Re: [rootsradicals] Non-cargo-specific general bike question

  • David Backeberg
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 13, 2012
      On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 11:33 AM, Tone <tone@...> wrote:
      > do not drive and the only bike I have is a built up Big Dummy, which I
      > dislike riding in winter conditions on salted roads. I guess I am
      > paranoid about rust developing on my pricey Big Dummy, so I wanted a
      > secondary aluminum bike as a lighter “beater” alternative.

      I do the same thing. My beater was a former rental bike on Block
      Island, and had lots of dings and dents, but it had a solid Schwinn
      steel frame. I touched up all the missing paint, and at this point
      I've changed most of the components and put a few thousand miles on
      it. I love that the frame looks crap but the wheels are solid
      Mavic/Shimano, and the entire drivetrain has been upgraded. The beater
      bike has fenders and snow studs and an airzound horn for my winter
      commuter fun.

      > pounds. I am quite sure the higher weight feel on the Fuji is most likely
      > a result of cheap components though. As I said, I plan on swapping out a
      > lot of stuff from the start and upgrade as other components wear down, so
      > hopefully that should bring the weight down.
      > With all of this in mind, does anyone have any opinions about Fuji bikes,
      > or at least their frames? I have read some reviews and it sounds like the

      The big LBS here sells primarily Fujis, so I've seen many around town
      in various states of use / abuse. They seem to hold up well, and I
      consider them on the same level as a quality bike like a Trek or
      similar badge.
    • David Dannenberg
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 14, 2012
        FWIW, I entered "Fuji Nevada 4.0" into Google and got pages of information. For value guesstimate, the current model sells for $450-$550.

        Good luck with your new bike.

        If you want to simply add cargo capability, check out the Wike Speedy Cart. http://www.wicycle.com/cargo_speedy_shopper.php $100 plus $35 for the hitch. Holds a mere 50 lbs, but folds and is light and simple. When decoupled works like a hand truck which is very cool; even stands upright. Got one for my wife, but haven't tried it yet except around the driveway, and if felt great, even when overload with a huge rock. I did have to make a custom hitch post on the bike in order to clear her Tubus rack, but if you have shorter rack or different bike geometry that won't be a problem for you. Besides making the hitch was a fun project.

        David Danneberg
      • Bruce Alan Wilson
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 14, 2012
          Our local police department's bike patrol uses Fujis.