Looking for "air-heads"!! Need help with compressed air technology

  • WT
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 7, 2011
      Hello all,
      I'm working on a compressed air, pedal-assist system. I'm looking for an air-powered motor that can deliver reasonable torque @ lower RPMs and with great efficiency. If anyone that has any leads to such a motor, I'd appreciate it.

      Thanks,
      Wes Trout
      sgbikeco
    • Rob Glover
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 7, 2011
        Wes -
        Sounds like what you're looking for is a double acting piston driven motor. You'll need to know how many watts (or some other measure of power) output you want in order to size it. Input pressure and volume are the other 2 variables. If you know 2 of the 3 variables the design will leap out, or at least start to reveal itself.
        good luck, and have fun - FatRob

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 7, 2011
          On 12/7/2011 2:01 PM, WT wrote:
          > Hello all,
          > I'm working on a compressed air, pedal-assist system. I'm looking for an air-powered motor that can deliver reasonable torque @ lower RPMs and with great efficiency. If anyone that has any leads to such a motor, I'd appreciate it.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Wes Trout
          > sgbikeco

          You might want to look at the tool section of Harbor Freight for a starting
          point. The slower piston-style air motors are in the wrenches rather than the
          grinders, which are vane type. Even if it's too small for your needs, you an get
          a feel for the practicality of the motor for the job.

          That will give you something to play with, then you can go to the motor
          manufacturers such as Tonson for production items if you're planning to go into
          production.

          --
          David Forbes, Tucson, AZ
        • Pete B
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 7, 2011
            It's all in the gearing....

            Here's a quick and dirty method

            'The only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any member of a civilised community against his will, is to prevent harm to others. He cannot rightfully be compelled for his own good, or because, in the opinion of others, it would be wise, or even right. These are good reasons for persuading him, but not for compelling him.' : John Stuart Mill

          • gear.head@verizon.net
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 7, 2011
              Instructables is a great resource for a lot of great bike tech.
              Sean

              From: Pete B <nackterman@...>
              Sender: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
              Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2011 14:15:18 +1100