Re: Eliminate tensioner?

  • David Dannenberg
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 3, 2012
      Thanks for sharing that. Nice looking very clever set-up. I can tell you though that it will not clear the Kickback.  The fundamental problem is that the chain could run over the top of the KB folded, but would be crunched with the KB deployed. Tensioner runs the chain under the KB folded and unfolded.

      Do appreciate the ideas folks. Keep 'em coming.

      David Dannenberg
    • speedub_nate
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 3, 2012
        I started with the Nuvinci, too. I have an EBB, but had to come up with a chainring & cog combo that would thread the chain between the frame and the Kickback.

        Looking at your photo (and not having the bike right here with me), the problem I believe you're going to face is when you deploy the Kickback, and the pad raises forward and up to contact the boom tube, the "shoulders" of the Kickback (the yoke, maybe? -- the U'shaped piece that connects the two legs to the pad) are going to press up against the chain. In my case, I simply had no slack in the chain to allow any give when this happened. My "perfect threading" is only perfect when the Kickback is stowed.

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, TeamJT <jtrops@...> wrote:

        > I'm running a Nuvinci and had a good time figuring out how to deal with chain tension.  My goal was to get the thensioner away from the dropout so that I didn't have to deal with it when I was changing flats.
        > Here's a photo of my idler.  I made it from an old skateboard wheel mounted to a steel angle, and strapped to my Dummy with a hose clamp.  It's a bit crude, but it does the job.  When I changed my chain I ended up one link shorter and found that it is almost a magic gear so I'm not relying on the idler as much as I was before.  I don't have a kickback, but when I had my old chain on it seemed to push the chain low enough that it would have cleared it.
        > My original plan was to have both the active and return chain going above the tube with my idler pushing up on the return.  Since I'm running a small chainwheel the two chains rubbed when it was routed that way, so I went back to having it go below.  I didnt' want to lose efficiency by moving my active chain out of a straight path.
        >
        > I don't know if this will be any help, but I hope it is.  I have a side stand right now, and I will probably be getting a kickback before too long.

      • speedub_nate
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 3, 2012
          Here's a link to a photo I took of this setup (everything is upside down, in case it looks confusing).

          http://www.booboodog.net/images/bikes/xtra/xtra-kickback-relax.jpg

          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, TeamJT <jtrops@...> wrote:

          > I'm running a Nuvinci and had a good time figuring out how to deal with chain tension.  My goal was to get the thensioner away from the dropout so that I didn't have to deal with it when I was changing flats.
          > Here's a photo of my idler.  I made it from an old skateboard wheel mounted to a steel angle, and strapped to my Dummy with a hose clamp.  It's a bit crude, but it does the job.  When I changed my chain I ended up one link shorter and found that it is almost a magic gear so I'm not relying on the idler as much as I was before.  I don't have a kickback, but when I had my old chain on it seemed to push the chain low enough that it would have cleared it.
          > My original plan was to have both the active and return chain going above the tube with my idler pushing up on the return.  Since I'm running a small chainwheel the two chains rubbed when it was routed that way, so I went back to having it go below.  I didnt' want to lose efficiency by moving my active chain out of a straight path.
          >
          > I don't know if this will be any help, but I hope it is.  I have a side stand right now, and I will probably be getting a kickback before too long.

        • jtrops
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 4, 2012
            I see what you're talking about. I was thinking that with even just one more link the chain would fit in the space below the kickback. When my chain was longer I almost needed a longer angle to get the idler to keep tension on it.