Re: [rootsradicals] Re: Tires for Big Dummy

  • David Backeberg
    Message 1 of 28 , Feb 7, 2012
      >Studs are really only helpful (IMO) if there's a >lot of ice around. If it's just snow, all they do is >get down to the pavement and wear down and >cause drag.

      Well, the Schwalbe Marathon Winters that several people have mentioned
      have carbide studs that wear incredibly well. I'm on my third winter
      with mine. It is true that traditional old-school steel studs would
      wear down after a while on bare pavement, but I haven't seen anybody
      recommend those kind of tires.

      The rubber compound is soft, and smart. Basically, the physics says
      that if you're on ice, the stud is going to bite into ice. If you are
      on bare pavement, there will be more noise, but most of the stud
      recesses into the tire. Between those physics and the fact that it's a
      very hard steel alloy, the studs are quite nice.

      Yes, they're overkill on bare pavement. Snow hides ice, so you can't
      tell whether you're on snow or ice. Darkness, which there is much more
      of in the winter, also hides ice. You don't know where there's an ice
      patch until you're already on it, and then it's too late. The original
      poster says he already went down twice. I went down in 2008 and broke
      a finger at the joint; I spent a fortune on physical therapy, had
      surgery, and will never have the range of motion I used to have. I'm
      not going to stop riding in the winter, so I take the precautions I
      can take.

      Not everybody rides with a helmet either, but it's really cheap
      mitigation to lessen the chance of a brain injury. I feel the same way
      about studs for winter riding.
    • michael kestner
      Message 2 of 28 , Feb 7, 2012
        http://www.singlespeedoutlaw.com/main/articles/homemadestuddedtires.shtml

        There's these also if you want to DIY and save some $$

        Mike

        >Studs are really only helpful (IMO) if there's a >lot of ice around. If it's just snow, all they do is >get down to the pavement and wear down and >cause drag.

        Well, the Schwalbe Marathon Winters that several people have mentioned
        have carbide studs that wear incredibly well. I'm on my third winter
        with mine. It is true that traditional old-school steel studs would
        wear down after a while on bare pavement, but I haven't seen anybody
        recommend those kind of tires.

        The rubber compound is soft, and smart. Basically, the physics says
        that if you're on ice, the stud is going to bite into ice. If you are
        on bare pavement, there will be more noise, but most of the stud
        recesses into the tire. Between those physics and the fact that it's a
        very hard steel alloy, the studs are quite nice.

        Yes, they're overkill on bare pavement. Snow hides ice, so you can't
        tell whether you're on snow or ice. Darkness, which there is much more
        of in the winter, also hides ice. You don't know where there's an ice
        patch until you're already on it, and then it's too late. The original
        poster says he already went down twice. I went down in 2008 and broke
        a finger at the joint; I spent a fortune on physical therapy, had
        surgery, and will never have the range of motion I used to have. I'm
        not going to stop riding in the winter, so I take the precautions I
        can take.

        Not everybody rides with a helmet either, but it's really cheap
        mitigation to lessen the chance of a brain injury. I feel the same way
        about studs for winter riding.

      • David Dannenberg
        Message 3 of 28 , Feb 7, 2012
          I have been running enormous Maxxus Hookworms, the biggest, I think 2.5" maybe. Good tough tire, low rolling resistance when kept pumped to maximum pressure. No problem in rain. No big problems on light snow--a dusting to an inch (I don't ride in deep stuff). Handle loads fine. Seem to be pretty flat resistant, and handle curbs, loads, rocks, etc very well (though can be jarring with high pressure). Look great! Are heavy as can be though. If the Schwable were available in wider size would consider them.

          HTH

          David Dannenberg
        • Pete Beers
          Message 4 of 28 , Feb 7, 2012
            My personal favorites are the Schwalbe Marathon Extreme 26x2.25.  They roll relatively smoothly.  They've got lots of tread for gravel.  They have THOUSANDS of multi-surface miles on them and they're still going strong.  I can't believe how durable they've been.  Since installing them I've had 0 flats.  None.  Zilch. Bupkis.

            I can't imagine running anything but them on my Dummy.

            Pete

          • Edward Hensley
            Message 5 of 28 , Feb 7, 2012
              The Marathon Extremes sound great, and I need new ones for BD, but I find them only at UK sites. Any in the US?

              Ed

              <><><><><><><><><>
              Ed Hensley
              Grass Valley CA USA
              <><><><><><><><><>

              Message 6 of 28 , Feb 8, 2012
                I got my Marathon Extremes from a local shop.

                Sent from my iPad

                Message 7 of 28 , Feb 8, 2012
                  I found a site that shows you how to make your own studded tires using sheet metal if you are into DIY stuff.

                  http://www.singlespeedoutlaw.com/main/articles/homemadestuddedtires.shtml

                  I haven't tried them yet, but they look pretty good.

                  Mike

                  Message 8 of 28 , Feb 8, 2012
                    OOps, using sheet metal screws. My bad.

                    Mike

                    Message 9 of 28 , Feb 8, 2012
                      Here they are in the US (listed in dollars anyway): http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/SearchResults.aspx?Search=Schwalbe+Marathon+Extreme&PartnerID=2950&gclid=CLiqhqCwjq4CFUjd4AodJEbriA

                      How smooth are those things on pavement? (I can guess the answer to this one)

                      DD

                    • Steve Fuller
                      Message 10 of 28 , Feb 8, 2012

                        My LBS ordered mine in for me.

                        On Feb 8, 2012 1:07 AM, "Edward Hensley" <edwardhensley@...> wrote:

                        The Marathon Extremes sound great, and I need new ones for BD, but I find them only at UK sites. Any in the US?

                        Ed

                        <><><><><><><><><>
                        Ed Hensley
                        Grass Valley CA USA
                        <><><><><><><><><>

                        On Feb 7, 2012, at 11:07 AM, Pete Beers wrote:

                        > My personal favorites are the Schwalbe Marathon Extreme 26x2.25. They roll relatively smoothly. They've got lots of tread for gravel. They have THOUSANDS of multi-surface miles on them and they're still going strong. I can't believe how durable they've been. Since installing them I've had 0 flats. None. Zilch. Bupkis.

                      • Andrew Kreps
                        Message 11 of 28 , Feb 8, 2012
                          On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 23:07, Edward Hensley <edwardhensley@...> wrote:
                          The Marathon Extremes sound great, and I need new ones for BD, but I find them only at UK sites. Any in the US?

                          I ran a pair of Supremes for about 2,000 miles.  The rear was quite toasty by then, though the front still has more life.  No flats.  I'm partial to Universal because they're Portland based which means I can pick up in-person.  Nice folks, but less LBS than some prefer.

                        • Neil Schneider
                          Message 12 of 28 , Feb 8, 2012
                            Andrew Kreps wrote:
                            > On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 23:07, Edward Hensley <edwardhensley@...> wrote:
                            >
                            >> The Marathon Extremes sound great, and I need new ones for BD, but I find
                            >> them only at UK sites. Any in the US?
                            >>

                            > Your US connection:
                            > http://www.universalcycles.com/search.php?q=schwalbe+marathon
                            >
                            > I ran a pair of Supremes for about 2,000 miles. The rear was quite toasty
                            > by then, though the front still has more life. No flats. I'm partial to
                            > Universal because they're Portland based which means I can pick up
                            > in-person. Nice folks, but less LBS than some prefer.

                            Wow! I am on the third year running a set of Marathon Supremes and somewhere
                            around 6-8,000 miles and still going strong. I'm surprised you only got 2,000
                            out of a set. They have a reputation of longevity and that has been my
                            experience. Longest lasting tires I've ever had.
                          • gear.head@verizon.net
                            Message 13 of 28 , Feb 9, 2012
                              I like the panaracer hi road v in a 26x1.50. It gives a good balance between ride and rolling resistance. I have not had any flat problems in a year of mixed riding on my BD.
                              Sean

                              From: "polarbear1101" <polarbear1101@...>
                              Sender: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
                              Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2012 16:43:50 +0000
                              To: <rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com>
                              ReplyTo: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
                              Subject: [rootsradicals] Tires for Big Dummy

                              Who can give me some advice on tires for the Big Dummy? I ride about 15 miles daily, mainly hard gravel and city streets. I have no car so I often carry loads as well. I have Continental Town & Country tires on the bike right now and I like them quite a bit.

                              I do have 2 problems:
                              1) On a monthly basis I have a flat tire because of glass etc and am therefore considering the Marathon Plus from Schwalbe. Anybody using that tire?
                              2) I'm frequently riding on snow and ice right now now and fell twice already :( If I can't get a good allrounder with a better grip in those conditions, does anybody have advice on good winter tires?

                              I have heard a lot of people using the Big Apple tires on their dummy. What are the advatages of that tire?
                              Thanks!

                            • Andrew Kreps
                              Message 14 of 28 , Feb 9, 2012
                                On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 23:26, Neil Schneider <pacneil@...> wrote:

                                Wow! I am on the third year running a set of Marathon Supremes and somewhere
                                around 6-8,000 miles and still going strong. I'm surprised you only got 2,000
                                out of a set. They have a reputation of longevity and that has been my
                                experience. Longest lasting tires I've ever had.

                                Interesting!  My usage pattern is very hard on rear tires.  Urban commuting, hard on the throttle.   I also put a couple of 100+ mile days on that rear tire, in some good heat.  I imagine that'd shred them a bit.  As strange as it is to think about, I should probably be rotating my tires.  :)

                              • Devian Gilbert
                                Message 15 of 28 , Feb 9, 2012
                                  no doubt, rotate tires.

                                  these days I've been on my CAAD10 a lot more
                                  which places my BD in "cargo use only" mode.
                                  that is... right now the weather here Monterey, Ca is better than our summers, its early february, the ride calendar is quickly coming around.

                                  anyways... I've mostly been using the BD to actually haul things, errands, etc...
                                  I still have a set of Sefras Drifters in 2.0" that I keep using off and on.
                                  at the moment the BD is shod in WTB MutanoRaptors 2.4".  I've finally worn them down enough to have them roll well on pavement.

                                  weight eats tyres.
                                  especially if you have to climb, where the tire is grinding into the pavement

                                  those Drifters for about $40 each, are awesome.  its hard to imagine a better bang for the buck.

                                  d-
                                  On Feb 9, 2012, at 11:50 AM, Andrew Kreps wrote:

                                  On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 23:26, Neil Schneider <pacneil@...> wrote:

                                  Wow! I am on the third year running a set of Marathon Supremes and somewhere
                                  around 6-8,000 miles and still going strong. I'm surprised you only got 2,000
                                  out of a set. They have a reputation of longevity and that has been my
                                  experience. Longest lasting tires I've ever had.

                                  Interesting!  My usage pattern is very hard on rear tires.  Urban commuting, hard on the throttle.   I also put a couple of 100+ mile days on that rear tire, in some good heat.  I imagine that'd shred them a bit.  As strange as it is to think about, I should probably be rotating my tires.  :)

                                • polarbear1101
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Feb 27, 2012
                                    Wow, thanks guys for all the great advice!!!
                                    Denise
                                  • polarbear1101
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Feb 27, 2012
                                      Hi Andrew,
                                      I live in Munich and ride through the English Garden to University. Therefore more than half of the daily 15 miles are on packed gravel (really fine). It gets somewhat muddy in the rain/ after the snow melts.
                                      Munich is pretty much completely flat.
                                      Thanks!
                                      Denise

                                      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Kreps <andrew.kreps@...> wrote:

                                      > On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 08:43, polarbear1101 <polarbear1101@...> wrote:
                                      >
                                      > > Who can give me some advice on tires for the Big Dummy? I ride about 15
                                      > > miles daily, mainly hard gravel and city streets.
                                      > >

                                      > What's the breakdown of miles on gravel vs streets? Also, is there any
                                      > serious climbing/descending?

                                    • David Dannenberg
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Feb 28, 2012
                                        I like my 2.5" Maxxus Hookworms in similar conditions on my Big Dummy although I ride lower milage, slightly rougher terrain sometimes than you do. One developed an aneurism and Maxxus replaced it. I wore the center of another one smooth after about 2 years and so I replaced it. Very few flats, <1/yr. I keep the tire pressure high--the maximum and they roll very easily. Side walls are stiff, yet they do absorb shock pretty well and are excellent with even very heavy loads and curbs. I think that Hookworms would last you for years under your conditions. Only complaint: they are heavy.

                                        David Dannenberg
                                      • Andrew Kreps
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Feb 28, 2012
                                          On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 03:27, polarbear1101 <polarbear1101@...> wrote:
                                          Hi Andrew,
                                          I live in Munich and ride through the English Garden to University. Therefore more than half of the daily 15 miles are on packed gravel (really fine). It gets somewhat muddy in the rain/ after the snow melts.
                                          Munich is pretty much completely flat.

                                          Based on that information, I'd stay away from the heavy knobbies since you don't need to grip in dirt.  You could even ride a slick on flat gravel and in the rain, though I'd stay on the fatter side of the spectrum, say, 1.75" - 2.5" (approx. 4cm-7cm).  It makes the ride more enjoyable.

                                          Here's a short list of tires I've ridden and can recommend:

                                          Maxxis Hookworm - Big, beefy.  The supersize option.
                                          Schwalbe Big Apple - Great handling characteristics.  Reflective/generator strip available as I recall.
                                          Schwalbe Marathon Supreme - Good long distance tire, with some good grippy tread for mashing the pedals on dirt.

                                          I believe the two Schwalbes have a 'liteskin' option, which is a folding kevlar bead that keeps the weight down.