7-22-01 DC Bike Demonstration News

  • Cycle America - Nat Bicycle Greenway
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2001
      If you go to the web for Bike to DC:

      http://www.bikeroute.com/CycleAmerica2000

      and read the pronouncement we are making there about our
      Demonstration at the Capitol, you will see that much has changed. The
      purpose of our rally is more clearly stated. That is, we are coming
      together as a group to ask that something great, something enduring,
      be done with TEA-21 monies instead of letting them get all eaten up
      by the many many worthy bike projects that lack a general plan. That
      something noble, of course, is the National Bicycle Greenway network!

      They built a Great Wall in China with focused effort. Here in
      America, we've sent a man to the moon, turned deserts into fertile
      valleys and connected even the furthest reaches of America with our
      now fully built interstate network. How? By marshalling the efforts
      of our schools and our best people and our natural resources toward
      actualizing a Big Vision. Why are we not good enough as cyclists to
      demand that something grand be built for not only us but for the
      planet and for the many different human powered recreation and
      transportation needs that exist?

      When will we stop making cars and trucks and buses more important
      than the very humans who operate them? Well the heaven we deserve
      right here on earth, right out our front doors will never become a
      reality by idly wishing that this become the case. We absolutely must
      start making some noise!

      And as we do so with Bike to DC, in order to keep the focus purely on
      the rally at the west steps, we are not doing a loop ride as we did
      last year. Nor are there staging rides.

      As cyclists, all too many of us pride ourselves on being independent.
      In lieu, then of the complexities of organizing rides in addition to
      our gathering/rally itself, we have determined that we'll just let
      you find your way to our event on your own. It shouldn't be hard to
      find the Nation's Capitol. We'll also let you roam around DC as you
      so desire instead of asking you to ride in unison at a specified
      time. In such a way, we all breathe a lot easier....

      What's more is that Janet Panic (formerly the Bilenky Cycle Works
      band) tells me they have cleared space in their busy calendar for
      7-22 -DC. Yahoooo, I say because it does seem that they are getting
      most popular indeed! So busy that Janet doesn't have time to get me
      even an overview of the recording label they are negotiating with!!

      In closing, then, with music and a true power location with which to
      deliver our message, our next step will be to campaign to get the
      appropriate bike industry and elected officials there. This will also
      free me up to do what I do best. Write. Press Releases that get us
      beyond the Internet and into the media and beyond!!

      THX 4 U -- THX for believing.....

      M A R T I N K R I E G
      Bent Since '83, Car Free Since '89, Attacking with Love
      Coma, Paralysis, Clinical Death Survivor
      '79 & '86 TransAm Vet, "Awake Again" Author
      Demonstrate in DC with us: http://www.BikeRoute.com
      N A T I O N A L B I C Y C L E G R E E N W A Y