Marrying old and new freeloaders

  • robbie_thek@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 20, 2011
      Another incompatibility has come up as I try to make use of a used 2002 XC Free Radical and Freeloaders. One Freeloader came to me without a Sidewinder (old optional band to keep things from falling out the back) so I followed XC's advice and bought a new Freeloader for that side. Now I find that XC changed the buckles that are used on the top straps and I can't cross-strap my loads. Has anybody figured out a way to modify the buckles so that the old and new buckles will cross-connect? Thanks in advance.
    • Pete B
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 20, 2011
        Can you take the buckle sets off the old Freeloader and thread them onto the new one? Or are the straps different widths?

        If the old buckles are broken, consider ordering a new set of Freeloader replacement Buckles and fit them to the old Freeloader.

        .
        'The only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any member of a civilised community against his will, is to prevent harm to others. He cannot rightfully be compelled for his own good, or because, in the opinion of others, it would be wise, or even right. These are good reasons for persuading him, but not for compelling him.' : John Stuart Mill

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 28, 2011
          Uh, buckles are stitched onto Freeloaders. That's interesting that XC sells replacement buckles. I wonder how they expect customers to attach the buckles. I'd have to get a sewing awl and appropriate heavy-duty nylon thread. So, for $8.00 plus the cost of a sewing awl I can adapt my Freeloaders to their arbitrary change?

          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Pete B <nackterman@...> wrote:

          > Can you take the buckle sets off the old Freeloader and thread them onto
          > the new one? Or are the straps different widths?
          >
          > If the old buckles are broken, consider ordering a new set of Freeloader
          > replacement Buckles<http://www.xtracycle.com/cargo-bicycles/cargo-bike-accessories/freeloader-replacement-buckles.html>
          > and
          > fit them to the old Freeloader.
          >
          > .
          > 'The only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any
          > member of a civilised community against his will, is to prevent harm to
          > others. He cannot rightfully be compelled for his own good, or because, in
          > the opinion of others, it would be wise, or even right. These are good
          > reasons for persuading him, but not for compelling him.' : John Stuart Mill
          >

          > On 21 December 2011 08:45, robbie_thek@... <ansi41man@...>wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > Another incompatibility has come up as I try to make use of a used 2002 XC
          > > Free Radical and Freeloaders. One Freeloader came to me without a
          > > Sidewinder (old optional band to keep things from falling out the back) so
          > > I followed XC's advice and bought a new Freeloader for that side. Now I
          > > find that XC changed the buckles that are used on the top straps and I
          > > can't cross-strap my loads. Has anybody figured out a way to modify the
          > > buckles so that the old and new buckles will cross-connect? Thanks in
          > > advance.

        • David Backeberg
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 28, 2011
          On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 8:14 PM, robbie_thek@...
          <ansi41man@...> wrote:
          > Uh, buckles are stitched onto Freeloaders. That's interesting that XC sells replacement buckles. I wonder >how they expect customers to attach the buckles. I'd have to get a sewing awl and appropriate heavy-duty >nylon thread. So, for $8.00 plus the cost of a sewing awl I can adapt my Freeloaders to their arbitrary change?

          I don't know how 'they expect' it. But I took my entire freeloader bag
          off, and used my sewing machine for putting on patches. It worked
          remarkably well... Trying to attach a picture.

          I assume the same approach would work with straps, or if it's beyond
          your abilities you could take the entire bag to a local tailor.
        • wsafranek
          Message 5 of 5 , Dec 29, 2011
            There are also Fastex buckles that provide slits in them that don't require any cutting or sewing of the straps. If you google "Fastex Repair Buckles" you could find them.