Re: [rootsradicals] Re: Tires for Big Dummy

  • michael kestner
    Message 1 of 28 , Feb 7, 2012
      http://www.singlespeedoutlaw.com/main/articles/homemadestuddedtires.shtml

      There's these also if you want to DIY and save some $$

      Mike

      Message 2 of 28 , Feb 7, 2012
        I have been running enormous Maxxus Hookworms, the biggest, I think 2.5" maybe. Good tough tire, low rolling resistance when kept pumped to maximum pressure. No problem in rain. No big problems on light snow--a dusting to an inch (I don't ride in deep stuff). Handle loads fine. Seem to be pretty flat resistant, and handle curbs, loads, rocks, etc very well (though can be jarring with high pressure). Look great! Are heavy as can be though. If the Schwable were available in wider size would consider them.

        HTH

        David Dannenberg
      • Pete Beers
        Message 3 of 28 , Feb 7, 2012
          My personal favorites are the Schwalbe Marathon Extreme 26x2.25.  They roll relatively smoothly.  They've got lots of tread for gravel.  They have THOUSANDS of multi-surface miles on them and they're still going strong.  I can't believe how durable they've been.  Since installing them I've had 0 flats.  None.  Zilch. Bupkis.

          I can't imagine running anything but them on my Dummy.

          Pete

        • Edward Hensley
          Message 4 of 28 , Feb 7, 2012
            The Marathon Extremes sound great, and I need new ones for BD, but I find them only at UK sites. Any in the US?

            Ed

            <><><><><><><><><>
            Ed Hensley
            Grass Valley CA USA
            <><><><><><><><><>

            Message 5 of 28 , Feb 8, 2012
              I got my Marathon Extremes from a local shop.

              Sent from my iPad

              Message 6 of 28 , Feb 8, 2012
                I found a site that shows you how to make your own studded tires using sheet metal if you are into DIY stuff.

                http://www.singlespeedoutlaw.com/main/articles/homemadestuddedtires.shtml

                I haven't tried them yet, but they look pretty good.

                Mike

                Message 7 of 28 , Feb 8, 2012
                  OOps, using sheet metal screws. My bad.

                  Mike

                  I got my Marathon Extremes from a local shop.

                  Sent from my iPad

                  On Feb 8, 2012, at 2:07 AM, Edward Hensley <edwardhensley@...> wrote:

                  The Marathon Extremes sound great, and I need new ones for BD, but I find them only at UK sites. Any in the US?

                  Ed

                  <><><><><><><><><>
                  Ed Hensley
                  Grass Valley CA USA
                  <><><><><><><><><>

                  On Feb 7, 2012, at 11:07 AM, Pete Beers wrote:

                  > My personal favorites are the Schwalbe Marathon Extreme 26x2.25. They roll relatively smoothly. They've got lots of tread for gravel. They have THOUSANDS of multi-surface miles on them and they're still going strong. I can't believe how durable they've been. Since installing them I've had 0 flats. None. Zilch. Bupkis.

                • David Dannenberg
                  Message 8 of 28 , Feb 8, 2012
                    Here they are in the US (listed in dollars anyway): http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/SearchResults.aspx?Search=Schwalbe+Marathon+Extreme&PartnerID=2950&gclid=CLiqhqCwjq4CFUjd4AodJEbriA

                    How smooth are those things on pavement? (I can guess the answer to this one)

                    DD

                  • Steve Fuller
                    Message 9 of 28 , Feb 8, 2012

                      My LBS ordered mine in for me.

                      On Feb 8, 2012 1:07 AM, "Edward Hensley" <edwardhensley@...> wrote:

                      The Marathon Extremes sound great, and I need new ones for BD, but I find them only at UK sites. Any in the US?

                      Ed

                      <><><><><><><><><>
                      Ed Hensley
                      Grass Valley CA USA
                      <><><><><><><><><>

                      On Feb 7, 2012, at 11:07 AM, Pete Beers wrote:

                      > My personal favorites are the Schwalbe Marathon Extreme 26x2.25. They roll relatively smoothly. They've got lots of tread for gravel. They have THOUSANDS of multi-surface miles on them and they're still going strong. I can't believe how durable they've been. Since installing them I've had 0 flats. None. Zilch. Bupkis.

                    • Andrew Kreps
                      Message 10 of 28 , Feb 8, 2012
                        On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 23:07, Edward Hensley <edwardhensley@...> wrote:
                        The Marathon Extremes sound great, and I need new ones for BD, but I find them only at UK sites. Any in the US?

                        I ran a pair of Supremes for about 2,000 miles.  The rear was quite toasty by then, though the front still has more life.  No flats.  I'm partial to Universal because they're Portland based which means I can pick up in-person.  Nice folks, but less LBS than some prefer.

                      • Neil Schneider
                        Message 11 of 28 , Feb 8, 2012
                          Andrew Kreps wrote:
                          > On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 23:07, Edward Hensley <edwardhensley@...> wrote:
                          >
                          >> The Marathon Extremes sound great, and I need new ones for BD, but I find
                          >> them only at UK sites. Any in the US?
                          >>

                          > Your US connection:
                          > http://www.universalcycles.com/search.php?q=schwalbe+marathon
                          >
                          > I ran a pair of Supremes for about 2,000 miles. The rear was quite toasty
                          > by then, though the front still has more life. No flats. I'm partial to
                          > Universal because they're Portland based which means I can pick up
                          > in-person. Nice folks, but less LBS than some prefer.

                          Wow! I am on the third year running a set of Marathon Supremes and somewhere
                          around 6-8,000 miles and still going strong. I'm surprised you only got 2,000
                          out of a set. They have a reputation of longevity and that has been my
                          experience. Longest lasting tires I've ever had.
                        • gear.head@verizon.net
                          Message 12 of 28 , Feb 9, 2012
                            I like the panaracer hi road v in a 26x1.50. It gives a good balance between ride and rolling resistance. I have not had any flat problems in a year of mixed riding on my BD.
                            Sean

                            From: "polarbear1101" <polarbear1101@...>
                            Sender: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
                            Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2012 16:43:50 +0000
                            To: <rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com>
                            ReplyTo: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
                            Subject: [rootsradicals] Tires for Big Dummy

                            Who can give me some advice on tires for the Big Dummy? I ride about 15 miles daily, mainly hard gravel and city streets. I have no car so I often carry loads as well. I have Continental Town & Country tires on the bike right now and I like them quite a bit.

                            I do have 2 problems:
                            1) On a monthly basis I have a flat tire because of glass etc and am therefore considering the Marathon Plus from Schwalbe. Anybody using that tire?
                            2) I'm frequently riding on snow and ice right now now and fell twice already :( If I can't get a good allrounder with a better grip in those conditions, does anybody have advice on good winter tires?

                            I have heard a lot of people using the Big Apple tires on their dummy. What are the advatages of that tire?
                            Thanks!

                          • Andrew Kreps
                            Message 13 of 28 , Feb 9, 2012
                              On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 23:26, Neil Schneider <pacneil@...> wrote:

                              Wow! I am on the third year running a set of Marathon Supremes and somewhere
                              around 6-8,000 miles and still going strong. I'm surprised you only got 2,000
                              out of a set. They have a reputation of longevity and that has been my
                              experience. Longest lasting tires I've ever had.

                              Interesting!  My usage pattern is very hard on rear tires.  Urban commuting, hard on the throttle.   I also put a couple of 100+ mile days on that rear tire, in some good heat.  I imagine that'd shred them a bit.  As strange as it is to think about, I should probably be rotating my tires.  :)

                            • Devian Gilbert
                              Message 14 of 28 , Feb 9, 2012
                                no doubt, rotate tires.

                                these days I've been on my CAAD10 a lot more
                                which places my BD in "cargo use only" mode.
                                that is... right now the weather here Monterey, Ca is better than our summers, its early february, the ride calendar is quickly coming around.

                                anyways... I've mostly been using the BD to actually haul things, errands, etc...
                                I still have a set of Sefras Drifters in 2.0" that I keep using off and on.
                                at the moment the BD is shod in WTB MutanoRaptors 2.4".  I've finally worn them down enough to have them roll well on pavement.

                                weight eats tyres.
                                especially if you have to climb, where the tire is grinding into the pavement

                                those Drifters for about $40 each, are awesome.  its hard to imagine a better bang for the buck.

                                d-
                                On Feb 9, 2012, at 11:50 AM, Andrew Kreps wrote:

                                On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 23:26, Neil Schneider <pacneil@...> wrote:

                                Wow! I am on the third year running a set of Marathon Supremes and somewhere
                                around 6-8,000 miles and still going strong. I'm surprised you only got 2,000
                                out of a set. They have a reputation of longevity and that has been my
                                experience. Longest lasting tires I've ever had.

                                Interesting!  My usage pattern is very hard on rear tires.  Urban commuting, hard on the throttle.   I also put a couple of 100+ mile days on that rear tire, in some good heat.  I imagine that'd shred them a bit.  As strange as it is to think about, I should probably be rotating my tires.  :)

                              • polarbear1101
                                Message 15 of 28 , Feb 27, 2012
                                  Wow, thanks guys for all the great advice!!!
                                  Denise
                                • polarbear1101
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Feb 27, 2012
                                    Hi Andrew,
                                    I live in Munich and ride through the English Garden to University. Therefore more than half of the daily 15 miles are on packed gravel (really fine). It gets somewhat muddy in the rain/ after the snow melts.
                                    Munich is pretty much completely flat.
                                    Thanks!
                                    Denise

                                    --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Kreps <andrew.kreps@...> wrote:

                                    > On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 08:43, polarbear1101 <polarbear1101@...> wrote:
                                    >
                                    > > Who can give me some advice on tires for the Big Dummy? I ride about 15
                                    > > miles daily, mainly hard gravel and city streets.
                                    > >

                                    > What's the breakdown of miles on gravel vs streets? Also, is there any
                                    > serious climbing/descending?

                                  • David Dannenberg
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Feb 28, 2012
                                      I like my 2.5" Maxxus Hookworms in similar conditions on my Big Dummy although I ride lower milage, slightly rougher terrain sometimes than you do. One developed an aneurism and Maxxus replaced it. I wore the center of another one smooth after about 2 years and so I replaced it. Very few flats, <1/yr. I keep the tire pressure high--the maximum and they roll very easily. Side walls are stiff, yet they do absorb shock pretty well and are excellent with even very heavy loads and curbs. I think that Hookworms would last you for years under your conditions. Only complaint: they are heavy.

                                      David Dannenberg
                                    • Andrew Kreps
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Feb 28, 2012
                                        On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 03:27, polarbear1101 <polarbear1101@...> wrote:
                                        Hi Andrew,
                                        I live in Munich and ride through the English Garden to University. Therefore more than half of the daily 15 miles are on packed gravel (really fine). It gets somewhat muddy in the rain/ after the snow melts.
                                        Munich is pretty much completely flat.

                                        Based on that information, I'd stay away from the heavy knobbies since you don't need to grip in dirt.  You could even ride a slick on flat gravel and in the rain, though I'd stay on the fatter side of the spectrum, say, 1.75" - 2.5" (approx. 4cm-7cm).  It makes the ride more enjoyable.

                                        Here's a short list of tires I've ridden and can recommend:

                                        Maxxis Hookworm - Big, beefy.  The supersize option.
                                        Schwalbe Big Apple - Great handling characteristics.  Reflective/generator strip available as I recall.
                                        Schwalbe Marathon Supreme - Good long distance tire, with some good grippy tread for mashing the pedals on dirt.

                                        I believe the two Schwalbes have a 'liteskin' option, which is a folding kevlar bead that keeps the weight down.