Re: wideloader weight limit

  • Rich W
    Message 1 of 21 , Dec 7, 2011
      I am NOT recommending this!

      Some time ago in a beer hauling thread on Bikeforums there was a claim posted of a owner having hauled home a full keg of beer, on a BD with rolling jackass center stand IIRC. A keg is 31 gallons or about 250 pounds of beer + the keg weight so close to 300 pounds. I cannot remember if it included a photo. Definitely an unbalanced load and possibly a unbalanced rider too! ;-)

      Some people are far exceeding the rated cargo weight for the BD and the Freeradical apparently.

      Rich Wood

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, jj velvetackbar <jj@...> wrote:

      > X. Stoked, but still just an X. I have carried up to 260lbs (passengers)
      > but that was on the deck, not the WL's.
      >
      > Hrm
      >
      > food for thought. Thanks folks!
      >
      > JJ

    • David Forbes
      Message 2 of 21 , Dec 7, 2011
        On 12/7/11 10:23 AM, Rich W wrote:
        > I am NOT recommending this!
        >
        > Some time ago in a beer hauling thread on Bikeforums there was a claim posted of a owner having hauled home a full keg of beer, on a BD with rolling jackass center stand IIRC. A keg is 31 gallons or about 250 pounds of beer + the keg weight so close to 300 pounds. I cannot remember if it included a photo. Definitely an unbalanced load and possibly a unbalanced rider too! ;-)
        >
        > Some people are far exceeding the rated cargo weight for the BD and the Freeradical apparently.
        >
        > Rich Wood

        Third-world countries wouldn't get anything moved at all if they
        respected the published load limits of their transportation machinery.

        --
        David Forbes, Tucson AZ
      • Mark Garvey
        Message 3 of 21 , Dec 7, 2011

          I carried a rolled up carpet.  12 x 11 to my daughters house a few years ago.  Awkward as hell,  but it was about  120 lbs all on one side.

          On Dec 6, 2011 12:20 PM, "Steve Fuller" <sfuller@...> wrote:

          I don't think I'd have any issues with this plan.

          On Dec 6, 2011, at 11:21 AM, David Dannenberg wrote:

          You can easily put one bag on each side with combination of free and wide loader. I do it with chicken feed and it is OK. I think you could then distribute half a bag on each side (75lbs side) and maybe another 25lbs in front if you have a rack or somesuch. You have a BD or an X? My experience is with the BD (and 2.5" Hookworms)

          I don't think I'd have any issues with this plan. 3 bags a trip is still 17 trips.

        • Andrew Kreps
          Message 4 of 21 , Dec 19, 2011
            On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 18:04, Pete B <nackterman@...> wrote:

            But the use of Al has a critical safety feature if you accidentally hit something very hard with the wideloader. It's like a car crumple zone, the Al tube will deform before the frame tube does. Much easier to replace a wideloader than to get the Xtracycle/Dummy frame repaired.

            I've tested that very scenario, and I can tell you, it works.  I can't mount the longloader on that side anymore, but it is still useful because I can still slide it into the frame.

            A word on weights: I can load the wideloaders and freeloaders with far more weight than I can actually ride with.  And yes, I found that out the hard way on a rather ambitious Ikea trip.  Or should I say, trips.

          • Andrew Kreps
            Message 5 of 21 , Dec 19, 2011
              On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 10:37, jj velvetackbar <jj@...> wrote:

              X. Stoked, but still just an X. I have carried up to 260lbs (passengers) but that was on the deck, not the WL's.

              Passengers are a much different animal.  You can carry a lot more passenger than cargo because people are dynamic weight.  Most of their mass bobs slightly to counteract the force of the bicycle tipping from side to side as you ride down the road.  Static cargo exacerbates this problem, and exaggerates it.  In my experience, 260lbs of passengers is something like hauling around 100lbs of cargo -- except the cargo can't get off and walk up the hills.

            • Devian Gilbert
              Message 6 of 21 , Dec 19, 2011
                I too have had the unfortunate occasion to rip a wideloader out of my BD, when a pedestrian turned directly in front of me in a bicycle path intersection where wide wooden bollards have been emplaced.
                avoiding the pedestrian, I unfortunately smacked the bollard with the driveside WideLoader, and actually had the BD endo, throwing me over the handlebars, while the bike went up and over.  that crash was painful enough.  I was going maybe 15mph.  To this day, that bollard still bares a WideLoader impression.

                I had no problems or quams with simply ordering a replacement set, and building a new wheel which taco'd in the crash.

                I had never thought that maybe if the WideLoaders were made of something stronger, that I would have simply slammed my body into the handlebars, not having the luxury of the aluminum WideLoader bending then ripping away.  I can only imagine the injury(ies) associated with slamming into the handlebar, vs being thrown from the bike and rolling (judo-esq) from the impact.  Perhaps not all riders would be as fortunate.

                which I suppose brings me to another thought.
                from a safety and litigious view, I wonder of the "benefits" to having breakaway WideLoaders.

                in years past, "breakaway" designs have been present in things such as replaceable derailleur hangers, where the hanger tab itself was designed to breakaway upon an impact of X amount of force.

                d-

                On Dec 19, 2011, at 10:40 AM, Andrew Kreps wrote:

                On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 18:04, Pete B <nackterman@...> wrote:

                But the use of Al has a critical safety feature if you accidentally hit something very hard with the wideloader. It's like a car crumple zone, the Al tube will deform before the frame tube does. Much easier to replace a wideloader than to get the Xtracycle/Dummy frame repaired.

                I've tested that very scenario, and I can tell you, it works.  I can't mount the longloader on that side anymore, but it is still useful because I can still slide it into the frame.

                A word on weights: I can load the wideloaders and freeloaders with far more weight than I can actually ride with.  And yes, I found that out the hard way on a rather ambitious Ikea trip.  Or should I say, trips.

              • jj velvetackbar
                Message 7 of 21 , Dec 19, 2011
                  Yeah, I loaded up a few -- 30 or so? bike boxes on to the wide loader. A gardening project still in the works.

                  the bike tipped backwards, but was rideable.

                  jj