Re: [rootsradicals] Re: Free radical standard no longer freely available?

  • Neil Schneider
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 27, 2012
      I took it from a poster that's been going around Facebook.

    • rootsradicals-owner@yahoogroups.com
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 1, 2012
        Hey all,

        Nate here, from Xtracycle.

        Sorry longtailtech is down - we did a server migration two weeks ago that went pretty well. Obviously - still have some work to do. It will be back up soon under a Developers tab on our site.

        We added password protection just to learn more about who is using our ideas and what they're doing. Really just as a way of increasing communication.

        Originally we designed this page as a wiki page that would be editable by anyone - but no one added content. We were feeling a little bit like we gave a lot, and didn't see the ideas and community growing (our main intent behind releasing our ideas as open source). That's not to say it wasn't growing - it was just hidden from us by virtue of the anonymity of the internet.

        Adding a password to the files allowed us to interact with the visitors to that site in a positive way, and understand more about how our ideas were trickling out into the world.

        We were amazed at the number of requests - literally 6 - 12 people a week were writing in. We had no idea you all were out there in such force!

        Anyone who has written in for a password might attest to our friendly emails and quick turnaround on getting what you need.

        If you visited /longtailtech before our site changed servers - you would have noticed some more nuanced language around who owns the source and what it's release is intended for. We didn't have any lawyers involved, just poked around the internet looking at how software developers both protect their code, and involve others in it's improvement.

        Essentially, we welcome your engagement with our ideas, and we hope, maybe even expect, feedback, ideas, improvements, and a community driven motivation towards growing the impact that our inventions might have on the world.

        If you need the drawings - please just send us a note (email@...), we'll forward them along with a password, and we'll be looking forward to seeing what you create!

        -Nate Byerley
        COO || Xtracycle Inc.