Re: [rootsradicals] Tires for Big Dummy

  • rltilley@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 28 , Feb 6, 2012
      I'm happy with the stock Contis on the Dummy since I care more about flat resistance than ride quality. I've used Big Apples on other bikes and think that are great tires. I didn't have enough time on them to get an idea of how they are as far as flat resistance goes.

      On a touring list I am on a high mileage tourer just had a really bad experience with the Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires. Truck tire wires were the culprit. Apparently the Marathons do a poor job of keeping them out. Not sure if he had the Kevlar version or not.

      Robert Tilley
      San Diego, CA

      Message 2 of 28 , Feb 6, 2012
        I have the Nokian Mount & Ground w160 tires for winter commuting, and I couldn't be happier. There have been many times when I had no idea the road was icy until I tried to put my foot down. As long as I'm rolling I don't worry about sliding.

        For my regular tires I have panaracer crosstown 1.75's. It seems like most people like wide cushy tires, but for some reason the narrower tires suit me better. Anyway, I chose these because they have extra rubber to give more flat protection not just a kevlar belt.

        I think I had a bad Big Apple, so I'm not going to elaborate. I will just say that if I hadn't read so many raving reviews of it I wouldn't hold back with my disappointment. I really think mine was just a bad tire prone to flats.

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "polarbear1101" <polarbear1101@...> wrote:

        > Who can give me some advice on tires for the Big Dummy? I ride about 15 miles daily, mainly hard gravel and city streets. I have no car so I often carry loads as well. I have Continental Town & Country tires on the bike right now and I like them quite a bit.
        >
        > I do have 2 problems:
        > 1) On a monthly basis I have a flat tire because of glass etc and am therefore considering the Marathon Plus from Schwalbe. Anybody using that tire?
        > 2) I'm frequently riding on snow and ice right now now and fell twice already :( If I can't get a good allrounder with a better grip in those conditions, does anybody have advice on good winter tires?
        >
        > I have heard a lot of people using the Big Apple tires on their dummy. What are the advatages of that tire?
        > Thanks!

      • Proxy
        Message 3 of 28 , Feb 7, 2012
          I run 700x35 SMP on 23mm salsa delgado rims for about 2y now. I've only had one flat, it was a nail directly thru the kevelar belt. The rubber compound of those tires seems to resist gravel and staples super well, I don't tend to pick things out of the tires because they don't hold debris.

          When it's icy out, I switch to a pair of Schwalbe Marathon Winter and they seem nice and stable, safe than walking on glare ice with Yak Traks on my shoes, certainly. At the modest rate I use those SMWs, I'm going to have them forever. Have not lost any studs, my commute is ~7mi one way.

          I don't need to plow thru snow, so luckily I don't really require lugged snow tires, my major streets get plowed well enough.
        • Steve Fuller
          Message 4 of 28 , Feb 7, 2012
            Studs are really only helpful (IMO) if there's a lot of ice around. If it's just snow, all they do is get down to the pavement and wear down and cause drag.

            You might consider a wider tire at a lower pressure to get a wider footprint as an option. I've also seen bike "chains" that fit around a tire and can be put on and removed depending on when the weather is good or bad. I will be honest in saying that I don't ride my BD in snow so I don't have any practical experience, but I do ride cross bikes, MTBs and my Salsa Mukluk on ice and snow.

            Steve

          • Andrew Kreps
            Message 5 of 28 , Feb 7, 2012
              On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 08:43, polarbear1101 <polarbear1101@...> wrote:
              Who can give me some advice on tires for the Big Dummy? I ride about 15 miles daily, mainly hard gravel and city streets.

              What's the breakdown of miles on gravel vs streets?   Also, is there any serious climbing/descending?

            • David Backeberg
              Message 6 of 28 , Feb 7, 2012
                >Studs are really only helpful (IMO) if there's a >lot of ice around. If it's just snow, all they do is >get down to the pavement and wear down and >cause drag.

                Well, the Schwalbe Marathon Winters that several people have mentioned
                have carbide studs that wear incredibly well. I'm on my third winter
                with mine. It is true that traditional old-school steel studs would
                wear down after a while on bare pavement, but I haven't seen anybody
                recommend those kind of tires.

                The rubber compound is soft, and smart. Basically, the physics says
                that if you're on ice, the stud is going to bite into ice. If you are
                on bare pavement, there will be more noise, but most of the stud
                recesses into the tire. Between those physics and the fact that it's a
                very hard steel alloy, the studs are quite nice.

                Yes, they're overkill on bare pavement. Snow hides ice, so you can't
                tell whether you're on snow or ice. Darkness, which there is much more
                of in the winter, also hides ice. You don't know where there's an ice
                patch until you're already on it, and then it's too late. The original
                poster says he already went down twice. I went down in 2008 and broke
                a finger at the joint; I spent a fortune on physical therapy, had
                surgery, and will never have the range of motion I used to have. I'm
                not going to stop riding in the winter, so I take the precautions I
                can take.

                Not everybody rides with a helmet either, but it's really cheap
                mitigation to lessen the chance of a brain injury. I feel the same way
                about studs for winter riding.
              • michael kestner
                Message 7 of 28 , Feb 7, 2012
                  http://www.singlespeedoutlaw.com/main/articles/homemadestuddedtires.shtml

                  There's these also if you want to DIY and save some $$

                  Mike

                  >Studs are really only helpful (IMO) if there's a >lot of ice around. If it's just snow, all they do is >get down to the pavement and wear down and >cause drag.

                  Well, the Schwalbe Marathon Winters that several people have mentioned
                  have carbide studs that wear incredibly well. I'm on my third winter
                  with mine. It is true that traditional old-school steel studs would
                  wear down after a while on bare pavement, but I haven't seen anybody
                  recommend those kind of tires.

                  The rubber compound is soft, and smart. Basically, the physics says
                  that if you're on ice, the stud is going to bite into ice. If you are
                  on bare pavement, there will be more noise, but most of the stud
                  recesses into the tire. Between those physics and the fact that it's a
                  very hard steel alloy, the studs are quite nice.

                  Yes, they're overkill on bare pavement. Snow hides ice, so you can't
                  tell whether you're on snow or ice. Darkness, which there is much more
                  of in the winter, also hides ice. You don't know where there's an ice
                  patch until you're already on it, and then it's too late. The original
                  poster says he already went down twice. I went down in 2008 and broke
                  a finger at the joint; I spent a fortune on physical therapy, had
                  surgery, and will never have the range of motion I used to have. I'm
                  not going to stop riding in the winter, so I take the precautions I
                  can take.

                  Not everybody rides with a helmet either, but it's really cheap
                  mitigation to lessen the chance of a brain injury. I feel the same way
                  about studs for winter riding.

                • David Dannenberg
                  Message 8 of 28 , Feb 7, 2012
                    I have been running enormous Maxxus Hookworms, the biggest, I think 2.5" maybe. Good tough tire, low rolling resistance when kept pumped to maximum pressure. No problem in rain. No big problems on light snow--a dusting to an inch (I don't ride in deep stuff). Handle loads fine. Seem to be pretty flat resistant, and handle curbs, loads, rocks, etc very well (though can be jarring with high pressure). Look great! Are heavy as can be though. If the Schwable were available in wider size would consider them.

                    HTH

                    David Dannenberg
                  • Pete Beers
                    Message 9 of 28 , Feb 7, 2012
                      My personal favorites are the Schwalbe Marathon Extreme 26x2.25.  They roll relatively smoothly.  They've got lots of tread for gravel.  They have THOUSANDS of multi-surface miles on them and they're still going strong.  I can't believe how durable they've been.  Since installing them I've had 0 flats.  None.  Zilch. Bupkis.

                      I can't imagine running anything but them on my Dummy.

                      Pete

                    • Edward Hensley
                      Message 10 of 28 , Feb 7, 2012
                        The Marathon Extremes sound great, and I need new ones for BD, but I find them only at UK sites. Any in the US?

                        Ed

                        <><><><><><><><><>
                        Ed Hensley
                        Grass Valley CA USA
                        <><><><><><><><><>

                        Message 11 of 28 , Feb 8, 2012
                          I got my Marathon Extremes from a local shop.

                          Sent from my iPad

                          Message 12 of 28 , Feb 8, 2012
                            I found a site that shows you how to make your own studded tires using sheet metal if you are into DIY stuff.

                            http://www.singlespeedoutlaw.com/main/articles/homemadestuddedtires.shtml

                            I haven't tried them yet, but they look pretty good.

                            Mike

                            Message 13 of 28 , Feb 8, 2012
                              OOps, using sheet metal screws. My bad.

                              Mike

                              Message 14 of 28 , Feb 8, 2012
                                Here they are in the US (listed in dollars anyway): http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/SearchResults.aspx?Search=Schwalbe+Marathon+Extreme&PartnerID=2950&gclid=CLiqhqCwjq4CFUjd4AodJEbriA

                                How smooth are those things on pavement? (I can guess the answer to this one)

                                DD

                              • Steve Fuller
                                Message 15 of 28 , Feb 8, 2012

                                  My LBS ordered mine in for me.

                                  Message 16 of 28 , Feb 8, 2012
                                    On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 23:07, Edward Hensley <edwardhensley@...> wrote:
                                    The Marathon Extremes sound great, and I need new ones for BD, but I find them only at UK sites. Any in the US?

                                    I ran a pair of Supremes for about 2,000 miles.  The rear was quite toasty by then, though the front still has more life.  No flats.  I'm partial to Universal because they're Portland based which means I can pick up in-person.  Nice folks, but less LBS than some prefer.

                                  • Neil Schneider
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Feb 8, 2012
                                      Andrew Kreps wrote:
                                      > On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 23:07, Edward Hensley <edwardhensley@...> wrote:
                                      >
                                      >> The Marathon Extremes sound great, and I need new ones for BD, but I find
                                      >> them only at UK sites. Any in the US?
                                      >>

                                      > Your US connection:
                                      > http://www.universalcycles.com/search.php?q=schwalbe+marathon
                                      >
                                      > I ran a pair of Supremes for about 2,000 miles. The rear was quite toasty
                                      > by then, though the front still has more life. No flats. I'm partial to
                                      > Universal because they're Portland based which means I can pick up
                                      > in-person. Nice folks, but less LBS than some prefer.

                                      Wow! I am on the third year running a set of Marathon Supremes and somewhere
                                      around 6-8,000 miles and still going strong. I'm surprised you only got 2,000
                                      out of a set. They have a reputation of longevity and that has been my
                                      experience. Longest lasting tires I've ever had.
                                    • gear.head@verizon.net
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Feb 9, 2012
                                        I like the panaracer hi road v in a 26x1.50. It gives a good balance between ride and rolling resistance. I have not had any flat problems in a year of mixed riding on my BD.
                                        Sean

                                        From: "polarbear1101" <polarbear1101@...>
                                        Sender: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
                                        Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2012 16:43:50 +0000
                                        To: <rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com>
                                        ReplyTo: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com

                                        Message 19 of 28 , Feb 9, 2012
                                          On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 23:26, Neil Schneider <pacneil@...> wrote:

                                          Wow! I am on the third year running a set of Marathon Supremes and somewhere
                                          around 6-8,000 miles and still going strong. I'm surprised you only got 2,000
                                          out of a set. They have a reputation of longevity and that has been my
                                          experience. Longest lasting tires I've ever had.

                                          Interesting!  My usage pattern is very hard on rear tires.  Urban commuting, hard on the throttle.   I also put a couple of 100+ mile days on that rear tire, in some good heat.  I imagine that'd shred them a bit.  As strange as it is to think about, I should probably be rotating my tires.  :)

                                        • Devian Gilbert
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Feb 9, 2012
                                            no doubt, rotate tires.

                                            these days I've been on my CAAD10 a lot more
                                            which places my BD in "cargo use only" mode.
                                            that is... right now the weather here Monterey, Ca is better than our summers, its early february, the ride calendar is quickly coming around.

                                            anyways... I've mostly been using the BD to actually haul things, errands, etc...
                                            I still have a set of Sefras Drifters in 2.0" that I keep using off and on.
                                            at the moment the BD is shod in WTB MutanoRaptors 2.4".  I've finally worn them down enough to have them roll well on pavement.

                                            weight eats tyres.
                                            especially if you have to climb, where the tire is grinding into the pavement

                                            those Drifters for about $40 each, are awesome.  its hard to imagine a better bang for the buck.

                                            d-
                                            On Feb 9, 2012, at 11:50 AM, Andrew Kreps wrote:

                                            On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 23:26, Neil Schneider <pacneil@...> wrote:

                                            Wow! I am on the third year running a set of Marathon Supremes and somewhere
                                            around 6-8,000 miles and still going strong. I'm surprised you only got 2,000
                                            out of a set. They have a reputation of longevity and that has been my
                                            experience. Longest lasting tires I've ever had.

                                            Interesting!  My usage pattern is very hard on rear tires.  Urban commuting, hard on the throttle.   I also put a couple of 100+ mile days on that rear tire, in some good heat.  I imagine that'd shred them a bit.  As strange as it is to think about, I should probably be rotating my tires.  :)

                                          • polarbear1101
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Feb 27, 2012
                                              Wow, thanks guys for all the great advice!!!
                                              Denise
                                            • polarbear1101
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Feb 27, 2012
                                                Hi Andrew,
                                                I live in Munich and ride through the English Garden to University. Therefore more than half of the daily 15 miles are on packed gravel (really fine). It gets somewhat muddy in the rain/ after the snow melts.
                                                Munich is pretty much completely flat.
                                                Thanks!
                                                Denise

                                                Message 23 of 28 , Feb 28, 2012
                                                  I like my 2.5" Maxxus Hookworms in similar conditions on my Big Dummy although I ride lower milage, slightly rougher terrain sometimes than you do. One developed an aneurism and Maxxus replaced it. I wore the center of another one smooth after about 2 years and so I replaced it. Very few flats, <1/yr. I keep the tire pressure high--the maximum and they roll very easily. Side walls are stiff, yet they do absorb shock pretty well and are excellent with even very heavy loads and curbs. I think that Hookworms would last you for years under your conditions. Only complaint: they are heavy.

                                                  David Dannenberg
                                                • Andrew Kreps
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Feb 28, 2012
                                                    On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 03:27, polarbear1101 <polarbear1101@...> wrote:
                                                    Hi Andrew,
                                                    I live in Munich and ride through the English Garden to University. Therefore more than half of the daily 15 miles are on packed gravel (really fine). It gets somewhat muddy in the rain/ after the snow melts.
                                                    Munich is pretty much completely flat.

                                                    Based on that information, I'd stay away from the heavy knobbies since you don't need to grip in dirt.  You could even ride a slick on flat gravel and in the rain, though I'd stay on the fatter side of the spectrum, say, 1.75" - 2.5" (approx. 4cm-7cm).  It makes the ride more enjoyable.

                                                    Here's a short list of tires I've ridden and can recommend:

                                                    Maxxis Hookworm - Big, beefy.  The supersize option.
                                                    Schwalbe Big Apple - Great handling characteristics.  Reflective/generator strip available as I recall.
                                                    Schwalbe Marathon Supreme - Good long distance tire, with some good grippy tread for mashing the pedals on dirt.

                                                    I believe the two Schwalbes have a 'liteskin' option, which is a folding kevlar bead that keeps the weight down.