700c FreeRad on a MTB, advisable?

  • Proxy
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 2, 2011
      I'm running a 58cm cyclocross frame with 35mm tires presently,
      but I'm eager to reconfigure with a frame with much lower standover height. I've been considering something like 17" hardtail 29er frame,
      but they are often more expensive, and come with disk brakes and are not as prevalent used as 26" MTB frames.

      I intend to keep my present wheelset. Could I consider doing a rebuild on a 135mm spaced (8speed) mountain bike frame and replace the front fork with a rigid cyclocross fork? Or would my 700c FR not fit a MTB frame because of the change in chainstay lengths?

      Thanks
    • Rob Glover
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 2, 2011
        you need a tall bike for a while. won't make you more competitive, but that's ok.  get over the competencies thing, learn how to ride..sorry, i'm FatRob

        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 3, 2011
          Using 700c rear wheel on an Xtracycle will limit the size of the tyre that you can use. There just isn't enough clearance for a decent amount of rubber.

          However you can run 700c or 29er or whatever on the front and 26" MTB on the rear. I used this setup on my second Xtracycle build and it worked very well.
        • Proxy
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 3, 2011
            Maybe if I describe it differently the distinction will be clearer:
            I have a free radical with v-brake bosses positioned for a 700c tire.
            I do not intend to re-weld those bosses, thus I will not put a 26" tire
            on the FR. My FR lacks disk brake flanges, so I would not put a disk brake 26" MTB wheel on, either.

            Basically, my question revolves around this area: is the 700c model of FR capable of fitting a 26" MTB frame that has long enough chainstays?
            Or am I being fanciful imagining that there is a MTB frame out there with 14.5 inches between it's chainstay bridge and dropouts?

            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "rayretrovox" <ray@...> wrote:

            > Using 700c rear wheel on an Xtracycle will limit the size of the tyre that you can use. There just isn't enough clearance for a decent amount of rubber.
            >
            > However you can run 700c or 29er or whatever on the front and 26" MTB on the rear. I used this setup on my second Xtracycle build and it worked very well.

          • rayretrovox
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 4, 2011
              Yes, the 700c version will fit on a 26" MTB frame.

              All dimensions are the same, the only difference is the brake bosses.

              ray

              --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Proxy" <lists@...> wrote:

              > Basically, my question revolves around this area: is the 700c model of FR capable of fitting a 26" MTB frame

            • speedub_nate
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 4, 2011
                What Ray says (the FreeRads are the same dimensions, except for the boss positions) PLUS if you went the route of choosing a 29" frame as you suggested in your first post, you'd run into a fit problem since the tongue of the FreeRad wouldn't reach the bridge on the 29"ers chainstay.

                In fact, I went this route (29" frame), and had to make a custom plate to secure my FreeRadical, but was still limited to a fat 26" wheel/tire in the rear due to the inherent clearance issues (but went with a 29" wheel / rigid fork up front). This results in a slightly low BB height, resulting in occasional pedal strikes, but a lower center of gravity that's ideal for a loaded bike. Geometry is pretty much spot on as I fitted a suspension corrected 26" fork (with sufficient clearance for my 29" tire) to preserve the correct steering geometry. Alternatively, I could have gone with a taller 29" fork to raise the BB but would have "choppered out" the steering.

                - Nate

                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 8, 2011
                  --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "speedub_nate"
                  > the tongue of the FreeRad wouldn't reach the bridge on the 29"ers chainstay.

                  Thanks, Nate. I see the point, I'm not familiar with 29er frames, it would not have occurred to me that the freerad tongue would not be long enough. Swooping out the front fork is also interesting an effect I hadn't considered.

                  I better start keeping a measuring tape on hand so I can take notes when I come across a possible donor bike.
                • Proxy
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 8, 2011
                    --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "rayretrovox" <ray@...> wrote:

                    > Using 700c rear wheel on an Xtracycle will limit the size of the tyre that you can use. There just isn't enough clearance for a decent amount of rubber.

                    Thanks for pointing that out, Ray. I know that I barely fit my 35mm Schwalbes on my current 700c build. I'm pretty happy with them, I'm mostly on pavement. If I was doing more trails, I'd likely consider a 26 inch setup more important.
                  • speedub_nate
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 11, 2011
                      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Proxy" <lists@...> wrote:

                      > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "speedub_nate"
                      > > the tongue of the FreeRad wouldn't reach the bridge on the 29"ers chainstay.
                      >
                      > Thanks, Nate. I see the point, I'm not familiar with 29er frames, it would not have occurred to me that the freerad tongue would not be long enough. Swooping out the front fork is also interesting an effect I hadn't considered.
                      >
                      > I better start keeping a measuring tape on hand so I can take notes when I come across a possible donor bike.

                      No prob. If you want to see some of the planning I did to get the geometry right, search for xtracycle blackbuck geometry and take a look at my mtbr thread (Blackbuck being the 29er frame I ended up using). Other than fabbing the custom FAP for the tongue to mount to, it all went together pretty easily, despite the frame size.