 , Feb 22, 2012

          There is no doubt that the xtracycle is the greatest cargo carrier in the two wheel world.  My problem is distance.  And of course the winter.  Not bad this year.  But we often have sub zero temps and snow two ft deep.    Maybe I am lazy but riding Several miles for a gig is not the way right now.  But it can work and has in the past.  I love my x.

          Troy wrote:
          > If you plan to haul building supplies or something, then use a truck.

          <*> Your email settings:
             Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
             (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
             rootsradicals-digest@yahoogroups.com

             http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • rootsradicals-owner@yahoogroups.com
          Message 4 of 29 , Feb 22, 2012
            Thanks for the inspiration folks:

            http://everydayadventurers.com/2012/02/longtail-standard-makes-everything-more-useful/

            -Nate

            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Mark Garvey <lazybee45@...> wrote:

            > There is no doubt that the xtracycle is the greatest cargo carrier in the
            > two wheel world. My problem is distance. And of course the winter. Not
            > bad this year. But we often have sub zero temps and snow two ft deep.
            > Maybe I am lazy but riding Several miles for a gig is not the way right
            > now. But it can work and has in the past. I love my x.
            > On Feb 22, 2012 5:56 AM, "Cara Lin Bridgman" <shokulan@...> wrote:
            >
            > > For some of us, our xtracycle IS the truck. And before we got the
            > > xtracycle, our motorbike was the truck.
            > >
            > > CL
            > > who has moved house many times with just a 90 cc motorbike.
            > >
            > > Troy wrote:
            > > > If you plan to haul building supplies or something, then use a truck.

          • Pete B
            Message 5 of 29 , Feb 22, 2012
              Love it....

              Message 6 of 29 , Feb 23, 2012
                Hilarious! Especially the Storm Trooper...

                CL

                Message 7 of 29 , Feb 23, 2012
                  Here's a few examples of Taiwan's cargo motorbikes. Excepting the
                  wheelchairs, all vehicles here are 50-250 cc.
                  <http://megaview.com.tw/~caralin/Bike/Motorbikes/TaichungMotorbikes.html>.

                  CL
                • Mark Garvey
                  Message 8 of 29 , Feb 23, 2012

                    For several years I used my xtracycle as both transportation and as a stand for my balloon and magic show.  It worked really well.  I could hit the farmers markets easily and even travel to other nearby venues.  For crowded events it can't be beat.  I have to rethink my strategy here.  I wonder if I can begin to use my X as the stand again. Using the van for long. Distance and the X for the close in stuff.

                    On Feb 22, 2012 10:29 PM, <rootsradicals-owner@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                    Thanks for the inspiration folks:

                    http://everydayadventurers.com/2012/02/longtail-standard-makes-everything-more-useful/

                    -Nate

                    --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Mark Garvey <lazybee45@...> wrote:

                    > There is no doubt that the xtracycle is the greatest cargo carrier in the
                    > two wheel world.  My problem is distance.  And of course the winter.  Not
                    > bad this year.  But we often have sub zero temps and snow two ft deep.
                    > Maybe I am lazy but riding Several miles for a gig is not the way right
                    > now.  But it can work and has in the past.  I love my x.
                    > On Feb 22, 2012 5:56 AM, "Cara Lin Bridgman" <shokulan@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > For some of us, our xtracycle IS the truck.  And before we got the
                    > > xtracycle, our motorbike was the truck.
                    > >
                    > > CL
                    > > who has moved house many times with just a 90 cc motorbike.
                    > >
                    > > Troy wrote:
                    > > > If you plan to haul building supplies or something, then use a truck.

                    <*> Your email settings:
                       Individual Email | Traditional

                    <*> To change settings online go to:
                       (Yahoo! ID required)

                    <*> To change settings via email:
                       rootsradicals-digest@yahoogroups.com

                       http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  • Troy
                    Message 9 of 29 , Feb 23, 2012
                      You're right. That wasn't the most brilliant thing for me to say, especially here! It's true at some point though, there is a limit to what one can carry on a bicycle, although that limit is much greater than most would suspect.

                      What my intention was in saying that was simply that i think that Mr Garvey may be best served by not over-thinking or over-designing his cargo solution for his light motorcycle, since if we're honest, I'm sure _most_ of us carry relatively little cargo _most_ of the time. That certainly is the case with me. There are occasional heavy/large loads, but most of the time i'm only using 1/2 or less of my xtracycle capacity by volume (even less usually by weight).

                      I'm probably over-generalizing though, and assuming everyone is just like me, which of course is not the case!

                      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Cara Lin Bridgman <shokulan@...> wrote:

                      > For some of us, our xtracycle IS the truck. And before we got the
                      > xtracycle, our motorbike was the truck.
                      >
                      > CL
                      > who has moved house many times with just a 90 cc motorbike.
                      >
                      > Troy wrote:
                      > > If you plan to haul building supplies or something, then use a truck.

                    • Douglas Botma
                      Message 10 of 29 , Feb 23, 2012
                        My Xtracycle is my truck,I regularly max it's capacity by volume and enough times with weight that I'm looking into a stoked Big Dummy or Surly "Bill" trailer

                        Message 11 of 29 , Feb 23, 2012

                          Quite honesttly my whole premise was based on the idea that I really find the xtracycle concept a very practical and useful solution to the entire cargo carrying dilemma for those of us who prefer two wheel transportation.   I was mostly dreaming that I could find a cargo solution for my motorcycle that is as useful and practical as the xtracycle/longbike solution is for bicycles.
                          The other idea is the bakfiets design, which I also like but no one makes something like that in the US and more critically, affordable!   The X is the best solution for two wheel cargo that I have found.  I was just thinking of applications in otherareas.  I will just keep on the way I have been.  I do plan on using my X a lot more however.

                          On Feb 23, 2012 9:32 AM, "Troy" <troysmith80@...> wrote:
                          You're right. That wasn't the most brilliant thing for me to say, especially here! It's true at some point though, there is a limit to what one can carry on a bicycle, although that limit is much greater than most would suspect.

                          What my intention was in saying that was simply that i think that Mr Garvey may be best served by not over-thinking or over-designing his cargo solution for his light motorcycle, since if we're honest, I'm sure _most_ of us carry relatively little cargo _most_ of the time. That certainly is the case with me. There are occasional heavy/large loads, but most of the time i'm only using 1/2 or less of my xtracycle capacity by volume (even less usually by weight).

                          I'm probably over-generalizing though, and assuming everyone is just like me, which of course is not the case!

                          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Cara Lin Bridgman <shokulan@...> wrote:

                          > For some of us, our xtracycle IS the truck.  And before we got the
                          > xtracycle, our motorbike was the truck.
                          >
                          > CL
                          > who has moved house many times with just a 90 cc motorbike.
                          >
                          > Troy wrote:
                          > > If you plan to haul building supplies or something, then use a truck.

                          <*> Your email settings:
                             Individual Email | Traditional

                          <*> To change settings online go to:
                             (Yahoo! ID required)

                          <*> To change settings via email:
                             rootsradicals-digest@yahoogroups.com

                             http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                        • Vik Banerjee
                          Message 12 of 29 , Feb 23, 2012
                            CETMA builds Dutch "style" cargo bikes in Oregon. They aren't cheap, but they are pretty cool.

                            safe riding,

                            On 2012-02-23, at 8:14 AM, Mark Garvey wrote:

                            Quite honesttly my whole premise was based on the idea that I really find the xtracycle concept a very practical and useful solution to the entire cargo carrying dilemma for those of us who prefer two wheel transportation.   I was mostly dreaming that I could find a cargo solution for my motorcycle that is as useful and practical as the xtracycle/longbike solution is for bicycles.
                            The other idea is the bakfiets design, which I also like but no one makes something like that in the US and more critically, affordable!   The X is the best solution for two wheel cargo that I have found.  I was just thinking of applications in otherareas.  I will just keep on the way I have been.  I do plan on using my X a lot more however.

                            On Feb 23, 2012 9:32 AM, "Troy" <troysmith80@...> wrote:
                            You're right. That wasn't the most brilliant thing for me to say, especially here! It's true at some point though, there is a limit to what one can carry on a bicycle, although that limit is much greater than most would suspect.

                            What my intention was in saying that was simply that i think that Mr Garvey may be best served by not over-thinking or over-designing his cargo solution for his light motorcycle, since if we're honest, I'm sure _most_ of us carry relatively little cargo _most_ of the time. That certainly is the case with me. There are occasional heavy/large loads, but most of the time i'm only using 1/2 or less of my xtracycle capacity by volume (even less usually by weight).

                            I'm probably over-generalizing though, and assuming everyone is just like me, which of course is not the case!

                            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Cara Lin Bridgman <shokulan@...> wrote:

                            > For some of us, our xtracycle IS the truck.  And before we got the
                            > xtracycle, our motorbike was the truck.
                            >
                            > CL
                            > who has moved house many times with just a 90 cc motorbike.
                            >
                            > Troy wrote:
                            > > If you plan to haul building supplies or something, then use a truck.

                            <*> Your email settings:
                               Individual Email | Traditional

                            <*> To change settings online go to:
                               (Yahoo! ID required)

                            <*> To change settings via email:
                               rootsradicals-digest@yahoogroups.com

                               http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                          • Devian Gilbert
                            Message 13 of 29 , Feb 23, 2012
                              panniers and the like are positioned off of center.
                              by design they hang off of a frame/rack of some sort.
                              which gives opportunity for things to sway
                              which gives you the opportunity to cinch things down accordingly.

                              a platform design, simply gives cargo a table to rest on.

                              I can see the lure of wanting to use a sling load on a motorbike, but then I'd start to wonder.
                              as if... perhaps a standard platform and tied down duffle bag could be the more secure option.

                              d-

                              On 2012-02-23, at 8:14 AM, Mark Garvey wrote:

                              Quite honesttly my whole premise was based on the idea that I really find the xtracycle concept a very practical and useful solution to the entire cargo carrying dilemma for those of us who prefer two wheel transportation.   I was mostly dreaming that I could find a cargo solution for my motorcycle that is as useful and practical as the xtracycle/longbike solution is for bicycles.
                              The other idea is the bakfiets design, which I also like but no one makes something like that in the US and more critically, affordable!   The X is the best solution for two wheel cargo that I have found.  I was just thinking of applications in otherareas.  I will just keep on the way I have been.  I do plan on using my X a lot more however.

                              On Feb 23, 2012 9:32 AM, "Troy" <troysmith80@...> wrote:
                              You're right. That wasn't the most brilliant thing for me to say, especially here! It's true at some point though, there is a limit to what one can carry on a bicycle, although that limit is much greater than most would suspect.

                              What my intention was in saying that was simply that i think that Mr Garvey may be best served by not over-thinking or over-designing his cargo solution for his light motorcycle, since if we're honest, I'm sure _most_ of us carry relatively little cargo _most_ of the time. That certainly is the case with me. There are occasional heavy/large loads, but most of the time i'm only using 1/2 or less of my xtracycle capacity by volume (even less usually by weight).

                              I'm probably over-generalizing though, and assuming everyone is just like me, which of course is not the case!

                              --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Cara Lin Bridgman <shokulan@...> wrote:

                              > For some of us, our xtracycle IS the truck.  And before we got the
                              > xtracycle, our motorbike was the truck.
                              >
                              > CL
                              > who has moved house many times with just a 90 cc motorbike.
                              >
                              > Troy wrote:
                              > > If you plan to haul building supplies or something, then use a truck.

                              <*> Your email settings:
                                 Individual Email | Traditional

                              <*> To change settings online go to:
                                 (Yahoo! ID required)

                              <*> To change settings via email:
                                 rootsradicals-digest@yahoogroups.com

                                 http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                            • Steven Krall
                              Message 14 of 29 , Feb 23, 2012
                                Tom's site has alot of interesting ideas using old bikes to make a new cargo bike at a pretty reasonable price or do it yourself plans.   Mostly Dutch style.

                                Steve

                                On 2012-02-23, at 8:14 AM, Mark Garvey wrote:

                                Quite honesttly my whole premise was based on the idea that I really find the xtracycle concept a very practical and useful solution to the entire cargo carrying dilemma for those of us who prefer two wheel transportation.   I was mostly dreaming that I could find a cargo solution for my motorcycle that is as useful and practical as the xtracycle/longbike solution is for bicycles.
                                The other idea is the bakfiets design, which I also like but no one makes something like that in the US and more critically, affordable!   The X is the best solution for two wheel cargo that I have found.  I was just thinking of applications in otherareas.  I will just keep on the way I have been.  I do plan on using my X a lot more however.
                                On Feb 23, 2012 9:32 AM, "Troy" <troysmith80@...> wrote:
                                You're right. That wasn't the most brilliant thing for me to say, especially here! It's true at some point though, there is a limit to what one can carry on a bicycle, although that limit is much greater than most would suspect.

                                What my intention was in saying that was simply that i think that Mr Garvey may be best served by not over-thinking or over-designing his cargo solution for his light motorcycle, since if we're honest, I'm sure _most_ of us carry relatively little cargo _most_ of the time. That certainly is the case with me. There are occasional heavy/large loads, but most of the time i'm only using 1/2 or less of my xtracycle capacity by volume (even less usually by weight).

                                I'm probably over-generalizing though, and assuming everyone is just like me, which of course is not the case!

                                --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Cara Lin Bridgman <shokulan@...> wrote:

                                > For some of us, our xtracycle IS the truck.  And before we got the
                                > xtracycle, our motorbike was the truck.
                                >
                                > CL
                                > who has moved house many times with just a 90 cc motorbike.
                                >
                                > Troy wrote:
                                > > If you plan to haul building supplies or something, then use a truck.

                                <*> Your email settings:
                                   Individual Email | Traditional

                                <*> To change settings online go to:
                                   (Yahoo! ID required)

                                <*> To change settings via email:
                                   rootsradicals-digest@yahoogroups.com

                                   http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                              • Mickyle
                                Message 15 of 29 , Feb 24, 2012
                                  Just a heads up Douglas that the Stokemonkey has been out of production since October.  Right around the time that I was finally ready to pony up for a mid-drive motor.  I went with the only other mid-drive I knew of, then or now, the Mdrive by Urban Commuter Solutions.  But it's made specifically for the Yuba Mundo.......which works out nicely for me as I'd already decided on the Mundo (and after two months, love it!)  As for my Mdrive, it arrived yesterday, looks great, and I am looking forward to the challenge of installing it.

                                  BTW, the Mundo is rated to carry in total a third of a ton!  (660 lbs., officially, but what's another six and two/thirds pounds among friends?)   ~   Mickyle

                                  Posted by: "Douglas Botma" dbotma2@...   glamorousglennix

                                  Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:19 am (PST)

                                  My Xtracycle is my truck,I regularly max it's capacity by volume and enough
                                  times with weight that I'm looking into a stoked Big Dummy or Surly "Bill"
                                  trailer

                                • TIM_H
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Feb 26, 2012
                                    A top notch electric drive system is the eco-speed,tons of power and speed.Basically you choose how much power and speed you want.

                                    One large catch though,the eco-speed is expensive.

                                    http://www.ecospeed.com/index.html